LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #1,306 of 2,398

Quote:
Now if I can find that other piece of the connector my cat stole while taking that picture.
mad.gif

You mean the ass end that screws onto the back? If so, if you can't find it, PM me an address and I'll drop one in the mail to you.

Is that a genuine Switchcraft or one of the Chinese copies?

se

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,307 of 2,398
wow, that'd be awesome. thanks! i'm gonna try search for it again when i get home. i have a feeling its stuck under my fridge or washer somewhere. but i'll PM you if i can't find it. :)

I'm not sure if it's a genuine Switchcraft, it was bought off RedCo.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,308 of 2,398

Their website doesn't say. They use the Switchcraft part number, but they say they have gold pins and Switchcraft pins are all silver. So they're probably Chinese copies. But the parts are probably interchangeable.

se

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #1,310 of 2,398

Quote:
redco used their own.. which probably means its a rebranded switchcraft, unless they actually have one made for them.

I'd wager they're just buying the Chinese copies. They're the only ones I've seen offered with black bodies and gold pins. You can get black bodies from Switchcraft, but all their pins are silver.

se

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #1,311 of 2,398
Does anyone here use the mini mogami cable or have experience with it? I encountered one of these wonderful DIY heroes offering such a cable. It looks really light and flexible.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,315 of 2,398
I wrote this in another thread about Q-audio & wanted to repeat it here.
Q-Audio is a great cable for the LCD2 (I have the Rev2 LCD2). I have the 3.5 meter Q-cable 1/4-inch for my LCD2s and after A/B comparison with the stock cable found the Q to be a significant improvement.
There is an overall sense of ease, naturalness, and a better more 3D soundstage. There is better image definition, and the images have better outlines, more realistic as opposed to paper-cutouts.
It is not brighter than the stock cable, but there is more detail, good see-into-the-music detail, but not hyper-anything. The bass is especially more controlled and a bit more transparent.
Vocals and other mids have more pleasant substance, too. This is a nice fatigue-free cable, I would say.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,316 of 2,398
I wrote this in another thread about Q-audio & wanted to repeat it here.
Q-Audio is a great cable for the LCD2 (I have the Rev2 LCD2). I have the 3.5 meter Q-cable 1/4-inch for my LCD2s and after A/B comparison with the stock cable found the Q to be a significant improvement.
There is an overall sense of ease, naturalness, and a better more 3D soundstage. There is better image definition, and the images have better outlines, more realistic as opposed to paper-cutouts.
It is not brighter than the stock cable, but there is more detail, good see-into-the-music detail, but not hyper-anything. The bass is especially more controlled and a bit more transparent.
Vocals and other mids have more pleasant substance, too. This is a nice fatigue-free cable, I would say.

My thoughts exactly. Good description.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,317 of 2,398

Norse Audio Norn Litz OCC Cable
I had the original Norse OCC LCD-2 cable for 4 months and I’ll gladly admit that I chose it at the time for the price-to-performance ratio based on comments in this thread and others.  The Norse cable ended up being a purchase that I did not regret.  My criticism for the older cable was that you always noticed it was there.  It wasn’t super heavy but it would fold and twist depending on its mood.  4 months later Trevor released the cotton-sheathed Norn series and because I liked the original cable on a sonic level I contacted him about the new cable.

Comfort:  now this is what I’m talking about.  Lighter than the original cable and doesn’t snake around itself.  For those that like to color coordinate, the cotton sheath is brown and black, closer match to the LCD-2 own colors.    

Sound:  Trevor said a little burn was necessary to temper the treble.  I didn’t think the treble out of the box was a worry but now a week later any additional burn in time is icing on the cake.  I don’t have much cable experience so all I can compare this cable to is the original Norse and Audeze (AZD-6) cables.  All of the Norse cables have a clarity/transparency that lifts the veil associated with the Audeze cable.  Audeze cable does have a bit more weight at the midrange and low end but at the cost of some detail and clarity.  As many have said, these aftermarket cables get out of the way and let your source, amp, and headphone do their jobs.  With the Norn I believe there are more details and clarity in the mid-bass and deep bass with a slight loss to impact in comparison to the original Norse cable.  The timbre of instruments is a shade more natural and accurate with the new cable as well.  I’m really digging vocals with this Litz cable as well.  The bass is balanced and smooth.  Some people thought the original Norse cable was a tad bright.  This is not the case with the Norn by any means, from far it.  I don’t know what to call it, treble control or accuracy, but it’s very obvious.    

Conclusion:  I really liked the original Norse cable so if you don’t care about cable entanglement then stick with it.  With the Norn I no longer notice the cable’s omnipresence so that’s worth the price of admission alone.  The other main advantage of the Norn is the naturalness I perceive across the entire dynamic range, especially at the top end.    

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,319 of 2,398
Nah, not much room.  I never liked snaking 10 feet of cable on the upper platform where the headphones rest upon.
I need one stand for the headphones and one stand for the cables 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions and the pictures, WNBC!  I really appreciate them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Silly question, but does your Woo Headphone Stand leave enough room for the cable and plugs with the LCD-2?  I was thinking about getting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back