LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,831 of 2,398
Quote:
It is not as flexible as the Litz but much more flexible and lighter than the previous Norse cable. About at par with stock cable I'd say, and definitely more flexible than the 8 wire version. They use a different coating for the 16 wire.

It's good the cable makers are taking flexibility into consideration when designing these newer cables...
I'd love to try the ALO 16-wire some day...once my bank account recovers from all my other Head-Fi expenditures...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #1,832 of 2,398
http://global.ebay.com/Audeze-LCD2-8ft-8-wire-18AWG-Retangular-Pure-OCC-Silver/120832427026/item

Someone should jump on this bargain... 
I've been researching on the RS Silver for months now and I've been told what 18awg rectangular silver costs at wholesale. It would cost around $2000 just in wire to DIY this cable, and that's without the 1% gold! 
Toxic is practically paying you to buy it! 
eek.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #1,834 of 2,398
I know 18awg OCC silver rectangular wire with gold sounds pretty hard to fathom, but I had a chat with Frank.  He's very nice and showed me a pic of the wire, so it is what it is.  

Also, based on my knowledge of cables, you're basically being paid to buy this cable.  So, have at it!

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,835 of 2,398
Excellent. Frank is a great guy to deal with and I love the sound his cable contributes to my set up. As I have said before. I think if your set up is a little heavy or dark sounding pure silver may be the way to go, likewise if it is overly bright pure copper might be the best choice. The thing I like about this new cable from Frank is it seems to breach the gap between where there is a nice balanced set up.

I am really enjoying that I am getting the detail but at the same time the smoothness and organic feel and having tried numerous combinations of cable material over the years this is the first for me that gives me all that I want.

At the end of the day I think the choice is down to ones own personal preferences and this cable ticks all my boxes!

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #1,836 of 2,398

Quote:
http://global.ebay.com/Audeze-LCD2-8ft-8-wire-18AWG-Retangular-Pure-OCC-Silver/120832427026/item

Someone should jump on this bargain... 
I've been researching on the RS Silver for months now and I've been told what 18awg rectangular silver costs at wholesale. It would cost around $2000 just in wire to DIY this cable, and that's without the 1% gold! 
Toxic is practically paying you to buy it! 
eek.gif

18gauge 4N standard round silver comes in at $4, a 8feet cable would require 64feet which would come to $256 and i believe rectangular wire depending on depth could contain less then half the amount in weight of round wire or less so that would be $128 and i highly doubt that just because it is occ silver it would be 16x the cost.
The gold content would likely ad another $40 to the cost.
I got my figures from a silver dealer who also stated silver over 5N does not exist and would cut off his right arm if anyone could prove with scientific tests that they have silver over 5N purity.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #1,839 of 2,398
Well 4N-5N silver stock costs more, the OCC process costs more, the FEP teflon insulation costs extra, and processing it as a rectangle shape costs extra...but yeah melting it down wouldn't pay all that well...it's still a very very good buy.  

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #1,840 of 2,398
$650 is hugely overpriced for any cable, $400 would be more realistic.
As for for processing it as retangle silver, i was told the cost would be very similar to standard wire. Maybe just a little more.
I might actually buy one at these prices when someone comes up with a hexagon version.

Would really like to see proof that these so called 7N silver even exists.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #1,841 of 2,398

Quote:
Finally stopped dipping just my toe in the water. Q-cables ordered! Looking forward to receiving them by huh..... next Christmas? 
biggrin.gif
 All in.

Awesome. I've absolutely fallen in love with Q's cables.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,842 of 2,398
Well, 8N purity is possible with copper, whether or not you feel it makes any difference...only Acrolink has access to this metal as far as I know, and they can certify it with very specialized equipment - namely, Gd-MS (glow discharge mass spectrometry).  Basically you measure for everything but the copper and see how much ppm there is for the various possible impurities.  Nikko, a specialized metals provider, is where they get this 8N copper - usually only used in the semiconductor industry.  Most OCC places are using 5N, and the vast majority of tests only go up to 4N.  

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,843 of 2,398
I have no experience with silver cables so I am curios about them.  Does a silver cable brighten the top end?  If so why and how.   Is it because silver is superior to copper in terms of upper region transmission and copper does not allow high frequencies to transmit as well and because of this restricts the upper regions?  Or does silver add a coloring of its own to the signal which brightens the upper regions.  

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,844 of 2,398

Quote:
Does a silver cable brighten the top end? 

There's no earthly reason for it to do so.

Quote:
Is it because silver is superior to copper in terms of upper region transmission and copper does not allow high frequencies to transmit as well and because of this restricts the upper regions?

If anything it would tend to be the opposite.

Since silver's slightly more conductive than copper, skin effect would be slightly worse with silver than with copper, so all else being equal, solver would roll off the highs sooner than copper.

se

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,845 of 2,398

Quote:

There's no earthly reason for it to do so.

If anything it would tend to be the opposite.

Since silver's slightly more conductive than copper, skin effect would be slightly worse with silver than with copper, so all else being equal, solver would roll off the highs sooner than copper.

se

Steve...skin effect at even 20kHz is negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back