Lake People V181: a new balanced amp <$1000
Aug 22, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #93 of 127
Yeah my fault I looked back, very interesting....looks like its going to be quite a while before it comes out however.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #95 of 127
Due to the delay of release sounds like maybe it will have a bit different design than the v200, other than just adding balanced to v200.  I sent an email to Violectric asking about it.  

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #96 of 127

Quote:
I am quite interested to compare the v181 balanced out to the Roc Balanced with my LCD-2s, which I will do next week.

Can't wait.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #97 of 127

Briefly I can tell you that (using LCD-2s)....

The Roc is very neutral in my opinion, you will instantly hear a bad recording.  When there is a great recording it sounds amazing.  If it is a semi-good recording you will be able to instantly tell that as well.  With the v181 I feel the lines are a tiny bit more blurred, but it makes the v181 very enjoyable to listen to on most of your music collection.  Don't get me wrong however, I can tell crap recordings from good on the v181 easily as well.  The v181 is also able to get voices sounding very natural and realistic, the Roc seems to be a bit more dry or cold in this regard.  Both the v181 and Roc have great dynamics and speed.  I would give the bass impact to the v181 over the Roc.  I feel the LCD-2s have more synergy with the v181 than the Roc (slightly)....but both do have synergy with the Audeze.  For some reason I always felt the Roc was able to create a deeper soundstage, where the v181 was wider....don't quote me on this as I am not the best judge of soundstage.  The v181 has an amazing "blackground", for example listening to George Winston you will hear those piano notes trail to infinity, with Diana Krall live you will hear her voice reverb in detail.  The Roc also had this ability, but I feel the edge went to the v181.  Ultimately the v181 won me over with its ability, as a solid state, to put that bit of tube magic on things while keeping everything fast, detailed and dynamic.  

Hope that helps, I should have a better posting later on.  
Quote:
Can't wait.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #98 of 127
Tigz: What OPAMPs are in the V181 (if you don't mind popping the top to have a look)? Your description gives me the impression you are hearing the sound signature of them essentially.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #99 of 127
TigzStudio do you feel that the V181 is adding extra bass impact where as the Roc gives you it as it is?
My Roc has tremendous bass impact and slam,when its on the recording but I know my Cyrus is very strong in those departments.
Explosive sound at times!
The Roc is definatly passing it on to the headphones.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #100 of 127

Quote:
TigzStudio do you feel that the V181 is adding extra bass impact where as the Roc gives you it as it is?
My Roc has tremendous bass impact and slam,when its on the recording but I know my Cyrus is very strong in those departments.
Explosive sound at times!
The Roc is definatly passing it on to the headphones.
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't think it is more bass per say, but just I seem to feel more impact or slam....if that makes sense, not a crap ton more but enough to notice something.  This may be due to more current being fed to the LCD-2's from the v181 vs. the Roc stock.   

Quote:
Tigz: What OPAMPs are in the V181 (if you don't mind popping the top to have a look)? Your description gives me the impression you are hearing the sound signature of them essentially.

v181 uses the same as v200 I believe, 5532's.  I think benchmark uses these as well as a bunch of other studio related equipment .  Many believe it is the more neutral opamp, which is why they used it I think.  Yes it may be an older opamp, but dam the v181 sounds good.  They are socketed so you can roll whatever you want in it (there are 4 of them), but I don't feel the need to with the way it is sounding.  :)

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #101 of 127

Quote:
I don't think it is more bass per say, but just I seem to feel more impact or slam....if that makes sense, not a crap ton more but enough to notice something.  This may be due to more current being fed to the LCD-2's from the v181 vs. the Roc stock.   

Going by that logic - would you think this will also apply to the V200 as this thing really pumps the current into 50ohms.  I'm thinking about staying single ended.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #102 of 127

Quote:

Going by that logic - would you think this will also apply to the V200 as this thing really pumps the current into 50ohms.  I'm thinking about staying single ended.

Yes I would think the v200 would be the same, if not have more.  Im sure some v200 owners can step up here and tell you abouts its impact/slam abilities?  Or possibly look at my descriptions of the v181 and see if their perceptions of the v200 are similar?

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #103 of 127

Quote:
Yes I would think the v200 would be the same, if not have more.  Im sure some v200 owners can step up here and tell you abouts its impact/slam abilities?  Or possibly look at my descriptions of the v181 and see if their perceptions of the v200 are similar?

V200 owner here...yes, your V181 description sounds familiar wrt to "impact/slam" "bit of tube magic" "lines a tiny bit more blurred" "blackground" etc.  I was nodding my head reading your post.

BK

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #105 of 127
Yeah, but I do see some opamps in the internal pics on the v200, anyone have some more detailed internal pics of the v200?  Someone want to take some? :D  It does have opamps in the signal path on the v200 I am pretty positive.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back