LCD3 Measurements
Mar 10, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #212 of 236

Got my replacement pair in. I think someone asked about th
e supplied graph. Audeze did a quick driver swap on mine. The roll-off begins at 1.4kHz. With some of the other graphs, I've seen it start at 800Hz. This one has more treble too. It's more than FR. Something sounds really different about these. They seem to breath and flow better.

Comparing this with the FR chart of my returned LCD3 (for driver cut out problem), it looks like the new batch drivers have a similar and quite consistent F response. Good news for LCD3s.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #213 of 236
Does your new LCD3 still have cover foam rather than a piece of smi-transparent cloth?

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #214 of 236
Thanks for posting your new LCD-3 chart Purrin. It does seem that Audeze has had new drivers which have a higher frequency response and cutting off at the 2khz range rather than the usual 1khz. Glad to hear that they sound exceeding good, as they should. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #215 of 236
With the variation of the base lines, it seems the new drivers has a turning point at around 1.5KHz.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #216 of 236
Thanks for posting your new LCD-3 chart Purrin. It does seem that Audeze has had new drivers which have a higher frequency response and cutting off at the 2khz range rather than the usual 1khz. Glad to hear that they sound exceeding good, as they should. 

If you look a bit closer you'll notice that the new graph is completely shifted up about 3dB. The older graphs were set 3dB lower. So after you shift the new graph down by this margin, it will look very similar to the older curves. I would say the improvement is from more consistent drivers across different headphones.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #217 of 236
Quote:

As far as tonal balance (I haven't measured them yet) they don't sound too different from my veiled pair other than they have a slight midrange shout very similar in nature to that of the HP1000's. It's that not bad at all and I doubt most people will be able to hear it. I'm betting these measure overall more similarly to the LCD3r1 than a r2 on a FR graph. Getting back to this midrange shout - it's not too different from the 2nd pair that I measured earlier:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/580283/lcd3-measurements/150#post_8149681 and  http://www.head-fi.org/t/580283/lcd3-measurements/150#post_8149711. I hope the ringing doesn't measure too badly. I could hear it on Adele's 21, but not Tracy Chapman's first CD. Even if I can't hear it, I just like to know it measures well. Haha!

I'm guessing this is a typo, and you meant LCD2 ?
If not I missed the whole r1 r2 consensus with the LCD3
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #219 of 236
For comparison purposes, my included chart. Late February batch, received early March after many weeks of delays, so I assume it must be a new, post-issues one (knocking on wood and doing a prolonged "burn-in" more for reliability testing than audible changes)

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #220 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Comparing this with the FR chart of my returned LCD3 (for driver cut out problem), it looks like the new batch drivers have a similar and quite consistent F response. Good news for LCD3s.

Comparing these last two graphs side by side, I'm not so sure about that. FWIW:

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #224 of 236
From looking at the graphs though it makes sense to me: the new version has this additional resonance at 1-1.5kHz which bumps the midrange response significantly. Can't that help with the veil? It may be due to the smoothing of curve but it also looks well damped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back