Lease Over In 10 Months, Best Choice In AWD Performance Car?
Oct 25, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #76 of 83
Imyourzero said:
Nightfall, I don't know about having a RWD vehicle in the environment you describe. Even with Blizzaks I would think an AWD vehicle would be a much better choice. I own a Mustang with ~370 hp and I wouldn't dare drive it in the winter here, Blizzaks or not!

I was thinking earlier that the G35 with the AWD option would be your best bet for a combination of performance, practicality, and refinement. My choice for a daily driver would probably be the STi, but then again I'm mostly after raw performance at this stage in my life. The G35 is a great looking car and the AWD option would make it very drivable in the conditions you describe. I know the lack of the 17" wheels on the AWD model is putting you off, but I doubt the car would be very capable with the stock Z-rated tires, even with AWD. You'd probably need winter tires (or all-season tires at the very least) so you're looking at replacing the tires anyway. The suspension upgrade would improve handling but would almost certainly reduce ride quality, so you may be better off passing on that options.

Well, those of you who have commented about the likely negative experience that I would have with the G35 coupe in snow are right, I'm sure, the more I have thought about it. BUT, the G35 sedan which you several of you are recommending, and which was one of my early choices is now completely out of the running. Besides not bring able to get the sport package (larger wheels, tires, better springs, shocks, etc.) with the AWD option, and also not being able to get the HIGHLY desirable aero package with it either, I just now found out about the absolute final reason I cant even possibly consider this car. The AWD model is only available with an AUTOMATIC transmission. YOU CANT EVEN GET A STICK!!!
What the HELL is Inifiniti thinking???
confused.gif

JC

Oct 25, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #77 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Well, those of you who have commented about the likely negative experience that I would have with the G35 coupe in snow are right, I'm sure, the more I have thought about it. BUT, the G35 sedan which you several of you are recommending, and which was one of my early choices is now completely out of the running. Besides not bring able to get the sport package (larger wheels, tires, better springs, shocks, etc.) with the AWD option, and also not being able to get the HIGHLY desirable aero package with it either, I just now found out about the absolute final reason I cant even possibly consider this car. The AWD model is only available with an AUTOMATIC transmission. YOU CANT EVEN GET A STICK!!!
confused.gif

JC

Heh, well I'm definitely with you on that aspect JC. I definitely couldn't have an automatic tranny in a performance car. They are more "convenient" and are more consistent at the track, but not being able to row through the gears definitely takes away from the fun factor of driving IMO. If I'm getting a "driver's car," I want to have the control over the car that a manual tranny provides.

The search for you continues.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #78 of 83
Just recently on NYT automobiles section, I found Audi dealers giving 2004 S4 for $499 a month $3600 due signing. Next year, this deal could get sweeter if you find any leftover S4...

Oct 25, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #79 of 83
Quote:

The AWD model is only available with an AUTOMATIC transmission. YOU CANT EVEN GET A STICK!!!
confused.gif

JC

They're probably thinking that people buying a 40 grand luxury vehicle don't want to shift their own gears. Not trying to be rude, but it seems like we're quickly discovering that either you're too picky or what you're looking for simply doesn't exist
biggrin.gif

AWD in a car is somewhat rare as it is, though I agree that it's a good idea since you live in snow country and near a steep hill. Then it seems you want high performance, say close to 300hp. This is becoming more common in general, but still rare enough that it's limiting. Then you want honest to goodness luxury, which tosses all the Subarus, Evos and other low cost AWD monsters. And the price limit, though I can't fault you on that one. It seems like you'll probably have to compromise on one of these features to avoid going for another TT.

Oct 26, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #81 of 83
Subaru Legend GT.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #82 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
They're probably thinking that people buying a 40 grand luxury vehicle don't want to shift their own gears. Not trying to be rude, but it seems like we're quickly discovering that either you're too picky or what you're looking for simply doesn't exist
biggrin.gif
"

"AWD in a car is somewhat rare as it is, though I agree that it's a good idea since you live in snow country and near a steep hill. Then it seems you want high performance, say close to 300hp. This is becoming more common in general, but still rare enough that it's limiting. Then you want honest to goodness luxury, which tosses all the Subarus, Evos and other low cost AWD monsters. And the price limit, though I can't fault you on that one. It seems like you'll probably have to compromise on one of these features to avoid going for another TT.

"

As far as your comment that:

"people buying a 40 grand luxury vehicle don't want to shift their own gears"

I would agree if the G35 sedan wasnt being marketed and sold as a performance sedan !

As for your other comments, again, some good points, but let me be specific. And I quote my original comments, beginning the thread:

"This rules out any car that dosent have all wheel drive (trust me on this). I need a vehicle with solid performance, excellent handling, and a certain degree of comfort/luxury. It needs to be priced at or under $40k and I intend to lease the car."

Asking for "solid performance" dosent mean a requirement of 300hp, in the right car, 250, or even a bit less for a two seater might do.

"a certain degree of comfort/luxury" also dosent necessarily equate to "honest to goodness luxury" and reasonably, in this price range, you arent getting that anyway.

I agree that AWD is somewhat rare, though far rarer here in the United States than elsewhere. There are any number of awd cars available in Europe with excellent performance that meet my requirements, but the manufacturers, all of which sell in the US, simply dont bring them here!
And yes, this isnt a question with an easy answer or I wouldnt have asked for opinions and recommendations here. Thanks to many of those who have commented, I do have a great deal more information than I started out with, and will continue to sort this out.Thankfully, I do have a bit of time on my side, so perhaps other options will appear, ala the Mazdaspeed 6 awd performance car.

JC

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #83 of 83
Quote:

As far as your comment that:

"people buying a 40 grand luxury vehicle don't want to shift their own gears"

I would agree if the G35 sedan wasnt being marketed and sold as a performance sedan !

As for your other comments, again, some good points, but let me be specific. And I quote my original comments, beginning the thread:

"This rules out any car that dosent have all wheel drive (trust me on this). I need a vehicle with solid performance, excellent handling, and a certain degree of comfort/luxury. It needs to be priced at or under $40k and I intend to lease the car."

Asking for "solid performance" dosent mean a requirement of 300hp, in the right car, 250, or even a bit less for a two seater might do.

"a certain degree of comfort/luxury" also dosent necessarily equate to "honest to goodness luxury" and reasonably, in this price range, you arent getting that anyway.

I agree that AWD is somewhat rare, though far rarer here in the United States than elsewhere. There are any number of awd cars available in Europe with excellent performance that meet my requirements, but the manufacturers, all of which sell in the US, simply dont bring them here!
And yes, this isnt a question with an easy answer or I wouldnt have asked for opinions and recommendations here. Thanks to many of those who have commented, I do have a great deal more information than I started out with, and will continue to sort this out.Thankfully, I do have a bit of time on my side, so perhaps other options will appear, ala the Mazdaspeed 6 awd performance car.

JC

You're right that they are marketing the G35 as a sport sedan, though really Infiniti is a luxury brand. If Nissan had an AWD version of the 350Z, maybe you'd be set there. It's hard to say why the AWD version doesn't have the manual as an option when the 2WD version does. It might be a technical reason, and they probably feel the sportshift feature is enough. It would be for me, but I live near Chicago and there are simply times I'd rather not be forced to shift.

I still agree about the AWD being a good idea. You could always get a 40k luxo-SUV with a V8 or something, but you'd lose out on handling. My comment about luxury was partly related to your thoughts on the Subaru Legacy GT. I haven't sat in one, but I hear the interior is pretty decent with leather, moonroof, power seats, heated seats, in dash CD changer - pretty much everything but a navi. Now, it's still a Subaru and ONLY a 30k car, so if you're really trying to spend 40, you make the choosing even a bit harder because the higher price suggests more refinement that a cheaper car can't match. I was also puzzled that you were considering the STi or Evo because they are econoboxes on super-steroids and offer little in the way of comfort/luxury
biggrin.gif

As for the Mazdaspeed6, I've got my eye on that one too
biggrin.gif
My family has had great luck with Mazdas and I really believe they are well-engineered cars. My last car was a Mazda Protege5 and, while it wasn't terribly powerful, I was really impressed with the suspension and handling. Mazda has some experience with AWD. They have offered it in MPVs in the past and may still do so (I really have no idea). They also offered an all-wheel drive version of the Protege5 with 170hp in Japan, as compared to the 135hp FWD available here. No clue why they did that, they probably would have sold more of the J-spec version in America, though the price would have been higher. Anyway, the Mazda6 is a pretty nice car in the Camry/Accord segment, and it should be pretty quick once it gets the Mazdaspeed treatment. I have no fears about handling since that has always been a Mazda strong suit, but it'll be interesting to see what the addition of AWD does. I wouldn't hold your breath on the luxury factor though. Mazdas have traditionally had pretty decent ergonomics, but I'd be surprised if leather was even a factory option on the first year Mazdaspeed6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back