LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 276

purrin

aka Marvey, purr1n
Member of the Trade: Eddie Current
If you already like the way your LCD3s sound, you may want to go elsewhere, otherwise what I am about to post may offend your sensibilities of creaminess.
As I've indicated in other posts, I was hoping Audeze, having solved the resonance issues with the LCD3, would have not shelved down its treble as much. It would appear that many others feel the LCD3 has a bit more low bass than the r2. One fan/proponent of the r1's sound has even commented that the "creaminess" is back with the LCD3.

This is definitely not my personal preference. Basically I wanted more of the r2 sound, and after experimenting, I came up with a mod that's essentially free and fairly non-intrusive. I wasn't looking to radically alter the FR, but move things a few db here and there.

To be continued... (charging my camera batteries)

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 276
STEP 1: Remove metal cage. Place it on top of a single sheet of two-ply Kirkland brand toilet paper. Trace around the metal disc. Cut out a circular sheet from the two-ply toilet paper.

STEP 2: Place sheet of Kirkland two-ply toilet paper over the exposed back of the driver.

STEP 3: Place the original free floating circular piece of felt over the toilet paper. Place back circular metal cage. Ensure that toilet paper is fully extended over the lip of the wood while the metal cage is being secured back on.

Oh my! This sounds good..... that r2 slam, attack, and energy is back! With speed improvements too. Finally sounds closer to $2000.

To be continued... (posting relative FR measurements next)

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 276
I guess the real question is if various brands of toilet paper will have different sonic effects?  Then there will be the one-ply vs. two-ply debate...
wink_face.gif

Looks interesting, I'll have to try it out!  Thanks, Purrin!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oh yeah, embossed or not embossed?

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 276
LEFT CHANNEL

RIGHT CHANNEL

The toilet paper mods are in green. The stock is purple. The modification does few things:

• Bring up the upper-mids and lower treble up about 1-2db.
  • Lower the bass and low-mids region by about 1-3db.

Since I don't have an r2 on-hand, these mods could have overdone it a bit depending upon your individual r2. If that is the case, then I recommend using a single ply sheet of toilet paper for half of the effect. I wouldn't call it a neutral headphone, but it is moving to that direction and I absolutely love the results. I'm actually excited about the LCD3 now. No more muddy crap. Brings out the speed and snap.

Just some more info:

There are two layers of felt. One layer is directly glued to the driver plate. The other is free floating over it. What I did was add the TP under the piece of free floating felt. What a difference a very minor damping change makes. But all you ortho-modders already knew this. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 276

Quote:
I guess the real question is if various brands of toilet paper will have different sonic effects?  Then there will be the one-ply vs. two-ply debate...
wink_face.gif

Looks interesting, I'll have to try it out!  Thanks, Purrin!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oh yeah, embossed or not embossed?

I know some super premium brands use thicker paper. Kirkland is run-of-the-mill fairly middle ground stuff found at Costco, one of the super warehouse stores. I am using TP embossed with a floral pattern.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 276
Quote:

I know some super premium brands are use thicker paper. Kirkland is run-of-the-mill fairly middle ground stuff found at Costco, one of the super warehouse stores. I am using TP embossed with a floral pattern.

Thanks!  I was only half-kidding with my comments.  You've given me a good idea what to try.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 276
I wouldn't call that a significant difference, judging from the FR charts, and I think the difference one hear from this mod is not due to the change of FR. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 276
Faster-than-light neutrinos? But then again, what I would I know? I'm just a weekend hack at this.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 276
I'm loving this thread!

Though I have no dog in this fight, my experience with toilet paper is that it doesn't hold up so well with things like, er, moisture. My concern is that an earcup is a high-humidity environment and sweat might decrease the lifespan of a toiletpaper mod.

Are you thinking about experimenting with some kind of cloth? Cotton might hold up better. Maybe silk or even linen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back