LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
Nov 20, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #16 of 276
Eventually I'll consider better materials. I do want everyone to know that this is no joke. I am absolutely loving everything about these headphones now.

The reason I used toilet paper was because it was the only thing I had available. When I got the idea to add a little bit of extra damping, I went scurrying about the house trying to find a suitable material. I couldn't find anything thinner than toilet paper. I may have some strips of silk lying around.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #17 of 276
That sounds like a great experiment, actually!  Silk vs. lightweight cotton vs. TP...can't wait to see the results.

"tp rolling" 
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 276

Quote:
If you already like the way your LCD3s sound, you may want to go elsewhere, otherwise what I am about to post may offend your sensibilities of creaminess.
As I've indicated in other posts, I was hoping Audeze, having solved the resonance issues with the LCD3, would have not shelved down its treble as much. It would appear that many others feel the LCD3 has a bit more low bass than the r2. One fan/proponent of the r1's sound has even commented that the "creaminess" is back with the LCD3.

This is definitely not my personal preference. Basically I wanted more of the r2 sound, and after experimenting, I came up with a mod that's essentially free and fairly non-intrusive. I wasn't looking to radically alter the FR, but move things a few db here and there.

To be continued... (charging my camera batteries)

Instead of modding it, you could have my R2, which has the sound sig you want, and I can have your creamy LCD3.  This is a mutually beneficial arrangement, I am sure!

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #21 of 276
I want to see a graph with changes like this. I'd love to do a purple satin on my Rev 2s to match my new purple/black Q cable.

Purple satin...black grills...Mmmmm...

Quote:
Besides hard wiring my LCD2 I also replaced the screen with red satin and yes it does make a diffrence for the better.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #22 of 276
after reading this i tried the mod as well. Decided to just go with 3 layers of cloth straight. it started sounding quite dry so i took one layer out. Maybe its just in my head. But the resonance is much much lesser. The bass seem to thin out thou.. because of this 2 factors the highs stand out abit more...   :D haha well at least im happy

just a theory but could this be because the cloth restricts the air flow , which in this case the bass requires the most. Therefore thinning the lower frequencies while not really affecting the higher ones which require less movement of air?

then again it sounds like common sense hahaha

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 276

Quote:
I wouldn't call that a significant difference, judging from the FR charts, and I think the difference one hear from this mod is not due to the change of FR. 

Sure, 2-3dB is completely inaudible.  
rolleyes.gif
  Do try to consider what a 3dB increase/decrease actually represents.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #24 of 276

Quote:
Sure, 2-3dB is completely inaudible.  
rolleyes.gif
  Do try to consider what a 3dB increase/decrease actually represents.

The mods have the approximate equivalent of the following settings on a parametric EQ:

• 2.5db cut at 100Hz at a Q factor of 0.25 (which is extremely wide)
  • 1.5db boost at 6kHz with a Q factor of 1.5 (still wide)

The overall difference between the large swathes of bass and upper-mids/lower-treble is 4db (1.5+2.5). In other words, it reverses the Audeze voiced shelf by 4db. But as I said, what do I know about any of this? Maybe a platinum and gold plated fine chain-mail silver mesh, threaded through with the finest brocade silk, dipped in the Yellow Emperor's preserved urine would have been more effective.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #25 of 276

Quote:
The mods have the approximate equivalent of the following settings on a parametric EQ:

• 2.5db cut at 100Hz at a Q factor of 0.25 (which is extremely wide)
  • 1.5db boost at 6kHz with a Q factor of 1.5 (still wide)

The overall difference between the large swathes of bass and upper-mids/lower-treble is 4db (1.5 +2.5). In other words, it reverses the Audeze shelf by 4db. But as I said, what do I know about any of this? Maybe a platinum and gold plated fine chain-mail mesh made from silver, threaded through with the finest brocade silk, dipped in the Yellow Emperor's preserved urine would have been more effective.

So is the muffle gone?

You forgot the Shark fin and Bird's nest.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 276
It's kind of funny to see someone who owns a 2000 dollar ortho claiming that damping doesn't affect FR.  It really goes to show how much things have changed in orthodome in the past few years.  It's pretty cool really!  although the prices aren't that nice.  But that will change soon. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 276
damping orthos is the beauty of this technology. more damping generally equates to tighter bass, narrower soundfield and more noticeable sparkle. I don't feel the need to damp the lcd3 at all, but then I do like that bass texture. a speaker analogy would be akin to going from the B&W 800 matrix series with that deep subsonic bass to a dynaudio monitor ( with naim amp ) which has tight in your face bass , each enjoyable in it's own right but ultimately personal preference. 

for kicks purrin, try cutting a hole in the middle of your paper disk, you might even get creative and cut pointy bits from the hole - this is the basis of damping some parts of the driver while leaving other parts alone ie "differentially" damping the driver. you think your journey has ended Hah , 
duggehsmile.png
 , this is only the beginning of the insane damping roller coaster ride ..dB

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #29 of 276
Exactly! Audeze made a really great product here that has a lot of room to tweak it to our preferences. The smooth treble of the LCD3 is key - it really enables this. I know I wouldn't be doing the TP mod if the treble were not smooth. I'll be trying some of stuff you suggested and provide corresponding measurements.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 276
You guys really should select the materials for your mods with more care, wht go for cheap toilet paper when you can enhance the sound with an intricately woven bio-cellulose matrix with an dedicated alveolar structure, here's my proposal for a high end mod for the LCD-3:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back