LCD-2 or 3?
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally decided to keep an Audeze around as I'll have a second living room. Ear time vs bang for the buck is the issue here so I'm wondering which I should pick.

Ear time can probably be measured in minutes per year. I've had the HE/V90 for years now in my existing living room (under a - required due to the lack of use - dust sheet) since I became inactive on Head-Fi, and it's definitely had much less than 100 hours of head-time in all those years. I guess I'm a speaker guy now, and also to be honest I don't really sit down and dedicate exclusive time to music much anymore; if I do it's for movies. So going for this general class of equipment is insurance more than anything else at this point in time. I did think about an SR-009 but it's a white elephant too far for the use it'd get.

Given that, would I be just as happy with the 2 as I would with the 3?

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 18
You're looking for a headphone that will only be used for minutes/year, but you want a lot of bang for the buck?  What do you mean by "insurance"?  It seems like the exact opposite of value in a headphone would be your (mostly) unused Orpheus. 

The LCD-2/3 are cut from the same cloth and there isn't a huge gulf between their signature sound.  The LCD-3 is tighter, but not worth the extra grand for my budget--I'd rather spend the extra dollars on a better amp and DAC, since the LCD-2 scales nicely.  Both headphones seem designed for people with passionate interests in music.  I'm not sure either is a good value if left to collect dust.  If it's a status symbol/beautiful object (and I have no problem with that), the zebra wood of the LCD-3 is very pretty and you have bragging rights for best in class.

From a practical standpoint, a less expensive headphone would be a better value.  There are a lot of very good $200-$400 headphones for casual listening that aren't picky as far as amps or signal chain.  A lot of this is about focus and expectations--where your head is at when you listen.  I don't need to listen to my LCD-2s through my Mjolnir+Gungnir all the time.  Sometimes, I'm happy as clam listening to a $6 Monoprice 8620 IEM (e.g., for youtube and netflix shows).

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 18
You're right, maybe I wasn't clear about the definition of 'insurance', I mean the insurance of decent sound... i.e. in those few minutes, I don't want to be left particularly lacking.

Bragging rights upon entering my living room... not so much, especially as I've gone to the trouble of hiding ~$70K in speakers. Personally I'm thinking the 2 is sufficient for the usage pattern, but on the other hand the additional spend is not a huge amount of money, so I'm half-tempted to go ahead with the 3... but my sensible side says "really?".

So it's a matter of whether whatever the 3 brings to the table is worth the additional spend in terms of the aforementioned insurance. It's sort of a vague question I know, but it boils down to how much as an LCD-2 user I'd regret not having gone for the 3 in terms of sonics, even though it will, as I said, get fairly minimal use throughout the year.

Hopefully that'll help frame the answer.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
You're right, maybe I wasn't clear about the definition of 'insurance', I mean the insurance of decent sound... i.e. in those few minutes, I don't want to be left particularly lacking.

Bragging rights upon entering my living room... not so much, especially as I've gone to the trouble of hiding ~$70K in speakers. Personally I'm thinking the 2 is sufficient for the usage pattern, but on the other hand the additional spend is not a huge amount of money, so I'm half-tempted to go ahead with the 3... but my sensible side says "really?".

So it's a matter of whether whatever the 3 brings to the table is worth the additional spend in terms of the aforementioned insurance. It's sort of a vague question I know, but it boils down to how much as an LCD-2 user I'd regret not having gone for the 3 in terms of sonics, even though it will, as I said, get fairly minimal use throughout the year.

Hopefully that'll help frame the answer.

Ok, that helps.  I suggest you get the LCD-2 and donate $1000 (or just a bit of extra money) to your favorite charity.  The LCD-2 is wonderfully enjoyable headphone that produces sound quality that very few people on this planet will ever experience.  It's a privilege to be able to own one.  It's also nice to be in a position to donate a little money that can make a tangible difference in someone's life--rather than a hypothetical difference in your own.  I'm not just suggesting a selfless act, because if you associate the LCD-2 with a charitable act--I guarantee, you'll feel wonderful every time you put them on and there will be no second guessing.
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 18
If I was in your position (and having owned the LCD2 for 6 months now), I'd have no need for the LCD3. Especially if you are after a more chilled out natural sounding hp :) I'd put the extra money towards a great dac and amp. More so dac for the LCD2's as they are very transparent with source.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 18
Bangraman
I had to seriously consider if this was a wind up. I think it probably is, but if its not here is a deconstruct.

A member since 2002 and 10K + posts.

You say you listen to headphones  "minutes per year" and are "more of a speaker guy" (with 70k in speakers, there is an understatement) but "to be honest"  you "don't really sit down and dedicate exclusive time to music much anymore". And that " going for this general class of equipment is insurance more than anything else at this point in time."

Finally you ask advice about whether "I be just as happy with the 2 as I would with the 3". 

Firstly: you really don't listen to headphones at all - "minutes per year".
Secongly - you really don't sit down and listen to music much anymore.
Thirdly - you claim to be buying for insurance. Insurance for what? On your own admission you don't listen to music and if you do it isn't through headphones - and you have HE/V90's for those rare occasions.
Finally - you ask about your happiness? HTF does anyone what makes you happy. Apart from quite obviously spending money..

In response to an entirely sensible suggestion about a charitable donation with the difference in cost between the two you said, in effect, as you already make charitable donations: "Let's make it all about me". Based on this thread, I doubt it is ever about anyone else.

Go spend your money and stop asking innane questions.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
Bangraman
I had to seriously consider if this was a wind up. I think it probably is, but if its not here is a deconstruct.

A member since 2002 and 10K + posts.

You say you listen to headphones  "minutes per year" and are "more of a speaker guy" (with 70k in speakers, there is an understatement) but "to be honest"  you "don't really sit down and dedicate exclusive time to music much anymore". And that " going for this general class of equipment is insurance more than anything else at this point in time."

Finally you ask advice about whether "I be just as happy with the 2 as I would with the 3". 

Firstly: you really don't listen to headphones at all - "minutes per year".
Secongly - you really don't sit down and listen to music much anymore.
Thirdly - you claim to be buying for insurance. Insurance for what? On your own admission you don't listen to music and if you do it isn't through headphones - and you have HE/V90's for those rare occasions.
Finally - you ask about your happiness? HTF does anyone what makes you happy. Apart from quite obviously spending money..

In response to an entirely sensible suggestion about a charitable donation with the difference in cost between the two you said, in effect, as you already make charitable donations: "Let's make it all about me". Based on this thread, I doubt it is ever about anyone else.

Go spend your money and stop asking innane questions.

Jeez, aren't we judgmental
tongue.gif

Firstly, living room #1 in house #1 has the HE/V90. The LCD's are for exactly the same purpose - i.e. use of headphone in very rare cases - in living room #1 in house #2.

The point here is that when I pick up a headphone to listen in the living room, regardless of the very likely minimal duration I'll be doing it, I'm after something a little less ordinary than e.g. an HD650. Since I've owned pretty much everything else but don't have much experience in the planar flavour du jour, that's what I'll be going with... and I'm asking if the 3 makes a noticeable and worthwhile difference in a pick-it-up-and-listen situation in this manner than the 2.

I guess to some people, it might sound like a wind-up. A lot of things I do might. I do it anyway.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Jeez, aren't we judgmental
tongue.gif

Firstly, living room #1 in house #1 has the HE/V90. The LCD's are for exactly the same purpose - i.e. use of headphone in very rare cases - in living room #1 in house #2.

The point here is that when I pick up a headphone to listen in the living room, regardless of the very likely minimal duration I'll be doing it, I'm after something a little less ordinary than e.g. an HD650. Since I've owned pretty much everything else but don't have much experience in the planar flavour du jour, that's what I'll be going with... and I'm asking if the 3 makes a noticeable and worthwhile difference in a pick-it-up-and-listen situation in this manner than the 2.

I guess to some people, it might sound like a wind-up. A lot of things I do might. I do it anyway.

Well you ddn't say that living room 2 was in house 2...next you'll be telling us its for the servant's quarters.

Just go buy the 3's and stop asking stupid questions - you aren't going to listen to them anyway.

Better still head over to the 'Wam and ask the question there...

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Well you ddn't say that living room 2 was in house 2...next you'll be telling us its for the servant's quarters.

Just go buy the 3's and stop asking stupid questions - you aren't going to listen to them anyway.

Better still head over to the 'Wam and ask the question there...

4 years, 35 posts and you're that bitter? It should be years before that level of Head-Fi jadedness kicks in. I wonder after reading a DavidMahler post if you have any teeth left after all the grinding.

Wha' Happen?

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 18
If you ever need a live-in butler with a bachelor's degree in materials engineering, I'm right here

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 18
You have already answered your question, within your own question.

“would I be just as happy” indicates that you already believe the 3 is the better HP.

You have indicated that you’re not going to listen to them anyway, so what’s left to decide? Oh right, money, but you’ve also indicated that money is no object, two homes, two main systems, $70k speakers and all the charities on the planet taken care of.

Seems like a no brainer slam dunk to me.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
You have already answered your question, within your own question.

“would I be just as happy” indicates that you already believe the 3 is the better HP.

You have indicated that you’re not going to listen to them anyway, so what’s left to decide? Oh right, money, but you’ve also indicated that money is no object, two homes, two main systems, $70k speakers and all the charities on the planet taken care of.

Seems like a no brainer slam dunk to me.

You know, the way you've put it, it's clear that

a) I come across like a total ******
b) Regardless of the perfectly reasonable 'Is it worth it' aspect I was thinking about, the way you put it it is pretty unarguable.

LCD-3 it is and I'll get my coat.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

You know, the way you've put it, it's clear that

a) I come across like a total ******
b) Regardless of the perfectly reasonable 'Is it worth it' aspect I was thinking about, the way you put it it is pretty unarguable.

LCD-3 it is and I'll get my coat.

For what its worth, I didn't think you were coming across as a  ****** , some people just get instantly jealous over wealth. This is a very indulgent hobby and most of us on here are guilty of being, and coming across as selfish.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

(and if you don't like them I'll take them off you no probs, since you are so charitable :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back