LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #661 of 1,046
The Lampizator design was always single ended, balanced was only introduced due to customers requesting for it.
I for one have a SE Lampizator Lite 7 and am waiting for my Blue Hawaii SE although it will be paired with another DAC as Lampizator is part of my speaker system.

Hi deuter,
Which DAC are you considering pairing with the BHSE ? 

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #663 of 1,046

That's my current favorite combo. GG to BHSE to SR009. Use the tubes to change the sound a bit based on music.

I am currently balanced all the way through but don't see why you couldn't go SE.

Thank you Crashem.   Certainly food for thought.  

I would be balanced all the way through too as I am a big fan of balanced hifi systems vs SE.

Bonesey. On my Audio Note DAC 5 balanced v SE is no different. Only louder but otherwise the same SQ. It uses another tap on the output transformer. On the GG it has another set of tubes to do the balanced signal. That is a cost and maintenance issue and I would have to be convinced it was worth the cost and hassle. What if the other set of tubes was not exactly the same signature or level (as tubes are) How would that work? I have no idea, only asking.

Many amplifiers are not actually balanced as in true 2 separate circuits. I am not sure the BHSE is a true balanced design front to back? The best way to know for sure is try it, but that may be difficult. If I move DACs I would buy the SE GG version.

I have been talking to piles of Lampi and Audio Note users over the last 3 weeks, many on German forums. Most seem to say the GG is best on DSD, possibly as it has a pure data stream (no filtering). I am not sure, only what they have told me. The GG on PCM is very good, but not incredible. I have been told to keep my Audio Note DAC 5 if I don't have true DSD material as it does Redbook so well.

The other turn off for me on the DSD upsampled PCM route in the GG (apart from my Mac Mini cant do 512, only 256) 's I hate USB. I know, some DACs may have great input, maybe the GG does? But I have NOT ever heard yet a USB feed I was happy with. AOIP gave be an immediate jump in SQ. BUT AOIP is limited in my setting to SPDIF / AES which is 192K. Thus to get the GG magic, I would be forced to go back to USB, so IMO seems like a step forward, and 2 steps back. I can't personally verify (heard) any of this, only work on owners responses who have the GG and have / had my DAC.

Last year I head the CH Precision C1 on USB, and it was very impressive, but again had that treble edge or shill character that I had to get away from using the 009s on certain female vocals and strings. I was told by the dealer it is best on Ethernet using the other unit (18K more money, or an ehternet board (6.5K) I couldn't afford that anyway. t don't put that sound I heard down to my Carbon amp either, as I heard it on the BHSE and K-01 combo also using USB although from a not optimised Mac Mini at that time. In that C1 home demo demo I had, when I returned same day to my 'lowly' AMR DP-777 it had no shrill issues at all with those same tracks. The AMR is R-2R and tubed. The C1 is R-2R but up samples PCM to some insane sample rate and is then a solid state gain stage.

Quite possibly the C1 with the X1 and D1 is world class? But you then looking at an 60K+ DAC system.

I would try to get to beg or borrow a Lampi GG SE. I am over in June if you can await that long. We could have a blitz demo with my 009 and Carbon and your BHSE if you fancy it?

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #664 of 1,046
Astro, you have to note what type of PCM these German guys have. I myself had R2R since a year ago and a month ago it returned with a firmware upgrade for the Ladder and it cuts the gap to DSD considerably. You saw the Customer Dac shootout from Fla that I posted. That was all PCM. Look at the calibre of PCM Dacs that BOTH the B7 and the Atlantic+ beat out!

So in summary, what FW edition do they have? Do they even have the R2R ladder PCM? Also what DSD engine are we talking about? The latest discrete DSD512 is the best version of DSD out there....

Unless you know thee things, it will be near impossible to compare.

Also, in my recent upgrade, i got Superclocks for the USB to replace the stock Amanero clocks. Surely you have seen the online feedback on that.

Finally, a BAL Lampi ONLY makes sense if the entire audio chain is balanced. If so, then you get the full benefit. One thing I would like Lampi to work on is to run the Bal tubes in series, so that when using SE output, ALL 4 tubes are used. I expect the noise floor to drop even more.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #665 of 1,046
Astro, the AMR is a lovely Dac but it is not a discrete R2R resistor ladder dac. It uses a TDA multibit chip and small triode output tube. This is more comparable to the old Lampi Level4/5 Dacs. The CH Precision uses BurrBrown 1704 multibit chips.

Basically, the latter 2 are CHIPPED designs and the lampi is now "chipless" for both PCM and DSD! No Dac Chips in the box anywhere.

BTW, if you are happy with your current setup, why change? if you are curious, just do an in-house demo and take the guess work out of it! I think some of the info you have been getting is misleading...

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #666 of 1,046
  Astro, the AMR is a lovely Dac but it is not a discrete R2R resistor ladder dac. It uses a TDA multibit chip and small triode output tube. This is more comparable to the old Lampi Level4/5 Dacs. The CH Precision uses BurrBrown 1704 multibit chips.

Basically, the latter 2 are CHIPPED designs and the lampi is now "chipless" for both PCM and DSD! No Dac Chips in the box anywhere.

BTW, if you are happy with your current setup, why change? if you are curious, just do an in-house demo and take the guess work out of it! I think some of the info you have been getting is misleading...

My AMR is termed R-2R or NOS bit prefect. It uses a chip, well 2 chips and in NOS mode an R-2R chip, I know that. It also still has a filter whereas my Audio Note doesn't. My point is the 3K AMR sounded better to me than the C1 as standalone on USB.

The C1 (8 chips) is termed an R-2R DAC in the manual i.e. the chip does the conversion as R-2R. I also know the Lampi with discrete board is chip less and uses SMD parts. Bit like the Soekris board? Also bit like the TotalDAC and new Formula DAC. Not disagreeing with you. All good here.

The SQ attained by any discrete system is partly down to the accuracy of the board. I am aware done well it can (I am informed) surpass the best chips, though some in the industry still disagree.

Exactly a demo. I intend to get a home demo in June. At least 2 of the guys I talked to had the latest PCM board. One is now selling and buying the Aqua Formula.

IMO there is system synergy in a lot of this. But as I said, I remain to be convinced over USB, but we shall see. My final statement in the above post was get a home demo, only way to know. Forums are a starting point, some paths to take, but the final pieces to the puzzle are the ears and then at home in your own system. I sympathise with Bonesey. The problem IMO is a lot of decent gear now is niche, no dealers, or hard to demo. Where I live is a disaster on that front, unless you dig Bose Ha Ha.

TotalDAC, Aqua, Lampizator. Ok, you can pay for them and return with the shipping cost. But in my case I need to sell my current DAC to find a move... won't work for me.

Regardless, the sound I have right now is amazing, and there are things in the pipeline (cheap) to further the sound even more. But you know us audiophiles with that passion to know what is 'out there".... no harm in looking.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #668 of 1,046
  OK, Astro, we are in near perfect agreement.

I didn't want you to make a mistake, you are one of my forum favourites, so I am obliged to put in my 2cents! LoL

No problem, that is what these forums are about, and so good at IMO. The hobby has so many variables and many manufacturers blind folk with 'tech specs' Lampizator is a company I have admired for a while, met Lukatz twice at shows. TBH I wish Audio Note would get a 'scooter up the hooter' and get on with their discrete board dev. 

Having said that, Peter's old school DAC 5 has some life left, the 'old dog can still run'.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #669 of 1,046
Good news. Lampizator had a special 5U4G made by KR Audio for them unimaginatively called, KR 5U4G Lampizator Anniversary. In any case, they were supposed to be amazing and sold out quickly being unobtanium. I just found a Lampizator dealer with a few left! PM me and I'll send you the info.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #670 of 1,046

Has there been any feedback from Lukatz on MQA?

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #672 of 1,046
Mar 8, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #673 of 1,046
Is anyone using a Upton Regen with their Lami Dac & server?   https://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Anyone know if this will improve a LamizatOr DAC ?

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #674 of 1,046
Is anyone using a Upton Regen with their Lami Dac & server?   https://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

I did use it for sometime.
There was definite improvement with Bass detail and also the high freq was vocal lost their grain.

I don't use it now as I changed my source with SOTM PCIe card and the Regen isn't compatible with it.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #675 of 1,046

I did use it for sometime.
There was definite improvement with Bass detail and also the high freq was vocal lost their grain.

I don't use it now as I changed my source with SOTM PCIe card and the Regen isn't compatible with it.

Thanks

Seems to be some mixed reactions to it on what's best
I'll give it a try  (money back with in 30 days)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back