Lavricables - Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #153 of 394
Do you find this purposeful? You take sides for a company and act unconstructively to ridicule the topic.

It's pretty rude to come into a manufacturer's support thread and ask for cheaper alternatives :wink:
Go to an Apple Store and ask for an equivalent, but cheaper alternative, and then write us what they recommended.
:)

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #155 of 394
I wrote you a DM :)

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #156 of 394
Do you find this purposeful? You take sides for a company and act unconstructively to ridicule the topic. Just don't feel addressed if you have no idea
Yes, I find my response purposeful as an idea that I have. Lavricables is a more than fair deal. Other cables made from silver are normally a lot more expensive. I want a lot of gold and diamonds for free please, ... it is purposeful to explain to you what is realism. And that was my idea.

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #157 of 394
Yes, I find my response purposeful as an idea that I have. Lavricables is a more than fair deal. Other cables made from silver are normally a lot more expensive. I want a lot of gold and diamonds for free please, ... it is purposeful to explain to you what is realism. And that was my idea.
ok your opinion For me, you're lobbying that isn't productive

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #158 of 394
Hello everyone!

After ordering couple of cables, I decided take time today, write down and leave my impressions here.

First of all, I have this weird thing that when I listen to music, I just have to walk. So, most of my listening is done in the night, right before going to sleep. I have a large room in my apartment set up just for this purpose, all the furniture is set to the sides with the center clear, so I don't hit anything while walking around in the dark. I've been doing this for a while now, since before I started my audiophile journey, which has been going on for about 2 years now. Before that I was using a phone (back in the days, every phone used have 3,5 mm output) and some Sennheiser IEMs, can't remember which, and later on I moved to good old HD 569, which I've used for many years. After HD 569 got worn out, I decided to get better headphones and went for DT 1770 Pro. Very soon after I wanted to upgrade my phone, but at that point, there was literally not a single flagship phone available with analogue output (LG phones were kind of last, but they weren't sold in my country) so for listening to music I decided to go for a DAP, which was DX160. After that it kind of snowballed. At the moment I've settled on DX320, which is by far the best DAP for listening to full size headphones and as a bonus it’s reasonably pocketable.

Sadly, very few headphones come with a short balanced 4.4 mm cable included, so as far as cables go, I had to go aftermarket. I very much preferred cables with 90° angle connector - in a shape of an L, because straight connectors are prone to get damaged in my use case. Finding aftermarket cable like that is pretty much impossible. That is way I went for the straight connector, but I started cheap, just in case it would get damaged I wouldn't have too much trouble replacing it. I used basic 4,4 mm Meze cable (for 99 series). Not a bad cable, very light and flexible and sounds pretty much the same as the stock cables. But my curiosity got the better of me after a while and I decided to go for their copper cable, which did sound better with Meze Liric. Bass seemed fuller and some of the details seem to be more pronounced. Shortly after I just had to try their silver-plated copper cable, and maybe unsurprisingly, it actually did sound even better than the copper one. That was kind of crazy for me, as I've seen so many people claim that cables have no effect on the sound. Never mind that, I was almost happy with Mezes cables, but those pesky straight connectors. I've used duct tape and a later on a heat shrink to prevent damaging the connector. However this made it stood out too much in the pocket and it wasn't ideal, so I was on the lookout for a different cable. I came across Lavricables before - I've already got one of their cables when I needed a shorter cable for my DT 1770 Pro. Back then I had no idea about cables in general, my only requirement was for it to be shorter, since Beyerdynamic includes one long and one coiled cable, which is very heavy to walk around with. I've managed to destroy that cable though so I messaged them if they could make me a balanced cable with a 4.4 mm connector in the shape of an L. They replied really quick and said that they can do it. I've decided to go for their Grand line because I was worried that their Master line would be a downgrade from the Mezes silver-plated cable I was using at that time. I had no frame of reference; I've judged this only based on price - Mezes cable would be slightly more expensive than a comparable Lavricable Master line.

So, after a while I got the cable and now, I've been using it for about two months (first one I've ordered with their 150 hours burn-in service).

In this impression post, I will be mainly comparing Mezes silver-plated copper cable (1,3 m / 4,4 mm) with Lavricable Grand silver cable (1,2 m / 4,4 mm).

5.jpg

How does it look? That's for everyone to decide. I'd say it looks nicer than Mezes cables, but if I asked my friends and family, most of them preferred the looks of Mezes cable, so the general consensus will likely be that Mezes cable is nicer looking. Bear in mind though, that I’ve order a sleeved cable design with a solid splitter.

2.jpg

In terms of ergonomics, Lavricable is very light, lighter than Mezes cable, has no microphonic, even the part of the cable that is sleeved. Mezes cable is not microphonic either, but it squeaks. This squeak is very annoying and you don't have to be walking for it to happen - turning your head is enough. It squeaks around the connectors to the headphone and is audible when the music is quiet. Lavricable makes no such sound, it's dead quiet when turning your head, or even when walking. Also Lavricable has less memory than the Mezes cable, but can be bend in a specific way and holds that shape to a degree, not as much as Mezes cable though.

3.jpg

And as far as build quality goes, both cables look sturdy enough, Mezes cable looks maybe a bit a sturdier, but only time can tell which one lasts longer.

Now the sound.

First of all, I'm not a reviewer or a person that has knowledge or is capable of sound analysis. I'm a simple music enjoyer. However, I do hear a difference between the cables, so I'll try my best to describe it.

All the listening was done on the DX320 with AMP14, which is my daily driver. By now I've clocked hundreds of hours on this and I know it very well. All the cables have been burned-in for 6 days straight (apart from one cable that I ordered with burn-in service). I was listening to standard .flac files (16/44) on a Neutron app, with recommended settings (copied from the thread here on head-fi) and all the wireless connectivity was turned off.

What I found out swapping cables is that, if you go from stock cable to Mezes copper cable (the cheaper one), something happens to the bass. It gets more pronounced, there's more weight behind it. Not sure if anything else changes, maybe some of details pop up more, can't really say for sure as it takes a moment to swap the cables and by that time it's difficult to notice any less significant changes. Now if you go from Mezes copper cable to Mezes silver-plated cable, you can tell for sure, that some of the details pop up more. The change is significant enough that it is noticeable after swapping the cables. Now what Lavricable does? Same thing as the Mezes silver-plated cable, it brings the details in the music upfront. As far as bass goes, I couldn't notice any differences between these two cables. In fact, bass sounded same to me as it did with the cheaper copper cable, however it was better than the stock cables. So, from what I can tell, it most likely affects the upper frequencies, as to my ears, that's the effect that is audible when I swap the cables.

4.jpg

How can I describe it? It's like the individual sounds stand out more. Not like they weren't there before, they were, but you had to focus and listen intensely to notice them. Like breathing of the singer, slight echoes, reverbs, instruments that usually fade in the background and that sort of things.

What I've also noticed is that the Lavricable seem to make piercing sounds more bearable. I'm sensitive to these kinds of sounds, whether it is sibilance in voices or sharp sounding instruments. I usually avoid such music, but there are couple of songs in my collection that I like way too much to let go. "Big TV" from White Lies is one of those songs. I used to love this song when I was younger and back then I was listening to it from a phone, probably downloaded from YouTube. I had no way of noticing how sharp the cymbals sounded. When I upgraded my equipment and the quality of the song, I couldn't listen to it on every headphone I had. For example, on every Beyerdynamic headphone I had it was a suicide. On Mezes Liric it was passable, but definitely not enjoyable, even with the Mezes upgraded cable it was still sharp. However, to my surprise, when I swap the cable to Lavricable, those sharp cymbal sounds smoothed out. It is really strange and difficult to describe, because those sounds are not gone and aren't less pronounced, in fact they stand out more, but at the same time they sound less piercing. This effect is quite noticeable and takes place in all of the music that sounds piercing to me ("Circle of Hands" by Uriah Heep, "Sweet Dreams" by Beyoncé and so on).

So, to sum it up, the effect of Lavricable is not big, it's actually very small, when compared to Mezes silver-plated cable. It highlights the details in the music a bit more, brings them more upfront and makes piercing sounds more bearable. I'd like to stress out words "highlights" and "brings more upfront", as I haven't heard anything in the music, that I couldn't hear with the stock cable. If I focus on particular sound, it is there even when I use the stock cable.

So, one can say that, in terms of sound, there is no point of getting any cable, whether it's Mezes own cable or Lavricable, as none of them gives you anything that wasn’t there before. However, after using these cables for a while, I can't take this stance. While the differences are small on their own and sound is, in terms of content, the same, the difference between these cables (especially in comparison to the stock cable) in overall presentation of the music can be massive. I'll try to describe what I heard while listening to headphones that I currently use as my daily drivers.

1.jpg

First of all, Focal Radiance, on which I have about 10 hours of listening while swapping both cables. Not much to say here, I can't hear anything. Whether it is Mezes cable or Lavricable, it sounds same to my ears. Maybe there's a little hint of something extra in the treble, but I can't say for sure. I would have probably failed a blind test between these two, probably even against the stock cable. Still I’ve decided on using Lavricable as it has better ergonomics for me, but again, in terms of sounds, I can't hear anything.

Now the Stellia, which I've have been listening to with aforementioned cables for at least 50 hours total, out of which I've used Lavricable for about 20 hours. Here the difference is noticeable, not just between the stock cable, but also against Mezes silver-plated cable. Hard to say if I would have passed a blind test though. If I could pick a particular songs, then I definitely would have, as the effect of the Lavricable is more pronounced in certain songs. It does pretty much everything I described above and also it has, in my opinion, added benefit of making the sound more cohesive and natural. Stellia is very detailed, which can work against it sometimes. Songs that are not well recorded can come across a bit harsh. For example, Fort Minors album Rising Tied is a great album, but didn't sound that good on Stellia, as it highlights all the harshness that is in this recording. With Lavricable it lands a bit easier on the ears. Lavricable also does well on other issue I have with Stellia - like I’ve mentioned, it is very detailed, but the soundstage is mediocre. That can lead to sounding cramped during busy passages in music. This is often the case in plenty of instrumental songs, especially noticeable during a finale when usually all the instruments, background choir, main singer play at the same time at a very high tempo. Mezes silver-plated cable does a good job at bringing more separation to the individual sounds and making everything sound more coherent. Lavricable does this even better, but I'm not sure if I would be able to tell them apart in a blind test. Again, it would depend on song, as sometimes the difference is bigger, sometimes not so much.

Now Mezes Liric is a headphone I spent most time listening to with Lavricable, easily 100+ hours in last couple months. The reason is simple, it just sounds amazing. Liric is a strange headphone, it was the main reason I swapped my DAP to DX320 as it didn't sound good on any other of my DAPs and I knew it could sound better, because on ADI-2 DAC FS it did sound really good. That’s when I realized that for listening for full size headphones on a DAP, you need to have a certain level of power and just sounding loud enough is not sufficient. Liric is also not only source dependent, it also can sound really weird if you have a bad seal on earcups or when they’re positioned incorrectly (sitting too high or too low). It behaves similarly in cable department. Once I tried Mezes copper cable with Liric, I was surprised how much better it sounded, especially the bass. This combo is what got me interested in the higher end cables in the first place. Soon after trying the copper cable my curiosity got the better of me and went for Mezes silver-plated cable, which sounded even better, bass was just as good, but everything else got cleaner, more defined. As far as the sound goes, I was contempt, but the straight connector of the cable was problematic and as I’ve mention before, that's how I went for the Lavricable. When I first tried Liric with Lavricable, this headphone was already excellent sounding with Mezes own silver-plated cable and yet I still got blown away. The Lavricable that arrived was already burned-in, as I wanted to go straight to the listening. I don't remember what was the first song I listened to, but the second song that came up was "Dreams come true" by Brandon Flower, which has a distinct sparkling effect throughout the song. As you listen, this effect usually fades in to the background and the chorus takes over, on some headphones it can even come across as annoying. When I heard it with Lavricable, it just sounded perfect, like it was an integral part of the song. With all the other tiny details popping up, my initial experience was incredible. I usually listen to between half an hour to an hour before heading to sleep, but that session I spent almost three hours listening, song after song after song, I just couldn't stop listening. Not going to lie, I even got emotional several times during the listening. Waking up to work was difficult, but definitely without regrets. So how is the overall sound? Again, it's really hard to describe, it’s like all the songs I've known well and listened to countless of times sounded slightly different. All the little things that I didn't notice suddenly came up and made themselves shown, making me realize just how pronounced the echoes or breaths of singer can be. This cable also did justice to Liric as it showed me just how resolving this headphone is, it really is up there with the Stellia, just a tiny bit behind and miles ahead of Radiance. Liric and Lavricable is a match made in heaven for sure and the reason I’m increasingly preferring Liric over Stellia. Liric already had bigger soundstage, but with Lavricable it is even airier. It sounded a bit sharped than Stellia, so the effect of Lavricable to make piercing sounds less so has even greater relevance here and same goes for the effect of highlighting the details in the music. Truly, a pure joy to listen to. Over time I went back and forth with cables and I'm quite confident that I would pass the blind test between Mezes cable and the Lavricable. The difference is there and it's quite noticeable on most of the music I listen to. When I'm using Lavricable with Liric for week or two, being used to how it sounds and then in the middle of a listening session I swap to Mezes cable, I immediately go "Wow … what happened to the sound?". The difference is that big and based on my experience, Liric is easily the best match for Lavricable.

So, to sum it up, I'm feeling very positive about Lavricables build quality is really good, improvements in the sound are definitely there, how noticeable - depends on the equipment, and the price is acceptable in my opinion. As an overall deal, it would again depend on your equipment and what exactly are you trying to achieve with it.

For me personally, I think it's obvious I'm satisfied with it, as I've already purchased three of these cables. Big plus is undoubtedly their willingness to make a cable with an L shaped balanced connector, which I really appreciate. Basically, as soon as I expand my collection with another headphone, I will be looking to replace the stock cable with a Lavricable.

Would I recommend it? Again, this depends. If you're using DAP as source and have headphone like Radiance or similar, it's a waste of money. With Radiance I could go to stock cable and I probably wouldn't even notice - Grand Lavricable is definitely an overkill for this kind of headphone. However, if you have a resolving headphone, like Stellia or similar, now it's starting to make sense. Even with Stellia though, based on my experience, I wouldn't put this as priority, but it would definitely be somewhere on list of potential upgrades. If you have Liric though, just go for it - this headphone really showcases what Grand Lavricable can do and I can't recommend it enough.

EDIT: spelling and wording.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #159 of 394
ok your opinion For me, you're lobbying that isn't productive
I used to make custom cables in the past. Knowing the economics of running a business like that I also say that Lavricables offers great value for their products. I'm very happy with my Master for IEMs.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #164 of 394
It's hard to believe it's already been over a couple of years since I've had my Master series...

It's been entirely reliable and sonically transparent. The jacketed sleeve also prevents the cable from being microphonic.

Its heavy usage is evident by the wear on the 1/4" plug. : )
1686520420257.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back