• MrSpeakers Aeon Open

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Audeze LCD 2

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shenanbay

100+ Head-Fier
so I am planning on getting one of these three headphones (FOCAL ELEAR, AEON OPEN OR LCD 2) maybe next month. I mostly listen to metal, jazz and classical music. I currently own the HD6xx with a Schiit uber stack. I love the hd6xx, but I kinda want something that is more revealing. the hd6xx sounds a bit too smooth for my taste. I placed an order for the massdrop liquid carbon

I would like to get some recommendations. I want something that has more sound stage than the HD6xx and a bit more dynamic headphone

EDIT : I just saw that Hifiman released a new one called SUNDARA. Love to hear your impressions on them if you got a chance to have a listen

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Even though I haven't heard them I am leaning towards the Aeon open. I have a pair of MrSpeakers Either Flow and Audeze LCD-2. I prefer the Either Flow over the LCD-2 in terms of both comfort and sound quality. If the open Aeon's have even 90% of the quality of the Either flow they are a most have headphone. I also own a pair of closed back Aeon Flow and they have amazing sound quality and comfort.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 13
[]
Even though I haven't heard them I am leaning towards the Aeon open. I have a pair of MrSpeakers Either Flow and Audeze LCD-2. I prefer the Either Flow over the LCD-2 in terms of both comfort and sound quality. If the open Aeon's have even 90% of the quality of the Either flow they are a most have headphone. I also own a pair of closed back Aeon Flow and they have amazing sound quality and comfort.

I was leaning towards the aeon flow too. The elear also looked like a good deal cause they go for around $500 on moon audio. I'm gonna wait and see how the reviews are for open

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 13
The LCD2 is essentially just a better HD650 to me, with the same type of sound signature. Soundstage of the LCD2 is a little better but not what I would consider "big". It is more dynamic however, and much punchier with crisper highs and more detail. The only thing it doesn't beat the 650 at is comfort

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 13
The LCD2 is essentially just a better HD650 to me, with the same type of sound signature. Soundstage of the LCD2 is a little better but not what I would consider "big". It is more dynamic however, and much punchier with crisper highs and more detail. The only thing it doesn't beat the 650 at is comfort
I see thanks for the input buddy. Do you know if the other two might have bigger sound stage than the lcd2?

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Ether Flow competes with LCD 3 and not LCD 2.
Ether Flow goes neck in neck with LCD 3 in terms of soundstage(edge to Ether Flow) and Imaging and separation(edge to LCD 3) and LCD 3 taking cake in Bass+Mids and Ether Flow bringing home that ultra smooth Treble.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 13
Comfort- Aeon>Elear>LCD 2

Sound stage-Aeon>Elear>LCD 2

Tonal accuracy-Aeon>Elear>LCD 2

Musicality (my general enjoyment) Elear>Aeon>LCD 2

Bass Elear>LCD 2> Aeon

Treble (my preference is warm) Elear>Aeon>LCD 2(though if I were watching a movie I would pick the Aeon, it is voiced beautifully)

I would say out of the three I reach for the Elear more, but the Aeon stays in the mix as well. My LCD 2 is the newer version (fazored), I wish I would have kept the older model around, it had a smoothness that I miss.

*Disclaimer* This is one man's opinion, if anyone doesn't agree it is your right and I do not care:ksc75smile:

Comparison based on the closed Aeon!

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 13
Ether Flow competes with LCD 3 and not LCD 2.
Ether Flow goes neck in neck with LCD 3 in terms of soundstage(edge to Ether Flow) and Imaging and separation(edge to LCD 3) and LCD 3 taking cake in Bass+Mids and Ether Flow bringing home that ultra smooth Treble.

I realize that the Ether Flow out performs the LCD 2, and it should considering it is twice the price. But the level of quality that MrSpeakers is putting into the Aeon line is insane at that price point. If you compare the Aeon closed back to the Ether C Flow, the Aeon's are nearly just as good at half the price. If the Aeon Open back can achieve that same result and come within 95% of the quailty of the Ether Flow, that wound be amazing. Unfortunately I haven't heard the Aeon open back, but I would wait to see what peoples impression of the headphone is going to be like before purchasing any of the other headphones. they might be crap or they may be way better than the Elear or LCD 2 at a slightly lower price.

I would keep an eye on this thread
MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 13
If the Aeon open are anything like the closed, that would be my pick out of the list. Elear are a bit wonky but very fun and dynamic, LCD-2 are too smooth, Aeon are just right with good tonality and neutrality but still enjoyable to listen to

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Comfort- Aeon>Elear>LCD 2

Sound stage-Aeon>Elear>LCD 2

Tonal accuracy-Aeon>Elear>LCD 2

Musicality (my general enjoyment) Elear>Aeon>LCD 2

Bass Elear>LCD 2> Aeon

Treble (my preference is warm) Elear>Aeon>LCD 2(though if I were watching a movie I would pick the Aeon, it is voiced beautifully)

I would say out of the three I reach for the Elear more, but the Aeon stays in the mix as well. My LCD 2 is the newer version (fazored), I wish I would have kept the older model around, it had a smoothness that I miss.

*Disclaimer* This is one man's opinion, if anyone doesn't agree it is your right and I do not care:ksc75smile:

Comparison based on the closed Aeon!
Thanks for the info buddy. Really wish I had some way to demo these three before spending a bunch of money on one.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #11 of 13
If the Aeon open are anything like the closed, that would be my pick out of the list. Elear are a bit wonky but very fun and dynamic, LCD-2 are too smooth, Aeon are just right with good tonality and neutrality but still enjoyable to listen to
I guess I'll wait a little bit until the reviews are out for the aeon open and then make a decision. Thanks for the input bro

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 13
All of those will have better soundstage than the 6xx’s. Just heard about the Aeon open today but really like what I heard from the closed version. I think the LCD2 and Elear are somewhat close in tonality of the 6xx’s with the Aeon being closer to neutral than the others. Someone I trust with his reviews and knows the gear he has and I have some of the same that has a pair of open Aeon has said it might be his favorite Mr Speaker offering to date and that is high praise. If you haven’t heard the 6xx’s or 650’s for that matter from a Bottlehead Crack you have yet to hear them. I’ve taken it to several meets and people with 650’s that haven’t heard it are always amazed with the sound.

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 13
All of those will have better soundstage than the 6xx’s. Just heard about the Aeon open today but really like what I heard from the closed version. I think the LCD2 and Elear are somewhat close in tonality of the 6xx’s with the Aeon being closer to neutral than the others. Someone I trust with his reviews and knows the gear he has and I have some of the same that has a pair of open Aeon has said it might be his favorite Mr Speaker offering to date and that is high praise. If you haven’t heard the 6xx’s or 650’s for that matter from a Bottlehead Crack you have yet to hear them. I’ve taken it to several meets and people with 650’s that haven’t heard it are always amazed with the sound.
Yes I'm planning on building a bottle crack too. Maybe it'll be a real ear opener. I'm gonna get a headphone before getting it tho. Definitely will build one next year maybe. Thanks buddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back