Laptop > E7 > LDI+ > MS1i - Would this sound okay?
Aug 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

beck13

Head-Fier
as you may have noticed, i'm on a tight budget.

i was thinking of building my audio setup like this;

Laptop or PC > (usb cable) > E7 > (3.5mm to RCA converter) > Little Dot I+ > Alessandro MS1i
the 3.5mm will be coming out from the E7's headphone jack, would this be okay?

i'm still very new to the audio world, so plz forgive me if i've made any really stupid mistakes lol

if you can suggest a better amp or dac for around similar budget, that would also be helpful.

the reason i chose the LDI+ is because i wanted to get a taste of what valve amp sounds like for headphones, i remember when i used to play the elec. guitar, valve amps would sound so nice especially for metal, and i'm hoping this would be the same for headphone amps.

FYI - i've already got the E7 and quite keen on purchasing the MS1i very soon. So the only variable is the amp or a amp/dac combo and i can get rid of the e7 from the setup (i can always use it for portable use only)

thanks in advance for any help!

beck

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 24
Hi,

I think that setup should sound fine.  However, the tube amps used for guitar is very different from tube amps for stereo. Tube amps for guitars are almost always played heavily distorted. Even the "clean" channel has a lot of coloration on it. However, a tube amp for stereo is *mostly* fairly accurate, with some tube-specific coloration mixed in, and the amp is almost never driven to distortion.

Jack

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 24
For the love of God, please do not use the E7 as a DAC unless your using it solo. It has NO line-out. Basically you'll be using the cheap amp on the E7 then putting it through the superior Little Dot I+. Whatever DAC you pick make SURE it has a line-out.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 24
The E7 will have a LOD that provides a direct line level output. I know know when it is going to be available, however, I think FiiO is still working on it.  

In the mean time, the headphone output of the E7 should work okay as a substitute for the line out. 

Jack

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 24
I recommend that you keep the E7 for portable use and buy a dedicated DAC. You have no need for a DAC/AMP combo unless the amp has a LOD. If you use the amp already on the FiiO then why not just use the audio straight from the laptop into the amp? You could skip the DAC completely if you think about it that way.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 24
I'd suggest uDac or uDAC-2 instead of the E7

edit: nvm just read you already bought the E7

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 24
thanks for all the reply

so, with the current setup, it seems i either have to go straight from laptop to LDI+ or laptop to E7, then to headphones

would an amp/dac combo unit be inferior to a setup with separate amp, and dac units? maybe i could just forget both the LDI+ and E7, and get a different tube amp with a built in DAC? if there is such a thing within my budget lol

what's a good dac with a line out? i was looking at the uDAC-2 (looks great!) recommended by lawrywild, i noticed it has 1 headphone jack on the front, and on the back it has a usb port, rca, and coaxial,... so where's the line out? how do i connect this to the LDI+?

btw, what is LOD? lol

damn that L7 could have really made things simpler and cheaper >_<

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 24
How much are you willing to spend on a standalone DAC? The uDac-2 might work, because even though it has an amp it is being powered only through a usb port, so I would consider it a unamped signal (even though in reality it is). The amp was put for smaller portables. If you didn't have the E7 already you could've gotten a great amp/dac combo from iBasso.

Oh and a LOD is a line-out dock. http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L1-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003G8GZV6

EDIT: I reread your original post. You wanted a valve amp, so scratch what I said about iBasso.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 24
Back to the OP question: The setup is fine, but one thing to note:

From what you described, it is either (1) Laptop's soundcard, + tube amp + headphone or (2) Laptop + E7 + tube amp + headphone, right? Of course I also notice you are wondering if you want a separated DAC (3) for the setup or not.

First of all, if you want to save some money, (1) or (2) is fine but you are double amping in both case - not ideal but it is actually how a lot of people have their setup anyway. The only difference is internal sound card vs. external (E7 in this case), especially since you already have the E7. The point is to choose the cleanest sounding of the two.

The better solution will be to get a standalone DAC, which it this case I think uDAC2 might be your best bet (uDAC is just as fine if you can get one cheap in the FS forum), but do note to turn the volume knob on uDAC2 to max in order for it to be line level. Also, the line-out is in the RCA, not the headphone out.

[EDIT] despite what has been said on FiiO website, I believe the LOD for E7 is still planned for market.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 24
I had a chat with them recently and asked them during the conversation. They said they still have plan for it though I didn't ask about the release date.

Quote:
@ ClieOS,

Why do you think the LOD for the e7 is still planned for release?

Welcome to HF, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back