Lehmann BCL vs Schiit Lyr for Audeze LCD-2
May 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Show

100+ Head-Fier
Firstly, pardon me if this is thought to be a rehash of amp matching for the LCD-2 but I am looking at a comparison between the Lehmann BCL (non USB) versus the Schiit Lyr for Amping the LCD-2 Rev 2. I couldn't find any direct comparison as these amps are a few years apart. I am trying to avoid extrapolating the very brief mentions of the BCL to the LCD2r1 and the Lyr to the LCD2r2.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, inputs and especially direct comparisons of the BCL to the Lyr on the LCD2r2. I do not have a chance to audition these side by side. Best I can do is audition them weeks apart. Not a good choice.

Thanks in advance :)

P/S: any input on other amps if felt that they are leaps and bounds beyond the mentioned (but within the price range) are still welcome.

May 14, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:
Go with the LYR for sure...

Yup, have decided to bite the bullet and try the Lyr and see what all the fuss is about. Ridiculous power out though; impressive but does worry me a little in case someone decides to turn it up and fry my cans.

Quote:
I think the BCL is not power enough for LCD2

I think there is more than sufficient power for the LCD-2. Whilst it may not power the LCD-2 to the extent of its safe operation threshold, I thought turning it to ~75% of the dial was on the verge of deafening. That being said, wasn't impressed by the sound of the BCL on the LCD. Suits the HD800 and HD650 better. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
Yup, have decided to bite the bullet and try the Lyr and see what all the fuss is about. Ridiculous power out though; impressive but does worry me a little in case someone decides to turn it up and fry my cans.

Sometimes not everything is about power. 
Didnt like how the Lyr sounded with Audeze (weak bass), it works well with hifiman headphones though. 

To be honest i havent done an A/B comparison vs the Lehmann, cant help on that. 

May 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 23
Some users also have grounding problems with the Lyr. Audible humming caused by ground looping.

May 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
Some users also have grounding problems with the Lyr. Audible humming caused by ground looping.

Found the same problem. Went to the tube rolling thread and found some useful tips on noise reduction with tubes.

May 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 23
I think the Lyr is overkill, but the BCL is too expensive. You could always look into the Matrix M-Stage. It's nearly a 1:1 clone of the BCL and sounds about the same. 

The M-Stage has more than enough power on tap and the LCD-2 is pretty easy to drive as it is. It's not that demanding at all.

May 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 23
BCL has a lo-mid-highgain switch, dun see how it will not drive/control the LCD to great heights...its a question about sound taste,
Lyr too, a powderkeg...mine is humless.
Taste can be tweaked by copper/silver powercords rcas...okok..tats a wormcan.
tongue.gif

May 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 23
Another thing is be careful with the Lyr, it can make magic smoke appear from your headphones!

May 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 23
^ Yeah, never ever turn the amp on or off with cans inserted.

I own both amps, btw, and prefer the Lyr for my LCD2's.  Oddly enough, though, I like the BCL better for the LCD-3's.  I honestly think it's a matter of tonality more than power and the Lehmann's faster attack doesn't mesh as well with the LCD-2's as it does with most of my other headphones.

May 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 23
Interested on this as well.

driver 8, what do you like more on the Lyr for LCD-2 than BCL?  is it merely more slam?
how's detail retrieval on the Lyr vs BCL?  I though BCL detail and speed is one the best.  The more I upgrade the source, BCL is getting even more detail, smooth and delicate.

May 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 23
Yeah, the Lyr seems to enhance dynamics more than the BCL, whereas the BCL is more of a neutral amp.  To these ears, the LCD-2 benefits from that coloration whereas the 3 doesn't.  This is going off memory as I haven't used the Lyr in about 2 weeks now, but I did switch between the 2 several times when it was in use, so I'm fairly confident in this preference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back