LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Jun 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #527 of 2,398

Quote:
It will soon be the letter "L" and the letter "R," which more people will be able to immediately identify than the red = right and white = left standard.

se

More English-speaking people at least...

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #528 of 2,398
    Quote:
Yeaaaaah! That's the ticket! I ran out of marking paint and colored shrink tube. *in my best Jon Lovitz voice*

Actually it just seemed sort of a natural given what I was already doing with interconencts and speaker cables, i.e. using a pair of solid color leads and a pair of leads with different color tracer threads to identify the ground leads. For the headphone cables, I used it to identify left and right channels, solid being left and tracered being right.

However this will all soon be made moot with a few strokes of a laser.

se

Can you make that optional?  Some of us still like to "amaze our friends" with our intuitive cable hook-up skillz. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #529 of 2,398
What does everyone here do with the stock cable. Do you keep it just as a back up? I was thinking about selling mine since I don't see myself ever using it, and who doesn't like having a few extra dollars in their pocket.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #532 of 2,398

Quote:
What does everyone here do with the stock cable. Do you keep it just as a back up? I was thinking about selling mine since I don't see myself ever using it, and who doesn't like having a few extra dollars in their pocket.

I just kept mine as a back up and as a point of reference in case someone who doesn't have a pair of LCD-2's wants to hear the stock cables at a meet.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #533 of 2,398
I have 2 cables one I made and the stock one. Something interesting I A/b them once in awhile and the more time I put on the stock cable the more I really like it. At first I thought it was kind of dark and some what constricting after putting some hours on it and the phones this stock cable is a lot better then I thought it was at the first. In fact I have now only been using the stock one and am very pleased with it, Something some might want to think about. I to was going to set the stock one aside for good and in the end am glad I gave it another chance. I also find if you switch things around diffrent CD player or tuner amp or interconnects sometimes that favorite cable can become the not so favorite cable and the old one becomes the good one. For those who think all cables sound the same disreguard all of the above.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #534 of 2,398
Well this after noon for something to do I made another cable for my LCD2 this time out of Cardas 4/22 the kind most often used for Sennheiser HDxxx this cable is very nice also.
Probaly the most balanced of the three I have I believe most would really like this one. I wish it was a little longer I only had a 4 foot piece left over from another project. Only have about 1 hour on this cable very nice indeed. Very full sounding strong top to bottom makes these even sound more live sounding.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #535 of 2,398
Another way to amuse yourself is to use the same wire but different brands/types of connectors.  For instance, using Cardas wire I hear differences with Neutrik vs. WBA vs. Radio Shack brands of RCA plugs (as interconnects).  Then there's wire geometry, braiding, insulation choices, etc.  I actually hear bigger differences in many of these than I do in different physical wires.

Of course, if you are having fun listening to wire, you need to get a life!

best,

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #536 of 2,398

ALO Ref8 Copper, but with miniplug. Sounds incredible, but I find it ugly. I don't care to see the copper.
Also makes an annoying noise when it rubs against itself, like a knocking sound or slow woodpeckers which is audible in the soundstage,
Minor gripes. The sound is so much better than the stock cable though, and it's lighter than I expected.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #537 of 2,398
Just put in an order with Steve for a brown Q-Cable for my LCD-2s. I haven't had the LCD-2s very long at all, but the stock cable isn't long enough to suit my normal listening position. I had a bit of extra money from tax returns that I decided I could use to spring for what many seem to claim as he best aftermarket cable available for the LCD-2s.

For me I'm not sure if I believe in the sound changing characteristics of a cable, but the reported flexibility, weightlessness and increased length is what sold me on buying the cable. I opted for 12ft (3.5m) of length, to have some wiggle room in the future with my setup. (10 ft was the minimum I needed.)

Dealing with Steve was a pleasure, and his responses came quick. :)

I'll try and report back when I get the cables with a few pictures, and a few thoughts.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #538 of 2,398
I ordered mine from Q Branch. It can be used to strangle SPECTRE agents.

Kidding. Q-Audio 3.5m here too. Just placed order.

I had an ALO copper chainmail, but the noise it made when the plastic shielding rubbed against itself was driving me insane. like a slowed down woodpecker.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #539 of 2,398

Quote:
I ordered mine from Q Branch. It can be used to strangle SPECTRE agents.

Kidding. Q-Audio 3.5m here too. Just placed order.

I had an ALO copper chainmail, but the noise it made when the plastic shielding rubbed against itself was driving me insane. like a slowed down woodpecker.

Interesting on the ALO cable.  I have the old 8 wire flat weave, and never noticed any microphonics from it...but then again, I'm usually not moving around that much with my cans on since it's right next to my bed.  What version of the cable were you using?

I'll be interested to hear your opinion between that and the Q-Audio.  Always like hearing opinions.  Not that it would sway my purchasing...since I already have an ALO and Q-Audio cable too...just curious. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #540 of 2,398
the round chain mail (there's a photo a few posts back). unfortunately my alo is a mini plug used with my sr71a .  the q will be 1/4 and used with the peak/volcano I just ordered, so comparisons will be a bit unfair.  

Quote:

Interesting on the ALO cable.  I have the old 8 wire flat weave, and never noticed any microphonics from it...but then again, I'm usually not moving around that much with my cans on since it's right next to my bed.  What version of the cable were you using?

I'll be interested to hear your opinion between that and the Q-Audio.  Always like hearing opinions.  Not that it would sway my purchasing...since I already have an ALO and Q-Audio cable too...just curious. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back