LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #166 of 1,048
  How do you compare in sound 6x5 rectifiers Bendix to OTK ?

You should definitely try both as it is really different in obvious ways.  I think I commented on it earlier, but I will give quick synopsis.  With Bendix, the soundstage got A LOT larger but your listening perspective was moved back a few rows (think row#4 as opposed to being on stage).  As such, bass wasn't as in your face.  Wouldn't say it was less bass with Bendix, but you are listening it from further back if that makes any sense.  Also, I think the higher frequency dynamics are better with Bendix, but that is much more of a subtle thing.

The Tung Sol 6x5 seemed to bet somewhere between OTK and Bendix so worth a listen.

Going to be testing a ton of different 6x5 (since I was previously unfamiliar with the 6x5 tube) in my L5.  Rolling the rectifier seems to have paid more obvious sonic changes than rolling driver tube (6sn7 in my case).

Is there a particular sound you like so if I hear a 6x5 that might suit you, I'll send the recommendation your way.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #167 of 1,048

You should definitely try both as it is really different in obvious ways.  I think I commented on it earlier, but I will give quick synopsis.  With Bendix, the soundstage got A LOT larger but your listening perspective was moved back a few rows (think row#4 as opposed to being on stage).  As such, bass wasn't as in your face.  Wouldn't say it was less bass with Bendix, but you are listening it from further back if that makes any sense.  Also, I think the higher frequency dynamics are better with Bendix, but that is much more of a subtle thing.

The Tung Sol 6x5 seemed to bet somewhere between OTK and Bendix so worth a listen.

Going to be testing a ton of different 6x5 (since I was previously unfamiliar with the 6x5 tube) in my L5.  Rolling the rectifier seems to have paid more obvious sonic changes than rolling driver tube (6sn7 in my case).

Is there a particular sound you like so if I hear a 6x5 that might suit you, I'll send the recommendation your way.

The way you described these differences are pretty much similar to the results I got in my full SET set ups.I found that perspective Bendix makes more natural , as obviously we are not on the stage- performers are !When we are  just in the front closer or further. Personally I like this 4th row distance very much.It helps to create realistic 3 dimensional image for your brain to adopt and accept as correct, unless someone just like it different for any reason. I believe listening a lot to the headphones changes the way you justify sound-stage, given my own experience with a different makes. Reading your comments about TS I am sure you are going to like Brimar ones as well. As you said it is another very useful tool to achieve desired [size=14.399999618530273px]final[/size] voicing. Even better due to the fact these particular valves are not expensive and vastly available, so plenty of choices are available around :wink: 

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #168 of 1,048
What I like with my Lampizator is that the sound is really present, it is an advantage with my speakers setup. But with headphones, sometimes the sound is too much in my head. I'd like to have larger perspective with my headphones. I actually have OTK Russian tube.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #169 of 1,048
What I like with my Lampizator is that the sound is really present, it is an advantage with my speakers setup. But with headphones, sometimes the sound is too much in my head. I'd like to have larger perspective with my headphones. I actually have OTK Russian tube.

Then I would roll in the bendix if your design can handle the extra current pull. Otherwise try the tung sol. Going to be rolling in a ton more in coming weeks so feel free to wait if you like. Problem with tung sol is I am detecting a bit of sibilance with the treble that I don't remember hearing with bendix, but I like listening perspective of tung sol better. Waiting on another pair of tung sol so I can see if it is tubes or tung sol.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #170 of 1,048
has someone seen picture of the Head DAC somewhere ?  I am eager to see how it looks.

Also, I hope to be able to convince LAMPIZATOR to make on special request a version of the Head DAC with the tubes on top, so that we can see the "glowing tubes" which for me is part of the beauty and pleasure of owning a tube based gear.

--> should we start a pool:  who want Head DAC with the tubes visibles :)  ?

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #172 of 1,048
Dang! These Tungsram 6x5G tubes are too long to fit in my BIG 5.  Anyone using 6X5 with more room want to try these tubes out?

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #174 of 1,048
Jul 31, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #175 of 1,048

This is what it has now. And the tubes are on top .
Al

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #176 of 1,048
That looks like 6x5. Can't quite read the codes. Can you pm them to me? Can anyone confirm that Al's tubes are 6x5? Al, don't you have label on chassis that says what tubes it uses or ask lampi?

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #177 of 1,048
Hi Al,

Your DAC uses 6x5.  If you look at the badge on the back of your unit it should say that on tube type next to "dioode".

FWIW, my favorite 6x5 in the 7 is Slyvania followed by Tung-Sol metal base (staggered plates).

Enjoy!

Fred A.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #178 of 1,048
I asked george Lenz from eml to find them he had not done so yet. I was told they are Russian
Something. I will email Lukas now.
Al

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #179 of 1,048
Rob said he has pair for me to try
Do you know what they are ??

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #180 of 1,048
I asked george Lenz from eml to find them he had not done so yet. I was told they are Russian
Something. I will email Lukas now.
Al

What does the label say on back of box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back