LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
Nov 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #77 of 276
Went for the Charmin Ultra Strong...

+1 clarity
+1 energy
-1...nothing so far?

Why on earth didn't they ship it like this?

At the midway point of the song Hanuman by Rodrigo y Gabriela (off the album 11:11) the difference in the fast high riffs was immediately apparent.  Even sound soup like Territorial Pissings (from the Nevermind MFSL disc) had more detail to discern, and the slight bump in raw power really brings you into it (I'm sorry to any downstairs neighbors for any excessive toe tapping).  And O Fortuna...wow.  Burial, Fleet Foxes, some Dog Pound Hop...thank you to both Audeze and purrin.  What a difference.

I know the 160D isn't exactly the pinnacle of sound technology, but one thing I can really appreciate about it now is that high-gain jack.  If there is a rock or heavier song I really just want the most energy out of, that jack really helps coax the LCD-3 into getting the rest of the oomph back I had with the r.2s.  Man, I can't wait to hear what these are capable of with even better equipment.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #78 of 276

Quote:
Went for the Charmin Ultra Strong...

+1 clarity
+1 energy
-1...nothing so far?

Saving it up for LCD3r2?
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #80 of 276
Just did the TP mod on my LCD2rev2 driven by Lyr (with Siemens PCC88). Very happy with it as it tones down the high frequency and increases the mid & low frequency presence. Thanks for the awesome tip!!!

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #81 of 276
Quote:

I remember reading when the LCD-2 first came out that they made the back panel easily removable with screws to allow people to play with the damping themselves, so in a sense they did ship it like this - customisable.

The surprising thing is how long it has taken for threads to appear with people's experimentations detailed.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #82 of 276

Quote:
^If the "Chux wipe" material will hold up for a longer duration before disintegrating, hmmm....

The TP will prove the mod sounds good but if Chux wipes are equivalent in sound modification, they look more durable:

Did the HF2 modders find these wipes durable when they used them over their drivers?

I've used this stuff (J-Cloth in the UK) a lot in modding, although more specifically in front of drivers to tame and soften/warm up treble. It's very durable, I've had some bits for years now and they're still fine.

That said, there is no reason the TP should have any problems - it's sandwiched between two layers of felt behind the driver, maybe in a very humid climate it could be a problem, but I would have thought it would last indefinitely as it is in most cases.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #84 of 276

Quote:
Just did the TP mod on my LCD2rev2 driven by Lyr (with Siemens PCC88). Very happy with it as it tones down the high frequency and increases the mid & low frequency presence. Thanks for the awesome tip!!!

This is the first time I've heard that the high frequencies in the R.2 need to be toned down.   You must have a problem somewhere in your rig.  

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #85 of 276
I was listening to some Pearl Jam with the TP'd LCD-3s and noticed that the sibilance in the poorer recordings came out a bit more than before.  The phones are still far from bright, and obviously the recording is to blame, so I don't mind it...but it is more pronounced than it was before.  Totally worth the trade, IMHO, but it's the closest to a negative criticism I could find.  Still in awe of how good these sound.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #86 of 276
I've read this issue with sibilance and LCD-2 r2 in some other LCD3 threads as well.  However, I gotta say that the LCD-2 r2 controls treble well, even better than the beloved r1.  Not to start a cable war, I found that when I switched from Blue Jeans interconnects to Wireworld Equinox 6 that the treble was even better controlled or more natural.  Seems like a lot of components in one's rig (source, cables, amp, music track) could be responsible for brightness or high treble energy rather than the LCD-2 r2 in itself.  With that said, I've heard headphones that were terrible in the high frequencies so there could be batch to batch variation in even the LCD-2 r2 being produced.       

Quote:
This is the first time I've heard that the high frequencies in the R.2 need to be toned down.   You must have a problem somewhere in your rig.  

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #88 of 276

Quote:
I was listening to some Pearl Jam with the TP'd LCD-3s and noticed that the sibilance in the poorer recordings came out a bit more than before.  The phones are still far from bright, and obviously the recording is to blame, so I don't mind it...but it is more pronounced than it was before.  Totally worth the trade, IMHO, but it's the closest to a negative criticism I could find.  Still in awe of how good these sound.

It's all about what compromises you can live with. I have a bunch of Pearl Jam around CDs, vinyl, original releases, bad remasters, etc and some of their stuff does have some sibilance. It's not nearly as bad as some other material, e.g. RHCP Californication album, early eighties New Romantic synthpop, etc.

I'll a take a little bit of sibiliance in return for getting a little bit away from the subwoofer + AM radio sound. Even after the mods, the ToiletPants is still a pleasant and forgiving sounding headphone.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #89 of 276
LCD3s don't need any tweaking for me except for a Q-audio cable. Now I can stop buying headphones or amps and sell off everything else. What a relief.
(Well, if the stock market doubles --fat chance-- I'll try a Stax 009 rig someday, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #90 of 276
All this talk of various damping materials has got me thinking. Anybody ever thought of $100.00 bills as damping material? Now that we've got "Thunder Pants" and "Toilet Pants", why not "Money Pants"?  $100. bills could also be used to wrap high -end cables and rolled up to serve as tube dampers. Stacks of bills would make ideal isolation feet for electronics. We could even start a vintage currency thread. I'm sure that bills issued before the U.S. went off the gold standard in 1932 have to sound better than the debased crap that passes for modern currency.

Sorry Marv, my twisted sense of humor sometimes gets the best of me. Seriously, keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to hearing both the stock and the modded LCD-3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back