Landmark music piracy case
Apr 20, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #46 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The internet is very powerful.

The lawyer firm that took the case's website has already been DDOSed. Sites are being hacked, faxes are being spammed.

They will not get away with it unharmed.

And this helps how? All it does is make the 'IP must be free!' crowd look like petulant brats. That's a real winning strategy right there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times
I think its time for blu ray to be use as a form of music disc (more frequently then it currently is). Try watching a film with a good set-up with lossless audio and listen to the score in particular (the Blade Runner score alone in lossless is something to behold). Sorry a little side rant, but it would reduce piracy as blu's take a long time to make copies for and it is very expensive to do so.

Awesome, but fairly pointless. Few people demand the quality available on Redbook CD, and Blu-Ray Audio would be limited to a very niche audience like SACD and DVD-A are restricted to now.

As far as piracy goes, there's not much of an advantage there either. Likely, it'd be ripped and encoded in high bit rate MP3 or 44.1k/16bit FLAC for illegal distribution much like CDs are done now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to pirate a lot of music and video games even but I made a conscious decision to stop because piracy really is killing PC gaming and that sucks for me

Yep. Just look at Demigod's launch. Of the 120k logins on launch day, only 18k were legitimate buyers. Made a fine mess of their servers for the first few days which resulted in some terrible reviews. No wonder PC gaming is dying.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #47 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this helps how? All it does is make the 'IP must be free!' crowd look like petulant brats. That's a real winning strategy right there.

JUSTICE.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #48 of 77
No matter what happens, these sites will never be conquered. Maybe one here and there, but it will never end. Like it or lump it, that's the way it is.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JUSTICE.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no justice, there is the billable hour
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all i can say is....

DAYYYUUUUMMMMMMM

what's this mean?

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #53 of 77
I'm listening to the Marvin Gaye box set I downloaded a couple of years ago, and all I can say is "wow"! Great quality! Ya dig?

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my ignorance of the Swedish legal system, but I believe that Sweden is a code based system, in the Roman tradition, and their primary laws come mostly from the Swedish Code of Statutes. It looks like the appellate courts publish written opinions, but I don't know if those opinions become common law.

You're no doubt right, I don't know anything about the Swedish legal system. But if I where in the US and wanting to use it as persuasive evidence I would personally try and use it as persuasive precedent. Then again, I'm not a law guru and have only studied the Australian system in my accounting degree (which suprisingly involves doing more law subjects then accounting subjects).
confused.gif
Which just makes a huge amount of sense know doesn't it.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then later in your post you admit to downloading MP3s so that is hypocrisy.

Also, did you read Germania's post? If the music publishers lawyers claims the artist can't claim royalty fees from MP3 sales because they are not a palpable item then how can they possibly sue people for downloading non-palpable item? THat makes them complete hypocrites and much more I can't mention here.

My arguments are perfectly comprehensible and not full of holes. The only difference is that I don't have a double speak lawyer to persuade the judge of my arguments.

I know what I said, and it isn't hypocrisy. An alcoholic can support prohibition if he feels it will get him to sober up.
You can't make sweeping generalizations about record companies. They all have different contracts. Indie labels are affected the most by pirating, and many small labels have gone under because of it (sublight records off the top of my head). And I haven't really seen an outlash against record labels by artists, nor have I seen many artists who advocate piracy (cite radiohead, I dare you).

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #56 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter what happens, these sites will never be conquered. Maybe one here and there, but it will never end. Like it or lump it, that's the way it is.

That's true with all crime.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #58 of 77
the main reason this so called Digital Piracy exists is because of a lack of great business model.

Mininova is developing a great business model but aint getting much support...its based on realtime scrolling ads.

iTunes music store comes closest to beating Piracy....but they aint coming to many countries and aint improvising fast like Google does with their services.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #59 of 77
^^ True, if you can't beat em, join em. The record industry still doesn't seem to understand that and that is why in 2009 there is still no real remedy for piracy.
Steam is charging the same ridiculous prices as the stores do. €50 for a downloaded game. €10 for a good album, I can get into that, but €50 for a badly ported game without DVD case, booklet.. something physical.. No thank you very much.
Instead of putting some decent work into the newer games and coming up with a new business model, they keep their old business model, make giant loses and eventually go broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back