LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #361 of 431
any ideas how to get them from SE asia
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #362 of 431
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #363 of 431
I read that this shop also has stock too.
Shure Headphones

The prices are so attractive for a try.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #364 of 431
A request to those who had the opportunity to audition the SRH840s. How do they compare to the AKG K242 HD or the AKG K240 MK II. I have set my sights on one of these 3 for my next purchase.

My most played music genre are downtempo/lounge, Jazz and rock. Please share your comments! Cheers!

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #365 of 431
I'm still waiting to see if anyone has both the 840's and the ath m50's. You can get the m50 for under $99 on ebay. I'm wondering if the 840 is really worth all the extra $$. When the m50 first came out they were close in price to what the 840's are going for now. I'm really curious as to how they compare.

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #366 of 431
All I can remember about the 840 is that on first listen I didn't notice that "closed headphone" sound that is so common with inexpensive closed phones. It seemed fairly neutral in the sense that it didn't have any glaring faults like piercing highs, or etched mids, or "cupped hands" sound or weak bass. They were pleasant sounding, but I didn't have enough time to mentally compare to other phones that I've heard before. I figured I'd get another chance later, but ran out of time at CanJam.

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #367 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can remember about the 840 is that on first listen I didn't notice that "closed headphone" sound that is so common with inexpensive closed phones. It seemed fairly neutral in the sense that it didn't have any glaring faults like piercing highs, or etched mids, or "cupped hands" sound or weak bass. They were pleasant sounding, but I didn't have enough time to mentally compare to other phones that I've heard before. I figured I'd get another chance later, but ran out of time at CanJam.

Based on my experience with them so far, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description! Mine only have about 20 hours so far, but they seem to punch far above their weight class. But again, it's early.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #368 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my experience with them so far, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description! Mine only have about 20 hours so far, but they seem to punch far above their weight class. But again, it's early.

Cool - so should I post that one paragraph as my full review then? I neglected to take photos.
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #369 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool - so should I post that one paragraph as my full review then? I neglected to take photos.
tongue.gif

Yep, you're work is done here
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #370 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they released yet? (US only I guess?)
Where can you purchase a pair? Link(s) would be awesome

They are available here in Korea FWIW. I can walk down the street and buy a pair. You have no idea how tempted i am. I heard them yesterday in the store and initial impressions were very good. Not an ideal listening situation so i wont attempt a review, but they seemed to have good detail and did not sound congested to me. They look just like the sonys haha.. at least the cans do.

This store also had Ultrasones and would order me 780s for pretty much the same price as the Shure... (840s are like $12 more)....

As you might see from my other threads i am can-less and traveling and prolly needing closed cans, so these are a serious contender. The are bit more spendy here than US, but still really tempting.

-kp8--

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #371 of 431
Has anyone tried the srh240? I'm thinking of getting them if they are similar in signature to the ATH-m50.

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #373 of 431
The 840's are very, very good, so while I know not everyone can afford them, it's worth saving up for them.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #374 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i remember the 240s being in a completely different league from the 440s and 840s. I didn't like them at all to be honest.

So then how would you compare the 440s with the m50s?

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #375 of 431
SKYLAB:
I know this is Apples and Oranges, but I have to ask. How does the Shure SRH840 compare to the Grado SR325i? I know they are 2 completely different sounding phones, but I am seriously considering the SRH840. I purchased the Grado SR325is several months back, and I honestly enjoyed them in the beginning; however, they are a little too genre specific, and I have begun to hear some scratchiness that I have grown a little sick of. I enjoyed the highs in the beginning of the Grados, but I think I've become sick of it because now it sounds scratchy. I'm not sure if this is one of the phases that the phone or my ears go through. Granted, they have about 300 hours of burn-in, give or take.

I also own a pair of Shure SE530's, which I mainly use for jogging. I enjoy their sound, but I don't find the highs as clear as I'd like. Maybe that's because of the exposure to the Grados. And they have that seal in my ear that I don't like.

I know the SRH840's are sealed, but from what I'm reading, you don't notice it as much?

I am currently using the C&C XO portable headphone Amp, and an iPhone 3GS as my source with Apple lossless music. Genres: Rock/Alternative/Classic Rock.

I understand you still haven't had enough burn-in with the Shures, but I would still like your opinion. I will not be able to sample the Shures, unless they offer them at my local Apple store. Lord knows if they'll even carry them. I had to suck it up and order the Grados- to see how I truly felt about them. I actually do enjoy the Grados with some music, but I can't afford to "spice up my rig" at this point in time. I'm trying to get the best sound/value with the least bit of compromise as possible. I appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back