LCD3 Measurements
Nov 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #17 of 236
It seems like an overhead vs the 009 might be fun
popcorn.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 236

Thanks Purrin, great stuff as usual!

Thanks, it will be interesting to see your results since I don't use a dummy head (but instead try to isolate driver behavior.) I'm wondering if the 17k peak and impulse response will be more controlled with a seal.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 236
Revealing measurements, but also illustrative to what amounts to quite a sample variation with the LCD2's and the implications for version 3? I hope you get to test another 3.

Perhaps some of us are what you might call "Beta testers" to a point when it comes to this headphone line, but I'd hate to think there are actually people with "bad" LCD2's out there. Skipping the 3, enjoying the LCD2 v1 (March version!) too much, the mere mention of an LCD "next" is enough to enjoy the comments on the v3 for a year or two.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 236

By request:

• Plots now take into account distance from driver to measurement microphone. We should be OK for decay analysis now.
  • Floor moved down to -39db from -30db
  • Comparisons to other headphones using same parameters (HD800 below is Anax modded)

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 236

Overhead plots using same parameters above.

(Decay comparisons should now be legit)

[I will probably redo these to zoom in on the interesting areas]

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #25 of 236
Fascinating stuff, Purrin, thanks.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #27 of 236

I tried to tell some awhile back that if you hard wire the LCD2 you will be amazed what they can do. Save a 1000$ and re wire your LCD2 and then give them about 20 hours burn in. No ringing in fact they are amazing. Before you spend 1000$ extra dollars cant hurt. If the LCD2 and LCD3 are close after the hard wired LCD2 would be ahead. Of course you could hard wire the LCD3 also.
Either way the diffrence is not a small one. This headphone turns into a monster when wired direct. Just something to think about. Of course then all the high priced cables every one has bought will be usless. Thank God.

Quote:
Maybe I can find someone with an r2 around the area that I can trade with for a few days.

Honestly, I don't think the LCD3 are that much faster, tighter, speedier, or more detailed (if at all) compared to the r2s. From what I'm hearing, the primary difference is with the much more linear (smoother) frequency response and lack of ringing, which is very welcome. I am wondering if surgical EQ on a r2 could bring them very close to the r3s. Of course surgical EQ would require measuring equipment. I don't have any r2 measurements, but I can see why Anax preferred the r2 over the r3. The slight jagginess of the r2 treble brings it up a little bit on average and adds some edge compared to the r3.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #29 of 236

Quote:
WOW.  Graph of the Titans.

Here is where I beg someone with HE-500 to lend cans...

+1. Please lend this expert in CSD plots guy a HE-500! 
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #30 of 236
For those who asked how to read these plots, I added a short paragraph trying to explain this in the first paragraph of the first post of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back