LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
May 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #197 of 431
Waiting for that release date.

May 18, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #198 of 431
WOW they look terrific! Just hope it falls under my tight budget now.

May 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #199 of 431
Hello All,

Thanks for your comments on the design benchmarks. It's helpful to know which headphones the Shure models will be compared against from a design standpoint. Please feel free to keep the comments coming.

sxr71- Sorry but it's up to our US Sales department to determine if/when we'll do pre orders. Authorized dealers have been given the oppertunity to provide basic info (pricing, features, etc) on their websites and if they choose to, can accept pre-orders. I'm not sure how we'd actually do a Head-Fi pre-order since Jude is not a dealer and dosen't sell headphones (at least as far as I know). You probobly know Shure does not sell direct so you'd have to find an authorized dealer willing to accept a pre-order. But thanks for asking!

hrjacob- Our detachable cable is not compatible with the Ultrasone cables. They use a locking 1/8" (3.5mm) adapter on both ends of the cable. Shure uses a locking 1/8" on the side that goes into your source and a 2.5mm jack with a locking "bayonet" style mechanism on the end that plugs into the headphone's earcup assembly. I think Jude has some pictures on the locking mechanism at the beginning of this thread.

FYI the threads on the M-Audio Q40 look the same as the Ultrasones.

RunOfTheDill- The 440 and 840 are both collapsible. The 240 is not.

Only 12 more days till Can Jam!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #202 of 431
£199.00 in uk vs $199.00 in us. Uk customers getting ripped off as usual.

May 22, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #204 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Styling...

I have heard alot of comments about the styling on the headphones, some good, some bad but all very valid and useful.

How here's a question...

At each Shure model price point, what model would you consider the design benchmark ie. the best designed headphone at the given price?

Benchmark against:

-SRH240 ($59)
-SRH440 ($99)
-SRH840 ($199)

Please pick one model each in these general price points to benchmark against the Shure model. I am curious to know what everyone thinks is a good design vs. a bad design and why...

Thanks!

Design quality is almost wholly independent of price point. There's both good and bad looking headphones of practically every price, so I'm not sure that's the best way to judge the competition.

Instead, Shure needs to come up with its own distinctive and elegant look. At the moment, the 240 looks like a Dr. Dre Beats ripoff, and the 440 and 840 look like a bigger Sony V6 reboot with Beyer cues in the supports. There's no cohesiveness or distinctiveness to the lineup.

If you're looking for good examples, look to AKG. Almost all (with the exception of the DJs) of their headphones have that distinctive AKG look, with the color scheme and silver accents, but each model still looks elegant in its own manner. The whole line is free of the curse of generic black plastic--not that black or plastic can't look good if done right.

Denon has also developed a distinctive but elegant look; a quick glance through their lineup is self-explanatory.

Aside from these solid examples, there are a lot of ugly headphones. Ultrasones sound fantastic, but have a certain ugliness about them, despite the quality materials. Grados are similarly great headphones, but the lower end has a distinctively cheap feel to them (particularly the SR60s), and the whole line has a very handmade-in-Brooklyn feel to it. It's not necessarily bad, but maybe an acquired taste.

From the aesthetic foundation Shure already has, I think they should really end up tending more in the Denon direction than Grado. It honestly shouldn't be that hard to replace the current boring plastic with some of the nicer plastics and metals from the earbud line. This may push up prices a bit, but frankly I--and surely plenty of ordinary consumers--would be much more likely to buy them if they looked better, even if they cost an extra $25 or so.

Also, you need to integrate that wire over the headband. That's just bad design as is, which is sure to generate lots of warranty claims from people who chucked them in a backpack, etc. and had it severed by any number of too-sharp objects. I do prefer single-entry over double, but not at a cost like that.

Apologies for not precisely answering your question; I'm just tired of all the best headphones being terribly ugly.

May 22, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #206 of 431
Alistaire idk if you notice but its only the cheapest version that has the godforsaken Y split, the other two have the godsent detachable cable (kudos on that one fellows).
I agree that the design team could have done better but then again I'm used to looking like a fool being the tall guy that walks around campus wearing huge headphones.
If what the op says about sq is true these phones will soon be very very popular.

May 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #207 of 431
lol I just got the SE530's and now I see this?? I have to get a pair for only $200, they are closed which I love because I ride the subway everyday and hate old ladies telling me to turn the racket down with open headphones lol. Even my GF now wants these, after trying Senn cans now she's a fan of cans vs' in ear plus she's already a Shure fan.

May 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #208 of 431
I agree with alistaire about the design.
AKG and Denon are good examples of elegant looking headphones, at various pricepoints.

Some examples are the Denon D1000, D2000 ecc...
AH-D1000.jpg

or the woody D5000

denon-ah-d5000.jpg

I'd also take in consideration Audio-Tecnica design:
these

2222857770_f1dbc8ecaf.jpg

Audio-technica_ATH_A700.jpg

This is about the materials.
The leather pads ihmo are better like the D5000, smooth and not curled, it seems a cleaner and modern design.

The wire over the headband could become a weakness point.

May 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #209 of 431
"Design" is really a personal preference, I'm not a fan of Denon/Foster headphones, and I actually prefer the look and design of Shure headphones.

BTW, these Shure headphones are mainly targeted at studio (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe other AKG, various headphones from Sony should be their direct competitors, regardless of Head-Fi or audiophile community, Sony are wildly used at studios I suppose.

May 23, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #210 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude,
Are these more like ultrasone 780s than d2000s in sound signature? or are they between the 2. Also wondering if you prefer these to the denon d2000/d5000 cans. thanks

anyone able to answer this? I'm looking to do a blind purchase of the top shure and any comments would be appreciated.

Actually, If its not against the rules... maybe someone from shure can answer this question. Basically what does your product bring that the denons and ultrasones lack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back