Lease Over In 10 Months, Best Choice In AWD Performance Car?
Oct 18, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #31 of 83
This is what I'd go for (second hand of course)....

ssd.jpg

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #32 of 83
i definatly wouldn't call the TT a sports car, it's out built on the same frame as a new bug. The car is slow and heavy.

it's more like an affordable midlife crisis car i guess ; ) My friends brother had 2 of them and hated em, he hated to get rid of one because of alot of issues, replaced it with another pos.

Oct 19, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #33 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Didn't read the whole thread, only the original post. Just trying to be helpful. The A4 isn't a step backwards from a TT. The A4 is a sedan and the TT is a sports car. Maybe an A6 would be the answer if the A4 is perceived as a step "backwards."

No problems DLee. I appreciate any assistance or recommendations. I owned an A4 before the two TT's. I was referring only to how the A4 is a big step backwards in performance from the TT, and its alsoa less expensive vehicle. You have to move to the S4 before you can get a 4 series that will perform. Its a nice, very well made sedan, but even Audi has acknowledged it needs more horsepower.
And an A6 is far larger than I need, as is an A4, when it comes to that.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #34 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i definatly wouldn't call the TT a sports car, it's out built on the same frame as a new bug. The car is slow and heavy.

it's more like an affordable midlife crisis car i guess ; ) My friends brother had 2 of them and hated em, he hated to get rid of one because of alot of issues, replaced it with another pos.

Yet amazingly it earned a spot as one of the ten best cars in both Car and Driver and Automobile magazines for multiple consecutive years.
It's certainly no supercar, but its damned well made, brilliantly designed, comfortable, handles solidly, and in the 225hp version, is a more than adequate performer. Add in superb winter and poor weather capabilities with its awd and I dont see what it has to apologize for.
And my current one went for $42,800.00. Not all that affordable either, to many.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #35 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
I think Nightfall mentioned that since he is coming from an Audi TT, an A4 would be a step backwards. He also didn't like the 330xi. Seems like Nightfall is a driver who knows what he wants - he just hasn't seen the right combo (for the right price) just yet.

You're exactly right, Shafu.
And I want to make it clear that I'm not "knocking" the 330xi. BMW makes excellent cars. This model is simply a bit underpowered, and dosent come close to matching Audi's interiors. I simply feel that for over $40k, I would want more.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #37 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I currently drive a Nissan 350Z and a Jeep Wrangler and I love them both. It took two vehicles to replace my 1998 Audi A4 which I bought new and drove for five years. After your extensive experience with Audi, I don't think that you will be happy with any of the alternatives that you have listed. Have you thought about an A4? I have heard good things about the BMW equivalent. Believe me, you are going to find that Audi's quattro AWD system is hard to beat. They have been doing it for a long time...

You're right again, DLee, Audi has spoiled me in a number of ways. And I enjoyed my time with the A4 too, its a lovely car, simply lacking a bit in handling and horsepower, which is, of course, what the S4 addresses.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #38 of 83
i was under the impression i can get a TT used for like 25k

(thats what i thought)
o well.

Maybe it was just his luck. (my friends bro) that he had problems with em.

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Nightfall,

Someone mentioned the R32. Handles just as well, but may be down on HP to Sti or the Evo.

How are the lease rates (if any) on a used current gen S4? (that is, if you can find one).
Regards - reynman

Two good points, Reynman. The R32, is an exceptional car that I would normally consider. The problem is that Volkswagen, over the past couple years is having horrifying issues with build quality, reliability, service and the whole package. I wouldnt touch them with someone elses ten foot pole these days.

I would love to work out a deal on a used, current gen S4, the problem is that they have only literally been out for a few months, and even by next August, there wont yet be any available. I would have to wait until the 2 year leases expire in June/July of 2006.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #40 of 83
nightfall,

i know you know this, but audi is a vw.

Also, alot of my friends are into vdubs, and that's totally not true. They are great cars fit and finish, every bit as fine as typical audi. Not saying audi isn't a step up, but vw is a damn nice car for the money, and strikingly close to audi in some respects.

The r32 is no slouch, and would give the new s4 a run for it's money, even with it's v8. Up the boost a bit and say bye bye ti the new s4.

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #41 of 83
mjg said:
i was under the impression i can get a TT used for like 25k

The first generation ones, with the 180hp engine (2000-2001 vintage) , you should be able to find for that money, but it isnt all that fast. Otherwise, a very nice car though.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #42 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
nightfall,

i know you know this, but audi is a vw.

Also, alot of my friends are into vdubs, and that's totally not true. They are great cars fit and finish, every bit as fine as typical audi. Not saying audi isn't a step up, but vw is a damn nice car for the money, and strikingly close to audi in some respects.

The r32 is no slouch, and would give the new s4 a run for it's money, even with it's v8. Up the boost a bit and say bye bye ti the new s4.

Audi's are designed by Audi, made in Audi factories, and serviced by Audi. VW is a completely seperate division of the same corporation. VW has done some very good things in the past, and if your friends have good ones, they almost certainly came from before the last 24 months or they got very lucky. I was personally told to avoid any VW cars, period, made this year, by people in the industry. Peo[le that are fair minded and have nothing against the ecompany. What else can I tell you?
I didnt choose to make my statements without reason.

JC

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #43 of 83
they do share the same blood.

Though designed by audi, don't think the passat for instance didnt borrow from the a6, or the bug borrow from the TT.

I can't say from your experiences, but my friend got a GTI last year and has zeeo problems.

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #45 of 83
you can't buy a skyline gtr new at all. The model he showed is discontinued. You need to go with an importer or buy used over in europe. The current model skyline in japan is actually what we call the g35 here in the states:
here is the next skyline gtr, which here in america arrives in 2007, and will be badged infiniti,not skyline:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...ept/home.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back