Lear BD4.2 impressions thread + Australian tour
Aug 1, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #62 of 127
Currently finishing my review guys... Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I get to release it this Sunday.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #63 of 127
The LCM-5 demo I heard was very good. Reference sound that was very enveloping. Sound quality should be around and warmer than the UERM, but the clarity was slightly lacking. For its asking price in Hong Kong it is very very good. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #65 of 127

We reviewed the tweaked second revision of the unit..

@H20Fidelity @svyr please confirm?

Oh.. Well, that's definitely not good news
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #66 of 127
I guess now that the cat's out of the bag, I was able to hear a demo unit of this thing through a friend and... well... I couldn't stand it. It was very shrill, confined and tinny sounding. I couldn't believe that this thing is in the kilobuck range. I'd honestly take an Apple EarPod over this thing any day. Lear needs to head back to the drawing board with this one cause this is the epitome of a buncha seemingly amazing tech not cohering into anything worthwhile. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #68 of 127
No, no I did not haha. It's bizarre since I believe Lear is reputed for the quality of some of their customs. This one just isn't ready for primetime and I honestly have no idea who they're targeting with it. Oil sheikhs with too much money on their hands maybe. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #69 of 127
  No, no I did not haha. It's bizarre since I believe Lear is reputed for the quality of some of their customs. This one just isn't ready for primetime and I honestly have no idea who they're targeting with it. Oil sheikhs with too much money on their hands maybe. 

It appears to be a spec monster - something that checks off all the boxes and then some. Often it is impossible to listen to a custom/uni custom before buying and part of the research that goes into such a purchase is comparing specs - this goes to show that impressions from folks who have actually heard IEM/CIEMs are crucial in the research/purchase process....

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #70 of 127
Yes, I've read about them, seemed like they've been received pretty well in the past. Maybe they can iron out some of the problems. I like the design, plus more drivers!! I know more is not always better... But still.

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #71 of 127
I'm pleased to see a more realistic, grounded take on a C/IEM.  Over the past few years I've encountered so much over the top hype I've often felt the people involved must work for the company producing the product.  Obviously this isn't true; some of the time being on the hype train can be fun, but it's also numbing and after a certain number of earphones you develop a more balanced perspective (most of us).

Sanity is doubly necessary when an earphone exceeds $1000.  It hurts to spend a lot a get stuck with a lemon (i.e. my experience with UM's 3DD).

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #72 of 127
I believe on Rin's blog this IEM is unbeatable on technical specs? 

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #73 of 127
I believe on Rin's blog this IEM is unbeatable on technical specs? 
not sure how Rin didn't hate them. Aside from them sounding UNexciting and the 5.5k ringing and excess, I don't really love the bass either (not enough impact on lower port settings and too much bleed on high)

We reviewed the tweaked second revision of the unit..

@H20Fidelity
 @svyr
 please confirm?

That's correct the first version I sent around in may. This is the revised one. I've been procrastinating on a review forever, but just can't think of much positive to say

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #74 of 127
Maybe LEAR need to make a big second revision and completely change some big things in the design and cross overs etc. Otherwise this look like a dead born project and unfortunately it will kill LEAR's reputation too.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #75 of 127
Well don't Rin just measures his test subjects and refuse to base his reviews on how they actually sound...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back