LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jul 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #151 of 1,048
This new headphone amp intrigs me plenty. But given the stuff on have I need a loaner to compare with . But my only fear is the new lampi not doing the HE 6 well. Even though they re not the only headphone I use it's the most difficult to listen to when it's off kilt . The hd800 is next but given it's tubes I think it will be very good with most. I know it's too late in the game to ask for something but my vote is the exposed tubes as well.

Al

When it comes to headphone amps, the HE-6 is the acid test.  If an amp can drive those well, it can handle pretty much any non-electrostatic set!  I noticed that the new Liquid Gold headphone amp from Cavelli Audio was specifically tested and voiced with the HE-6 to make sure that worked on their amp.

On the tubes, there's also something cool about the hidden tubes approach.  It's a tube unit yet you can't see them....  :)

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #153 of 1,048
Try some tung sol staggered and flat plates

i asked about almost every tube seller available online but none seems have any tung-sol 6x5 in stock, Brent also ran out of them too, does anyone knows where I can find them?

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #155 of 1,048
Thanks for the help, but i saw this one before, is this just one tube or am I missing something? Having trouble finding a NOS pair....Thanks again for the link

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #157 of 1,048
haha, yea, I have two rectifiers. I will get that one probably. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #158 of 1,048
I have a whole stash of tubes I got to roll later with Bendix, sylvania, Tungsol, etc...When I roll I will report.

Someone said I really need to try the st glass tubes like 6x5g and tungsram only one I could find so far. Well I do see a pair of st glass zeniths as well but I am scared to try any zeniths.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #159 of 1,048
haha, yea, I have two rectifiers. I will get that one probably. 

I have 2 pair. Maybe I can lend you a pair to see if you like them before going through effort of getting your own. However I really want to try staggered plate.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #160 of 1,048
ST???

I have a local source in CH who never uses internet...only telephone. I gave him a list of tubes last October, but no response yet. He has thousands of tubes in open crates as he fixes very vintage tube equipment. I did find a pair of Tungsram ECC40s there for $20 a pair!

My 6x5 tubes (Raython/admiral/Tungsol etc) came from the US, Russia and Eastern Europe.

They crop up on Ebay eventually.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #161 of 1,048
I have 2 pair. Maybe I can lend you a pair to see if you like them before going through effort of getting your own. However I really want to try staggered plate.

Hah, thanks so much my friend, I think I can try to find a pair myself. I am afraid that I might break yours. Thanks again for the help. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #162 of 1,048
ST???

I have a local source in CH who never uses internet...only telephone. I gave him a list of tubes last October, but no response yet. He has thousands of tubes in open crates as he fixes very vintage tube equipment. I did find a pair of Tungsram ECC40s there for $20 a pair!

My 6x5 tubes (Raython/admiral/Tungsol etc) came from the US, Russia and Eastern Europe.

They crop up on Ebay eventually.

ST is referring to the shape. Looks vaguely like coke bottle (I hope I am. Not just telling you something that you already know. There were some early 6x5 typically just labeled 6x5g that were ST shaped.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #164 of 1,048
Thanks, I was not aware of that name and dont think I ever saw the coke shaped 6x5s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-6X5G-Coke-Bottle-VACUUM-TUBES-2-Foil-Getter-RECTIFIER-Tested-Good-/121393259161?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c439a2299

Wouldn't get those as zeniths have rep of arcing which would be very bad for lampi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back