LCD3 Measurements
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #181 of 236
The main frequency graph doesn't show nearly as much variance, but I'm not well versed with these things and don't know how the other comparison affect things in the grand scheme. Is there a version of the PDF linked for the LCD-3 and LCD-2? One that also shows the other graphs.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1SN3964.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf

Looks actually more so as the square wave responses vary quite a bit too.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #183 of 236
Damn, poor show. These headphone manufacturers need to get their act together and sort these things stat. Honestly my view is that until they do, they shouldn't dare charge these sorts of premiums. I say this as someone who loves all the aforementioned cans.

Such indiscrepences, especially at these prices, is actually quite embarassing.

Purrin created a thread just about the T1's.  They vary way more than the LCD-3's and there are some terribly matched and terrible sounding units out there. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #186 of 236
With these tests, how do you ensure going about placing the headphones in the same place? I know that with both the T1 (especially) and the LCD-2's, moving them around in terms of ear/head positioning can change the sound quite drastically. With the T1's for example, wearing them more forward gives a deeper, more distant sound, with a slightly smaller soundstage, whilst wearing them quite far back makes them much more bright and in your face. With the LCD-2's, the further back I wore them, the more sounds would seem to appear to come from the rear as oppose to from the sides.

Quote:
I need to update the T1 driver mismatch thread. I've since gotten another T1 that I measured.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #187 of 236

Quote:
With these tests, how do you ensure going about placing the headphones in the same place? I know that with both the T1 (especially) and the LCD-2's, moving them around in terms of ear/head positioning can change the sound quite drastically. With the T1's for example, wearing them more forward gives a deeper, more distant sound, with a slightly smaller soundstage, whilst wearing them quite far back makes them much more bright and in your face. With the LCD-2's, the further back I wore them, the more sounds would seem to appear to come from the rear as oppose to from the sides.

I'll position them in a way where I get the most favorable measurements - most linear. Then I mark them (I have alignment marks on the rig) and take a photo (for future reference.)

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #188 of 236
Awesome dude. Sounds good. Eager to see the results! Though I get the feeling I won't be too impressed by them lol. Lately these tests have left me bemused. QC on such expensive items should be near faultless, irrespective of the size of the company.

I'll position them in a way where I get the most favorable measurements - most linear. Then I mark them (I have alignment marks on the rig) and take a photo (for future reference.)

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #189 of 236

LCD3 Pad Effects Measurements

Green = Fluffed
Purple = Squished

Need to run them again - maybe tomorrow - just to make sure. It's close.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #190 of 236
Is that backwards or am I too tired?

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #191 of 236

Quote:
Is that backwards or am I too tired?

I could be too tired myself, but I'm sure it's not backwards. Green = fluffed (held up) pads. Purple = squished pads.

I figure the measurements aren't too difference because of the angled pads and the fact that the front of the pads basically don't have anything there = henceforth the overall distance from the driver to the microphone doesn't change much, especially for such a large driver and cup size.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #192 of 236
I dont think it is backwards. It seemed like when I squished the pads while wearing it I had a increase in treble and less bass. I just thought I was hearing things....but according to your measurements maybe I am not.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #193 of 236
That's strange.  Goes against the pattern/trend that i've observed, but that seems to happen alot with orthos.  Maybe it's because of the severe angle like you said. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #194 of 236
Another hypothesis: the more ortho drivers see air resistance (in the form of damping materials), the lessor their bass and greater their their treble. Maybe squishing down the pads creates a tighter pocket which is is the equivalent of adding a single-ply layer of TP?

This measurement (along with KingStyles subjective impressions of squishing the pads down), although far from conclusive, would seem to point in the direction that perhaps the pads are not the cause of the veil.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #195 of 236
Quote:
This measurement (along with KingStyles subjective impressions of squishing the pads down), although far from conclusive, would seem to point in the direction that perhaps the pads are not the cause of the veil.

Yeah, that's the kind of backwards I meant.  Backwards from the "squishy pads cause the 'veil' " hypothesis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back