Lawton wood cups vs stock denon mahogany cups for DIY markl denon D7000
Oct 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

impermanente

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought myself a pair of Denon D7000 from a nice headfi mate and for a good price...:/ (my wallet is still telling me how crazy I am!!!).

I moved from my beloved K702 to these new Denon and the result is that the AKGs will go veeeeery soon!

I found immediately that the Denon are another planet (IMHO of course), now my music has a different dimension in terms of soundstage, depth, realism, dynamics, with a very very deep and present bass, but mainly what amazes me is the fact that I can hear the physical presence of the acoustic instruments, I listen to tons of acoustic music (classical, jazz, world music, folk, middle age) and trust me, I know very well the live version of many instruments and I never felt before the live/acoustical sensation through other headphones, and to be honest I had this sensation, very rarely even through an expensive loudspeaker/room system.

So I am fully happy? Noooo of course I am not! It is a shame that I can hear all this potential from these headphones and I can't listen properly to one of my beloved instruments, the double bass of course, with the stock D7000 the magnificintely recorded double bass by DORIAN recordings, sounds like a double bass in a room full of reverberation, the low end is pretty sloppy and one looses that magic "full body" sensation that the Denon shows at higher frequencies...so what I did is reading around to see if other people had my same sensations, and pretty quickly I bumped into the nice markl post about the mod of Denon D7000, it was like another me had written those words in the past, I can't believe, exactly my same psycoacoustic sensations :)...so being a sick compulsive geek, I quickly ordered my Dynamat and a couple of days afterwards, my full DIY markl mod was done...

So now even with just few hours of burning in, that full body sensation is increased for all the instruments, and now I have almost that real double bass feeling (yes almost) the low end now is a lot more tighten and dry, listening the Bach's Toccata und fugue in d minor it is a very impressive sensation, the sound of each single note played by Hurford doesn't mix up, everything is perfectly in harmony. I have to say that this is really impressive, considering that this is one of my test pieces even "big" systems have failed to give justice to that magnificient organ...also with instruments like acoustical guitars, trumpets and violins sometimes I have that funny sensation when I was younger and for the first time I kissed a girl, a sort of breath cut, but probably now  I am a bit exaggerating :)

The "out of head" and "micro external clues" have improved a lot thanks also to the thick real leather Jpads that the nice fellowfier sold me; before the mod it was impossible IMHO using them, the low end was so excessive and sloppy that it was covering everything in an awful and annoying way.

Now my question is...! Since I am insanely attracted by woody things, I would like to buy those wonderful Lawton cups, the thing is that they are incredibly expensive (229$ plus shipping costs) to be just a nice things to wear on my ears, if I sell my K702 wich are very decent headphones I even dont't reach the figure, even with the £/$ exchange rate, wow really costly...so do really this cups improve my modded D7000 by 229$ plus shipping? It would be great having some nice opinion of you skilled folks out there, especially the ones of you that had a chance to test the denon with and without these nice and expensive cups.

Obviously I read the things written in the Lawton website by Mark, but now Mark is probably a bit biased :wink:, also I didn't get very well (from what is written about the cups) if the improvement is huge or not, what he says clearly, is the fact that the difference from one type of wood and another is like spotting the difference between one cable and another one. I confess that I was never ever able (in my experience) to spot one cable from another in an A/B test, at least on loudspeaker systems. So I guess if the difference is so subtle I'll continue to stick with the old mahogany stock cups and save myself 229$ plus shipping or waiting from some good sale offer from some generous head-fi mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back