Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear headphones amp. *** Pictures ***
Apr 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 52
So sorry, did not mean to offend anyone here.  I'm not quite sure why my personal observation would illicit such a rant, but again my apologies.  That such effort would be needed to educate those of us who are far less technical - that burden must be horrific.  I'll crawl back into my hole and shut up now.  Sorry I posted at all.

May 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #17 of 52
May 23, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 52

Quote:
is this amp work well with T1? And how does it compare to Beyerdynamic A1 Headphone Amplifier & T1 if anyone know?

http://home.arcor.de/p32r/heafi/7.jpg

Input signal stage (small board with WIMA-s and relay) has safety device that does not allow to high input signal to pass through. BCL does not have that.

Supply has the same regulators (topology) but I think that I see a choke or something that allows soft start... I can not see clearly from this picture. BCL does not have that, but has resistors as "cold start current limiter". The same crap that has use only first second when you turn amplifier ON.

Amplification is achieved through the same topology as is in BCL/LC except that here we have "separated" opamps (dual mono). Probably there are two BCxxsomething as small signal transistors and BDxxsomething as power transistors. Stereo separation is, probably, better and handling with signal is also better. Transparency? Who would know that...

Trere is a lot of WIMA MKT capacitors that I am aways trying to avoid, because they sound like crap - they tend to have too metallic and too artificial sound. Some people love them because they give feeling that everything is "clear and precise". Yes, if you like House, Techno and crap like that...

Around opamp, I think that I see ceramic capacitors. They are good for "taking out the trash", but not in the signal line. Maybe this is mica capacitor?

On input I see cheap MKT Wima that sounds "metal and harsh" (explained before).

Resistors are stock, metal film Vishay Beyschlag that are "usuall product" in every good German vacuum cleaner...

Pot is ALPS as in all other amplifiers.

Honestly, for 900 EUR I expected much more. And my conclusion is the same, as it was for BCL.

I would replace all this resistors crap from signal line with Takman REY or PRP. Also I would replace big WIMA crap with Vishay MKP and small one with german Styroflex. In PSU circuit I would put Vishay MKT 1822 (or MKC because they can withstand high temperature without degradation).

In headphone output, instead this metal film rubbish, I would use Koa Speer (ex Kiwame) or Allen Bradely.

As input DC blocking capacitors I would use good (big) MKP caps or combination PIO/Polystyrene.

Electrolytic caps are in all aplifiers the same - crap. Usually Panasonic FC (Not FM - FM is just a cheap elco with low ESR good only for supplies.) and good Phillips/Vishay are sufficient for this. High temperature caps are always better because butique crap like Elna, Muse and Black Gate would not tolerate high temperature too much.

May 24, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 52
It sounds GREAT with the T1.  I can't speak about the Beyer amp because I don't have it.  

May 25, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 52
Must be good if you brought two...may I know how it compares with your PS audio GCHA ?

I guess it is not nice to say there are clones around when people are spending these kind of money, but the Matrix M-stage has been hailed as a clone to the BCL. If only the M-stage could get me a large slice of the BCL performance...

May 25, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 52

Quote:
Must be good if you brought two...may I know how it compares with your PS audio GCHA ?

I guess it is not nice to say there are clones around when people are spending these kind of money, but the Matrix M-stage has been hailed as a clone to the BCL. If only the M-stage could get me a large slice of the BCL performance...

No I think it is not. I had M-stage, but I was not satisfied with results. I think that M-stage is far below BCL. Real clone to BCL is - LC.

Matrix M stage uses stock parts from the same manufacturer. Matrix sounds bright, closed and sterile. Lehmann uses better, and carefully picked parts from different manufacturers. He tried to make "an interestning and more involving sound". The same goes with Lovely Cube. You can buy PCB and pick exactly the same parts that are used in BCL (I did that in one LC.)

When I compare Matrix M-stage to custom made LC (Lovely Cube) - Lovely Cube wins in all aspects.

May 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 52
The is the only amp I would never sell. It is very fast and neutral. Can't wait for their new line ups when release sometime late this year or next year (as per Lehmann Audio).

May 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #23 of 52
I would just like to point out that the bcl has exaclty the same circuit as the lovely cube and sounds exactly the same.
If you are hearing differences you are most likely imagining them, it is like saying one bcl sounds completely different from another.
The m-stage may sound ever so slightly different as it is a slightly modded version of the bcl, but the difference shouldn't be huge.

May 27, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #24 of 52
The Lovely Cube fanboys can keep repeating themselves until they're blue in their faces and that still won't make it "true" for everyone. 

A number of us have owned a BCL and a Lovely Cube at the same time and didn't find them to sound even remotely identical.  I wouldn't suggest to anyone that one was "better" than the other....but I most certainly wouldn't claim they sounded the same to me.  And no, I don't have any idea why they sound different to me - I'm not an electrical engineer.  They just do. 

Now comes the part where 4 or 5 of you chime in and tell me, yet again, that I'm not hearing what I'm hearing.  Sigh......these types of threads are tired and rather pointless. 

Just to stoke the flames of this ridiculous topic a little more, this is the part where I admit that I'm sitting here listening to Mark Knopfler riff away on my HD800s through the headphone jack out of my iDecco....and yes, I think it actually sounds better than through my BCL......gasp!!!!!! 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 52

They do not sound identical but the circuit is. And circuit is so simple that is stupid to spend so much money on such thing. I would rather make it (DIY) on my own...What I did two weeks ago and it sounds even better because totally different power supply. Stock power supply in Black Cube Linear is low budget rubbish. I would like to see a engineer who will convince me that two LM regulators and a few cheap electrolytes are enough for powering entire amplifier. I would like to see separated channels which is not to expensive (LM costs maybe 1 USD...) If you look better at Burson Amp, you will see that the signal circuit is almost the same as in BCL, but power supply is more convincing. That is because power supply affects on final sound quality. Almost 70%.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #26 of 52
I actually think the m-Stage sounds warm and slow...

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #28 of 52
khatch -- Thanks so much for sharing your comparison between the real Lehmann Black Cube and the Lovely Cube.

I started the thread about the Lovely Cube a couple of years ago because I felt it would provide a nice "modder" friendly project for those of us that want to get their feet wet in DIY. I bought the amp on whim and it has served me well. Surprisingly, it has developed a small cult following. I can't count how many times I've been asked for a comparison but up until your post I don't think anyone has offered anything as detailed.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #29 of 52
Small, tight built up case, signal cables pass near transformer, there is only one set of regulators (for all), and transformer is toroidal, with ultra fast rectifier (BYV diodes). This is good combination for making noises when you pump up the volume to the max. On all headphones that I own there is very weak noise.

Quote:
Some people even try MDR-7506 is the kind of sound, the maximum volume there will be noise?

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #30 of 52
What shocked me also was learning about circuit topology and schematics after building the Aussie Jaycar kit amp, and to find that the output topology of this 30 dollar amp was the same using the same output transistors and opamp input topology.  The only difference being the Lehmann was without negative feedback and the Jaycar had feedback.

However with all my cans, the kit amp had better channel separation - possibly due to a more symmetrical circuit layout.  With the LCD2s, I could hear that the Lehmann was faster and the kit amp was a little smeared in transient - this wasn't noticeable with the quick HD800s.  Possibly because NFB will affect timing.  Still - a 30 dollar kit amp that had no disadvantages driving the HD800 and with better channel separation...and quieter too possibly because of the PSU board was a separate piece.  Does bring the question of pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back