LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
May 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #212 of 431
Any serious answers? are these just another closed can on the block without anything special about them? I am looking to buy some when they come out based on Judes impressions but would like some more impressions compared to the closed cans I mentioned so that I know what to expect in their sound sig

May 23, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #213 of 431
they are not even out yet so i guess we all have to wait. besides we would have to take any input from shure with a grain of salt since they are the manufacturer. waiting for about a month or two after release and reading several review just to be sure seems to b the only logical option. pardon the pun.

unless you want to be the guinea pig and take the bait for us.

May 23, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #214 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any serious answers? are these just another closed can on the block without anything special about them? I am looking to buy some when they come out based on Judes impressions but would like some more impressions compared to the closed cans I mentioned so that I know what to expect in their sound sig

Shure will be at CamJan, just wait for fews more days and there will be more impressions.

May 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #215 of 431
I'll be patient then and wait til then
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #216 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just about to pull the trigger on Audio Technica ATH-M50. Now, like many other head-fiers, I would wait to hear the feedback on the Shure SRH840.

x2

One obvious advantage over the ATH-M50 is the detachable cable, obviously. Replace it by a very short cable, attach a Sansa Clip to the headband, and the SRH840 may prove more practical for home use than IEMs. I'm mostly interested in it for monitoring purposes, however, so I'll wait for comparative reviews of its SQ and neutrality.

I don't care about the looks, but like other posters here, I'm a little concerned about the cable that runs outside the SRH840. Anything like that is too easy to snag. At least, by me. And other members of the Klutz Club. For similar reasons, I'm not sure I like the bayonet locking either. If I ever walk on the detachable cable (and you can realistically replace "if" by "when"), I'd rather it were yanked out of the headphones than have my head yanked down and maybe the cable or the headphones break.

May 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #217 of 431
I'm not too worried about the little cable on the headband, it is really common for headphone with single entry cable, for example, Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990, Ultrasone Proline 550/650/750/2500 or HiFi2200.

May 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #218 of 431
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Shure SRH840 here...though I must say that while I'm fine, aesthetically, with the overall Audio-Technica-studio-monitor-esque design, I find the red and blue circles on the sides of either earpiece close to hideous -- especially when the original renders have them in a much more integrated and attractive silver color. Considering these cans already have a standard left-side cable entry and prominent "LEFT" and "RIGHT" labels, this extra color marking seems like rather unsightly and unfortunate overkill.

May 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #219 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not too worried about the little cable on the headband, it is really common for headphone with single entry cable

It's also very common for me to snag anything that offers even the tiniest possibility to get snagged. I admit to being a klutz, but I mustn't be the only one, and for that reason, outside cabling may not be the very best solution.

The fact that other headphones do it doesn't mean it should be done. The HD280 Pro and the ATH-M50 also sport a single entry cable, but without external cabling running along the headband.

May 25, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #221 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prepare to be frustrated, jpelg, as I've been putting my feelers out more and more for these kinds of advanced jumps that are relevant to the community here--and SHURE releasing full-sized headphones is definitely relevant here. And there's more coming from others that will make this one of the best years for headphone audio that I can remember.

Interesting! Tell us more
wink.gif

Am I the only one who finds those "there's something very good coming up, but I won't tell you what or when, just that I know and you don't" bits kinda annoying? Like dangling a sugar cube above the nose of a dog to see it jump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether or not it is easily to be broken depends on the type of material used as well, don't be turned off too soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I'm not. It isn't a deal breaker, just a "minus" in my book. The detachable cable is a bigger "plus" in the same book, though I'd have been happier with a less exclusive locking mechanism.

Quote:

"Detachable, single-sided coiled cable: easy cable replacement" - good for me as I suspect that the coiled cable might not be for me.

Yeah, nor for me. Can't stand the buggers. But the cable may not be as easy to replace as we thought. Or rather, it seems it'll be easy to replace only by the same, thanks to a nonstandard locking mechanism. So it'll prolong the life of the headphones, yes, but it won't make it more versatile, not unless we can get an adapter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hrjacob- Our detachable cable is not compatible with the Ultrasone cables. They use a locking 1/8" (3.5mm) adapter on both ends of the cable. Shure uses a locking 1/8" on the side that goes into your source and a 2.5mm jack with a locking "bayonet" style mechanism on the end that plugs into the headphone's earcup assembly. I think Jude has some pictures on the locking mechanism at the beginning of this thread.

Would Shure consider selling (soon) a short "2.5mm jack with a locking bayonet style mechanism -> locking 1/8 (3.5mm)" adapter? That would open up a world of options, cable-wise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With us putting a 2.5mm input on the headphone, it probably won't be a problem for serious modders to find a way to develop some really cool upgrade cable options. However, you'll notice in the pic above from jude that the cable locks into the cable headphone assembly via a "bayonet style" mechanism that modders will have to adapt into their designs. This style wasn't done to intentionally make it harder to modd by any means, but rather employed as it was the most reliable option on the table from a reliability and ease of use stand point.

I never had any problem with the reliability of the standard 3.5mm plugs used by my old pair of Sennheisers, not even after several years. Although I'm very interested in the SRH840, I'll be waiting until an adapter is made available (by Shure, by APureSound, by Null Audio... I guess it'll happen sooner than later anyway).

While the ATH-M50 don't have a detachable cable, at least they have a straight cable option.

May 25, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #222 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who finds those "there's something very good coming up, but I won't tell you what or when, just that I know and you don't" bits kinda annoying? Like dangling a sugar cube above the nose of a dog to see it jump.

Might've been the HF2 he was referring to

May 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #223 of 431
Quote:

Might've been the HF2 he was referring to

And/or the UE4 pro, I guess. Since both the UE4 pro and the SRH840 can be used for monitoring purposes, I'm curious to see them compared. I did some voice acting before leaving New York, and I've got plans to get back into the fray next year -- as a freelancer, this time.

One year is a long stretch of time, of course, but I can imagine myself buying headphones or yet another pair of earphones before then, since of course they can also be used for personal enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back