Lease Over In 10 Months, Best Choice In AWD Performance Car?
Oct 18, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 83
Oh, one more car that fits your list. The Jaguar X-Type.

Leetle small on the inside (I actually have first hand experience with this one), and there's no denying that lots of cows and trees died in decorating the interior.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #17 of 83
G35. I haven't driven or seen the new AWD version, but I purchased one last year. At the time, with the RWD sedan, the sports package was only $500 more. The car mag reviews and my personal opinion was that the sports package did not add that much. In fact, the main differences were: Summer rated Z tires versus All season; different wheels (5 spokes versus 6 spokes); and some cosmetic inside trim.

Now a lot might have changed since then, but last year, the difference with the sports package was not enough to really make that much of a difference. Have you test driven the AWD G35? It might be a good compromise with the harsh roads around Detroit.

Off topic, but I'm convinced the rough roads around Detroits are the reason why most American cars drive like boats!

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 83
An Acura RL might fit the bill, but it's probably too expensive.

Edit: Mazdaspeed6 should be in the same class as the Subaru LegacyGT. I seriously doubt it's going to have enough power to compete with STi/Evo. It'll be an interesting car, but Mazda ain't known for luxury. Also, an AWD RX8 would probably be in the 10-15mpg range. I hear the RX8 is a fun car that revs to the sky, but that it lacks torque pretty badly. What do you expect from a 1.3 liter engine? The RX8 may have a turbo in its future which would certainly do good things for the power numbers, but bad bad things for mpg. As in, might as well buy a Hummer instead.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu

Off topic, but I'm convinced the rough roads around Detroits are the reason why most American cars drive like boats!

Amazingly enough, in a fairly recent news report, we were only fifth amongst states with the worst overall road surfaces in the nation. Are there four other states whose roads are carpet bombed on a regular basis? Thats the only way we're being kept out of first place!

JC

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #23 of 83
Quote:

G35. I haven't driven or seen the new AWD version, but I purchased one last year. At the time, with the RWD sedan, the sports package was only $500 more. The car mag reviews and my personal opinion was that the sports package did not add that much. In fact, the main differences were: Summer rated Z tires versus All season; different wheels (5 spokes versus 6 spokes); and some cosmetic inside trim.
Now a lot might have changed since then, but last year, the difference with the sports package was not enough to really make that much of a difference. Have you test driven the AWD G35? It might be a good compromise with the harsh roads around Detroit.

Shafu,

You had me thinking, for a minute there, that the answer might be at hand. The G35 in full AWD trim, with the "necessary" aero package, etc, is a very workable vehicle for me. If it were only wheels and tires, maybe I could work my way around that and drop the cash for some (although doing that on a LEASE car is just painful to contemplate). However, sadly, I just checked the website and found this:

Sport-Tuned Suspension Package

Sport-tuned shock absorbers and springs
17-inch 5-spoke aluminum-alloy sport wheels
215/55R17 W-rated high-performance Michelin tires
Additional titanium-tinted interior trim detail

*Aero Package (Requires Sport-tuned Suspension Package)

Okay, new wheels and tires would run me 2-3k minimum. And no sane person would also consider replacing the shocks and springs too, on a lease vehicle, no less. Not to mention that this car only looks good with the aero package. Until I saw one with that, I didnt even consider them an option. What a shame, I thought we had a breakthrough here.
frown.gif

Thanks anyway Shafu, you gave it a good try.

JC

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #24 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Amazingly enough, in a fairly recent news report, we were only fifth amongst states with the worst overall road surfaces in the nation. Are there four other states whose roads are carpet bombed on a regular basis? Thats the only way we're being kept out of first place!

JC

I've been to Michigan once, and in my estimation the roads in Baghdad are probably just a bit better. I dunno how people get around in anything sort of a tank.....

I think everyone saying G35 is spot on. Refined and powerful. The lack of a sport option isnt a big deal either. In the snow, skinny Z-rated tires and stiffer suspension could very well negate the benefits of AWD.

Maybe a car upgrade isn't the answer. First I would upgrade your state to something in the west coast model line...a California maybe?

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #25 of 83
Shoot. Didn't know you couldn't get the aero package without the sports package. But, in the 2003 reviews, some of the reviewers preferred the non sports package. Keep in mind, the sports package is only $425. There might not be that much in terms of performance difference. Maybe you should try the RWD G35 with and without the sports package and see if there's a difference there.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall

JC

Maybe the state itself isn't that bad, but the greater Detroit area...

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 83
Nightfall,

Try the Saab 9-2x, the Volvo V50 T5, or the Volvo S40 T5. One of the car mags did a comparo of the 9-2x and the V50 T5 and the Volvo won out on styling, safety, and refinement. The Saab had the edge in performance. They both aren't the all-out performance cars of the STi and the Evo but may fit your needs.

Someone mentioned the R32. Handles just as well, but may be down on HP to Sti or the Evo.

How are the lease rates (if any) on a used current gen S4? (that is, if you can find one).

Regards - reynman

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #28 of 83
I currently drive a Nissan 350Z and a Jeep Wrangler and I love them both. It took two vehicles to replace my 1998 Audi A4 which I bought new and drove for five years. After your extensive experience with Audi, I don't think that you will be happy with any of the alternatives that you have listed. Have you thought about an A4? I have heard good things about the BMW equivalent. Believe me, you are going to find that Audi's quattro AWD system is hard to beat. They have been doing it for a long time...

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I currently drive a Nissan 350Z and a Jeep Wrangler and I love them both. It took two vehicles to replace my 1998 Audi A4 which I bought new and drove for five years. After your extensive experience with Audi, I don't think that you will be happy with any of the alternatives that you have listed. Have you thought about an A4? I have heard good things about the BMW equivalent.

I think Nightfall mentioned that since he is coming from an Audi TT, an A4 would be a step backwards. He also didn't like the 330xi. Seems like Nightfall is a driver who knows what he wants - he just hasn't seen the right combo (for the right price) just yet.

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

I think Nightfall mentioned that since he is coming from an Audi TT, an A4 would be a step backwards. He also didn't like the 330xi. Seems like Nightfall is a driver who knows what he wants - he just hasn't seen the right combo (for the right price) just yet.

Didn't read the whole thread, only the original post. Just trying to be helpful. The A4 isn't a step backwards from a TT. The A4 is a sedan and the TT is a sports car. Maybe an A6 would be the answer if the A4 is perceived as a step "backwards."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back