LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Dec 31, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #1,891 of 2,398
Well i have decided to go with Toxic Cables, i went with the Venom 4 which is the 4 wire version of their 8 wire 18gauge retangular  OCC silver cable and it cost considerably less to go with 4 wires instead.

Frank has been kind enough to offer to send me his 8 wire Venom and his 4 wire Poison cable along with another 3 very well known cables from other cable makers to compare.

Will post my thoughts and comparisons when i receive the cables.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,892 of 2,398

Quote:
Well i have decided to go with Toxic Cables, i went with the Venom 4 which is the 4 wire version of their 8 wire 18gauge retangular  OCC silver cable and it cost considerably less to go with 4 wires instead.

Frank has been kind enough to offer to send me his 8 wire Venom and his 4 wire Poison cable along with another 3 very well known cables from other cable makers to compare.

looking forward to those impressions.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,893 of 2,398
Harry, very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Venom, I think it too substantial a cable to be able to fit the plug that is needed for my blackbird sadly, is Frank sending you the silver poison as well? It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it compared to the venom.

I am going to post my extended thoughts on the poison/TWag/stock in the next few days as I have been spending ten days of peace and quiet in the mountains and part of that vacation has been listening to a great deal of music and comparing the cables. Just collating My listening notes now and will post the cable thoughts on this thread and then I'm going to post elswhere my thoughts on my complete set up. Not sure where is best to post that one though, anyone any suggestions?

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,894 of 2,398
That is pretty awesome.  You are getting 2 cables for potential purchase and 3 other cables to make comparisons and for context.  Do you live near Toxic Cables?  I can't think of any other cable maker willing to lend out cables for trial or maybe I should just email them directly asking for test cables.  Not saying that would be a good thing for my wallet, I may end up with several cables and still only one headphone 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,895 of 2,398
WNBC, I have found Frank to be most accommodating . I have seen other companies here doing loaner programmes which I think makes this such a good community to belong to. They don't have to do it but they do and I think that shows a lot of trust in the membership here.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #1,896 of 2,398
I've been in this headphone hi-fi world for relatively a short amount of time but I have noticed the loaner programs on head-fi for amps and headphones..........and now cables.  That's really great because often it is we read reviews/comments and take the plunge.  So for something that isn't uber expensive like cables it still doesn't have to be buy-try.  Just when I thought I was done tweaking............
biggrin.gif

Quote:
WNBC, I have found Frank to be most accommodating . I have seen other companies here doing loaner programmes which I think makes this such a good community to belong to. They don't have to do it but they do and I think that shows a lot of trust in the membership here.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,898 of 2,398

Quote:

I  also have to hear something before I can comment on it.  I find many people in the threads comment on all kinds of things without ever experiencing something and silver cables seem to have this affliction, so I will leave it open.   I am wondering if sometimes upper region transparency often gets confused with brighter rendition.  This leaves me curious if silver cables have more transparency up top than copper.    One thing I do know is that often I will see people who do not own silver cables or have ever tried silver cables say it will brighten your top end and or decrease your bass response. 

So true, the modern age of audio information.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,899 of 2,398

I  also have to hear something before I can comment on it.  I find many people in the threads comment on all kinds of things without ever experiencing something and silver cables seem to have this affliction, so I will leave it open.   I am wondering if sometimes upper region transparency often gets confused with brighter rendition.  This leaves me curious if silver cables have more transparency up top than copper.    One thing I do know is that often I will see people who do not own silver cables or have ever tried silver cables say it will brighten your top end and or decrease your bass response. 

This is very true. i never see the point of being authoritative in ones comments when one has not even heard the thing being talked about!
There are a few on this forum who do that and it annoys the heck out of me that it is obvious people take their nonsense as if it is real.

Same thing with equipment lists. If you read those posters list they usually are of biblical proportions, makes one wonder how much they really do own!
Luckily liars fall foul to themselves all the time as lies require vigilance and effort to sustain. All you have to do is read through their posts and you will see themselves trip themselves up and show up their own lies, I have done that with one or two which is why I take no notice of anything they say anymore!

On to the cables though.. I have just got back from holiday where I have spent much of it in the enjoyable endeavour of extended listening of three cables concentrating on two in balanced mode, one pure silver, the other silver and Gold and will post, hopefully before the week is out my thoughts on both. I will say, for me, with my set up as it is the pure silver cable I had to try was a bit too bright for my tastes but the small amount of gold in the other seems to bring a slight copper feel to the picture.

I think though an important factor to include in the silver debate is what equipment is being used in conjunction as it is rarely factored in I feel and is very important in the overall picture.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,900 of 2,398
I have replaced the stock cables of my LCD-3 with Q cables, and though I didn't know what to expect (first experience with rolling cables), after just a few hours I am already shocked by how much they improved my LCD-3 : like a veil has been lifted, and much more (smooth and detailed) treble extension. I finally hear the cymbals as they should sound
bigsmile_face.gif
. It's difficult to describe, but now the LCD-3 sounds more involving, the illusion of the music being "there" is much more convincing. Even the bass seems more refined!

Thanks Steve
gs1000.gif

Now I understand why some reviewers claimed the LCD-3 are the best headphones to their ears....

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,901 of 2,398
Being new here I should mention that I have a pair of Audeze 2v2 coming, to keep peace in our home for occasional late night listening I think I made a good choice of head phones.

Initially what caught my attention with this topic is recommendations for a better cable then Audeze supplies with their products and with over 1800 replies to this thread so far the search is ongoing for some.
Wire can and will make a difference in many cases however it's only a fraction of the equation however I'll follow what is to be said, look forward to your thoughts Ianmedium.
Forgive me if I missed this, I skipped over portions of this thread,  has anyone explained here what the sonic draw backs are using the supplied Audeze cable?

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #1,902 of 2,398

Quote:
Being new here I should mention that I have a pair of Audeze 2v2 coming, to keep peace in our home for occasional late night listening I think I made a good choice of head phones.

Initially what caught my attention with this topic is recommendations for a better cable then Audeze supplies with their products and with over 1800 replies to this thread so far the search is ongoing for some.
Wire can and will make a difference in many cases however it's only a fraction of the equation however I'll follow what is to be said, look forward to your thoughts Ianmedium.
Forgive me if I missed this, I skipped over portions of this thread,  has anyone explained here what the sonic draw backs are using the supplied Audeze cable?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/q-cables/reviews/5488

Sent you a PM.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,903 of 2,398

Quote:

has your cable arrived yet?
i would love to here some impressions, that 8 wire 18AWG Rectangular Pure OCC Silver looks very nice!

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #1,905 of 2,398

Reading some people's comments, it seems to me that they are slightly confused as to what a public forum and internet is. These people act as if they have some sort of special ability, that they just are completely sure about their faulty assumptions, and they lose themselves in their own accusations and slander; in the end, to most who read these people's posts, these people look utterly foolish and immature, lacking the ability to think on a mature level, without a plethora of emotion, and refrain from submitting vicious posts that are of absolute no help to the community. I would like to tell these fun people simply to quit being so "nosy" and mind your own gear. 
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe it's one thing to scold and disregard those who comment elaborately on gear they do not have, and an entirely different thing to accuse people of lying, making a bold assumption that they do not own any gear they've listed, and continuously berate and victimize these targets, all from reading some 'posts' that these poor victims have made, in a public online discussion forum.

On topic: I'm still assessing the DHC 6-wire cable, but Canada Post is having some extremely long delays so I have not yet received the PB2 to use it with, and headphone out doesn't do it or the LCD2 justice. I can comment on the ergonomics of the cable: I've borrowed the Q-Audio cable, I own a bit of the Norn, and it seems like I much prefer the DHC over the two litz; I can't really imagine myself with the cotton. The DHC cable is just as light, it feels like I'm using no cables at all. It also is very compact and small, similar to the Q and Norn. However, the DHC has a natural coil, maybe because of the spool it came from, and so it coils on its own when not in use or close to source, and it doesn't flop everywhere like the litz cables do. Aka, you don't run the risk of running over your cables with your chair.. I'm completely satisfied, and surprised, by the ergonomics of the DHC 6-wire. The other cables I've tried: The weight and size of the ChainMail is just outrageous. The Piccolino has a slightly tacky Teflon sleeving, and there is some bulk to it so it does not score points for ergonomics (though the sound is spectacular in my opinion).

Thank you, Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back