Lease Over In 10 Months, Best Choice In AWD Performance Car?
Oct 19, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
you can't buy a skyline gtr new at all. The model he showed is discontinued. You need to go with an importer or buy used over in europe. The current model skyline in japan is actually what we call the g35 here in the states:
here is the next skyline gtr, which here in america arrives in 2007, and will be badged infiniti,not skyline:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...ept/home.shtml

Yes, I'm familiar with the Skyline, thanks.

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
they do share the same blood. Though designed by audi, don't think the passat for instance didnt borrow from the a6, or the bug borrow from the TT. I can't say from your experiences, but my friend got a GTI last year and has zeeo problems.

Totally agree with you mjg.....Nightfall I don't know where you get this idea of vw being inferior quality to audi. In past 20 yrs, 100% sure audi had more reliability and dependability issue. In past 10 yrs, 100% sure audi finally caught up with vw. In past 5 yrs, 100% sure audi only has better material used than vw. So where is your idea coming from???
Yes I admit vw aren't as luxurious and refined as audi, but concerning build quality they're almost the same except expensive plastic, carpet, upholstery, etc. I've driven every GTI except mk1 and R32 and this includes TT/TT convertible, A4 quattro, A6 quattro, various passats. Also I always saw more problems from audi than vw in the past. To me build quality is almost identical to each other. Maybe vw might be even better in terms of dependability and reliability. Please note 'might' used in the sentence.

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #48 of 83
In the bay area here, the VW services are known to have some questionable reputations. I don't know anything first hand, but I have several friends who've vowed never to buy another VW in the San Francisco area. It wasn't just the after sale service that they complained about - the overall build of the car was less than desired. I think some of the VW models sold in the US aren't built in Germany as well (Jetta I believe). VW might have had some build issues with new factories outside of Germany, much like Mercedes with their first couplf of M class SUVs.

The guys with Audi don't complain nearly as much.

Oct 19, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
in the 2003 reviews, some of the reviewers preferred the non sports package. There might not be that much in terms of performance difference. Maybe you should try the RWD G35 with and without the sports package and see if there's a difference there.

Nightfall, imo shafu has really good points here. From what I heard from you, terrible roads+ heavy snow+ hilly terrain +good performance/luxury balance + sound lease= G35x. Personally only driven G35 and G35coupe, but the difference should NOT be vast where you will be turned off by 1 inch difference in rim/tire and sports suspension. Besides uneven and rough terrain will only make this really attractive package without spending more on lease. Btw, when you drive G35 sportspckg and G35x no sportspkg, DON'T be fooled by sportspackage, but RWD/AWD factor. Keep in mind the difference between these 2 car lies much more on drivetrain, NOT merely sportspackage. If there is huge difference for you, GET the whole package on G35x. I thought your budget constraint allows this (upto 40K vehicle).

Another alternative would be New Acura RL. It might not be so athletic and sporty, but it has everything you're asking for except price (Big6, 4WD, lux appointment, long wheelbase comfort, and trademark honda build quality).

Big Tip: there is New audi a4 due next fall. Meaning all a4 and s4 must go on handsome financial incentive next yr. You might get a good deal on leftover s4 if you find any.

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #50 of 83
I am also an Audi lover and an AWD fan. My family all drives AWD cars --I currently own a '98 Audi A4 2.8 quattro, my dad has the BMW 330xi, my mother drives the MB E320 4matic, and my brother drives a '97 Subaru Legacy GT.

I have driven many luxury and sports cars and I do agree that the current A4 3.0 is lacking a bit in power and handling (my A4 lacks a bit in power too), but mostly it has a sloppy manual transmission.

My favorite car that I have driven (under $50,000) was a 2001 Audi S4. Perhaps you should look into purchasing a used 2002 S4 with low miles on it. It is fast as hell and handles tight, while giving you the Audi luxury and style you are looking for. I have not driven the new S4, but it is way up there in price.

I have driven a Subaru WRX and I love it, but it lacks the refinement that I am used to in the Audi. I would definitely consider getting one since it is fun to drive, but on my commute to work in stop and go traffic it wouldn't be that much fun. I imagine that the WRX STi would be a bit uncomfortable as a daily driver on those rough roads.

I think you should at least test drive the G35. I have ridden as a passenger in the RWD version and it seems like a great car...at least one of the best looking cars on the market today.

I am borrowing my uncle's BMW 540 since my car is in service right now and the car is a rocket. On the wet roads today I had a lot of wheelspin from a complete stop, something I never had in the Audi. AWD is a great thing to have, even in the flatlands of Philadelphia and New Jersey.

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #51 of 83
infiniti-m45.jpg

New M45. Check it out at www.inifiniti.com.

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
I think some of the VW models sold in the US aren't built in Germany as well (Jetta I believe). VW might have had some build issues with new factories outside of Germany, much like Mercedes with their first couplf of M class SUVs.

A large percentage of the VW's sold in the US are assembled in Volkswagens Mexico plant.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #53 of 83
Yes I agree there is some discrepancy and difference between 'made in germany' and 'made in mexico'. However, the difference could NOT be so big and bad due to simple assembly. Most problems come from parts as well.

Of course I prefer 'german', but I'm very sure those plants in USA, brazil, mexico, china, spain, poland, etc are under heavy surveillance and control from the mother company. Therefore, quality control is there to reduce to acceptable defective level.

I only meant audi and vw are not that different due to engineering blueprint. In my experience, I've seen just as much reliability problems from both companies even recently. Specially electrical problems exist in those 2 makers.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #54 of 83
There is another thing that may be playing a role. People that buy Audi's may take better care of their cars overall. If this is the case, it would only make sense for them to have fewer reliability issues.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #55 of 83
Originally Posted by mjg
you can't buy a skyline gtr new at all. The model he showed is discontinued. You need to go with an importer or buy used over in europe. The current model skyline in japan is actually what we call the g35 here in the states:
here is the next skyline gtr, which here in america arrives in 2007, and will be badged infiniti,not skyline:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars...cept/home.shtml

Yes, I'm familiar with the Skyline, thanks.

"Can you buy those new in the UK?"

i appreciate your sarcasm. Your the one that didn't know they are no longer in production.

I said a little about the car, why don't you relax yourself instead of making sarcastic remarks?

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i appreciate your sarcasm. Your the one that didn't know they are no longer in production.

I said a little about the car, why don't you relax yourself instead of making sarcastic remarks?

Again, I'm familiar with the Skyline, I am not familiar with where you could and could not buy them. My original question was to pbirkett, and he answered it.

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #57 of 83
ok.

well all i said was you can buy a "new" skyline, it's called a g35.
I didn't know this some private conversation, won't disturb you next time.

<sigh>

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #58 of 83
BigD said:
Totally agree with you mjg.....Nightfall I don't know where you get this idea of vw being inferior quality to audi.

My information came from inside the auto industry. And the people that commented on VW cars werent comparing them to Audi, they were comparing them to EVERYTHING!
I have no personal issues with VW, I even once owned an excellent car from them, the Corrado SLC VR6. I'm simply quoting what I was told, by respected people doing an analysis of VW's current situation.
You can either believe it or not, I know what I was told. I mentioned what I did as a warning to other Head-Fi'ers here possibly contemplating purchases.

JC

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #59 of 83
nightfall;

I respect you heard that, but after all, you are discussing an opinion, of a drunken disgruntled employee of a company. ; )

If i have an opinion, it's from my own experience, i won't rehash what someone told me as my own opinion. It's a subjective thing.

And don't forget what was said, audi is back inb uisness now, it was years no one cared about them, then they came back strong a few years ago. VW was always considered one of the most reliable cars to get for a mass production vehicle. You checkout any VW and you find most of the refinements in an audi, but not as as posh and up to date on the latest gizmos. You pay extra for your
newest gadget (that doesn't mean performance or something).

I can have a GTI spank an s4, in fact the fastest s4 in the world would eat the dust of a custom built GTI race car, which is fwd.

a guy i knew from efnet zerin drove one of the fastest done up last model s4s.
He had every bolt on, custom single turbo, and had it up to 450 something hp.

He sold it and got a gti, which has far more potential. Different strokes.
btw, s4's chipped are none for blown turbos. Not the most reliable cars in the world. Also prone to electric problems (my dad has an a6). As are bmws and mercedes. You need very expensive parts, and I believe their service might not be the greatest either. His dot matrix display has gone out like 3 times already. My confused and chaotic point here is no car company is the best.

You can't blame a group based on incidents and examples. It's kinda closeminded i think. Audi isn't the most reliable car either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back