LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #1,201 of 2,398
Sep 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,203 of 2,398
That's a (good) plan. I haven't found how to terminate the 4-pin XLR, just 2 ea 3-pin XLRs. 

Sad to admit it, but me + soldering =

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,204 of 2,398
Steve, just received my 2m LCD-2 Q cable.  I actually laughed out loud when I first listened to one of my reference tracks with it; I really didn't expect so much additional fine detail to be immediately apparent over the stock cable...but it was.  Fine job, and worth every penny; thanks again.

Only one niggle: my left and right terminals aren't labelled at all.  Is this standard practice?  I used a red pen to tint the text on the right side, so I'm all good now, but I'd like to know if I'm missing something, or if this might help as feedback.

EDIT:  And no sooner than one minute after posting this, I noticed the subtle brown thread through the cabling to the right side.  Live and learn!

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,205 of 2,398
Look for the thin brown thread for the right channel on the Q. :wink:

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,206 of 2,398
So, lesson learned:  Don't order a brown cable...or you're out of luck!
wink_face.gif

Yeah, the thread is subtle.  I had to ask Steve to make sure.
tongue.gif

-HK sends

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,207 of 2,398
"You're an audiophile, if you can detect that the R and L channels are reversed".

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,208 of 2,398

Quote:
That's a (good) plan. I haven't found how to terminate the 4-pin XLR, just 2 ea 3-pin XLRs. 

Sad to admit it, but me + soldering =

HA!

For 4 pin XLR's, pin 1 is left positive, pin 2 is left negative, pin 3 is right positive and pin 4 is right negative.

On the mini-XLR's for the LCD-2's, pins 1 and 4 are positive and pins 2 and 3 are negative. You can use this to determine which wires are which at the other end of the cable.

As for your archery, er, I mean soldering skills, I'm sure there must be a fellow HeadFier in your neck of the woods who could help you out with that, no?

Good luck!

se

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,209 of 2,398

Thank you for the kind words, Thenarus.

Quote:
EDIT:  And no sooner than one minute after posting this, I noticed the subtle brown thread through the cabling to the right side.  Live and learn!

Don't feel so bad. I had an encounter with some subtle brown stuff myself this morning. Only it wasn't thread. We're housebreaking a new puppy. Eeeewwwwww!

se

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,210 of 2,398
I have a way to combat this.  Put on Iron Man by Black Sabbath.  If you hear the tapping sound in your right ear at the very start of the song, the cables are set up correctly.  If not, reverse 'em.  Steve's thread color thing is cool, he and iPodPJ do NOT like red heatshrink, which I'm guilty of.  

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,215 of 2,398

Quote:

whenever i start getting the cable upgrade itch, i read articles like this, and once again feel rest assured that I made the right choice in DIY ing my own cable for less than $20, which in my humble opinion is more functional and stylish than many flashy name branders currently on the market anyway :wink:

in my opinion aftermarket cables are great, as long as you don't have expectations of anything but the most minute sound quality increases, and know that its quite possible and even likely, that any improvements are either not actually b/c of the cable "sounding better" , or that they are simply all in your head.

as a caveat  i am not actually convinced one way or the other that cables make a difference or dont, but AM convinced that IF they do make a difference, its clearly in the majority that the differences are questionable at best and therefore simply not worth the price / effort or time involved in making the distinction.

"rant" over... carry on...

What aftermarket cables have you tried?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back