LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
Nov 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 276

Quote:
You guys really should select the materials for your mods with more care, wht go for cheap toilet paper when you can enhance the sound with an intricately woven bio-cellulose matrix with an dedicated alveolar structure, here's my proposal for a high end mod for the LCD-3:

Do you wipe your a** with that?  
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #34 of 276

Quote:
I've been damping with paper lately, if that was sold in the states I would totally buy some... 
cool.gif

I'm sure it's too carcinogenic for Palo Alto.  
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #35 of 276
Quote:
Do you wipe your a** with that?  
biggrin.gif

Way too expensive at $2.5 a roll, but to point is that it's available in multiple colors to match your aesthetic desires. And kudos for Purrin for raising the idea of a cheap and easy mod.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #36 of 276

CSDs of LCD3 Kirkland TP Edition

Took me a while to get to these. Been enjoying my neutral / slightly dark sounding LCD3s. As well as being musical, they are very "technically" capable. It's been hard to take them off to even run these measurements.

BEFORE

AFTER

No major differences (in wierd spikey stuff, but FR is more level.)

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #37 of 276
Nov 21, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #38 of 276
The idea of damping the LCD-2 or LCD_3 more (with toilet paper or otherwise) is going backwards in my book.

Fully open orthos that don't sound closed in, especially when you have a driver like that is in the LCD_3 which provides detail retrieval (this is not such a big problem with the LCD-2) that was only to be found in stats is what i am hoping to see in the future.

But, till then,  have fun with your damping schemes..it can get obsessive. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #39 of 276

Certainly looks as audible as the HD800 mod.  Certainly more balanced.

I meant in ridges or spikes, but yes, much more neutral. Audeze should have sold two different versions of this headphone: "The Cream" and "The Clear"

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #40 of 276

Quote:
The idea of damping the LCD-2 or LCD_3 more (with toilet paper or otherwise) is going backwards in my book.

Fully open orthos that don't sound closed in, especially when you have a driver like that is in the LCD_3 which provides detail retrieval (this is not such a big problem with the LCD-2) that was only to be found in stats is what i am hoping to see in the future.

But, till then,  have fun with your damping schemes..it can get obsessive. 

The LCD3 isn't fully open - there are already two pieces of foam. A thick fuzzy piece glued to the plate and a thin free floating piece over it right under the grill. All I did was add a layer of TP.

My disagreement with the LCD3 was not that they didn't sound open, but that they deviated from neutrality too much. In terms of neutral, I would say my references would be the UERM and to a lesser extent the HP1000, ESP950, and SR009. This mod actually increases detail because it brings up the harmonics (half to the midrange and treble) that were previously too pushed down. Yet at the same time, it retains a little bit of the shelf so I can still enjoy badly mastered popular music that is too bright.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #41 of 276
Purrin your mod brought a big smile to my face after what has been a terribly horrific weekend for me.    

I always wondered what an addition or change in material inside the grills might do.  Just cupping ones hands and brining them within a few inches of the R.2 can change the frequency balance.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #42 of 276

Quote:
Purrin your mod brought a big smile to my face after what has been a terribly horrific weekend for me.    

I always wondered what an addition or change in material inside the grills might do.  Just cupping ones hands and brining them within a few inches of the R.2 can change the frequency balance.

Heh, I was previously thinking about a trade for your r2s + cash until I got this crazy TP idea. In hindsight I should have been smarter and used an exotic material so I could sell this mod.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #43 of 276

Quote:
The LCD3 isn't fully open - there are already two pieces of foam. A thick fuzzy piece glued to the plate and a thin free floating piece over it right under the grill. All I did was add a layer of TP.

lol.. which is why i said damping it "more" is going backwards.

And as for neutrality, its a moot point considering you are running it out of the Balancing Act. Hardly a neutral amp by any means. 
Perhaps our definition of neutral might differ too which is very much in the realm of possibility. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #44 of 276

Quote:

Heh, I was previously thinking about a trade for your r2s + cash until I got this crazy TP idea. In hindsight I should have been smarter and used an exotic material so I could sell this mod.

Have you seen CaveDaves mod?  Material from the audeze box and directly wired into the driver terminals!

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #45 of 276

Users who are viewing this thread

Back