Lake People G111 - Headphone Amp
Oct 26, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #31 of 107
The RebelAmp and this G111 are two amps that I'm very eager to get my hands on. Glad to see more impressions emerging on this.

I have a few 600-ohm cans and I'd like a good solid-state amp to pair with them, this seems like the one. I also have to wonder how this would pair with the HE6se v2. Not the most powerful thing at 50 ohms according to the spec sheet, but raw WPC doesn't tell the whole story, considering so many people love the RebelAmp with the HE6.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #32 of 107
Some brief listening on the G111mk2... It crushes A90D. I think it's a noticeable upgrade from the mk1 as well, but can't say how much yet. I got utterly lost in the music a couple nights ago going Bifrost 2/64 -> G111mk2 -> HE1000se. I was quite surprised how well the G111mk2 controlled the Hekse. Was a stunning listen. Singxer SA-1 is inbound and a friend is sending me Lyr+ as well so in near future there will be a $599 amp shootout with A90D, G111mk2, SA-1, and Lyr+.
You're a ray of light in my little audiophile hell, just the amps i was looking for to upgrade :D

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #33 of 107
The RebelAmp and this G111 are two amps that I'm very eager to get my hands on. Glad to see more impressions emerging on this.

I have a few 600-ohm cans and I'd like a good solid-state amp to pair with them, this seems like the one. I also have to wonder how this would pair with the HE6se v2. Not the most powerful thing at 50 ohms according to the spec sheet, but raw WPC doesn't tell the whole story, considering so many people love the RebelAmp with the HE6.
think wave did test the he6se in his video review of the g111 or the he6 cant remember in which though, but if i remember correctly it wasnt the best fit and recommended at least something like a liqid plat

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 107
think wave did test the he6se in his video review of the g111 or the he6 cant remember in which though, but if i remember correctly it wasnt the best fit and recommended at least something like a liqid plat
Yeah, it definitely sounds... say, sufficiently powered by my LP. It just turns out that I'm not a fan of the planars-on-tubes sound. I'm currently enjoying driving it from the speaker taps on my Onkyo AVR, but it sure takes up a lot of space on my desktop, lol. Also looking at the Emotiva BasX A2M for the purposes of solid-state-driving my HE6 and my 600-ohm cans. Extremely tempting at its price point.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #35 of 107
Review of the mk2 is up:

Enjoy!

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #37 of 107
Mk1 owner here, interesting to hear the comparisons with the Mk2. Have you tried the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600ohm) with either version of this amp?

Yes. It does very well. LP has emphasized hi-z performance for awhile now. It will rival some tube amps as far as bass presence and treble control goes, but combine it with the cleanliness of solid state.

Dec 27, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #39 of 107
Good review, the Toppings 90D improved the macro dynamics, but its still short on the micro dynamics which is the subtle sounds after the big impact. The Lake People unit seems to do both well.

Hey, thanks! Yes. The G111mk2 and the Lyr+ sonically are a clear cut above the rest of the pack here. The EF400 is legitimately impressive in its own right but is a different kind of thing. And as you say, the Lake People brings the entire sonic package. It's too bad it doesn't have quite enough drive to handle the most inefficient planars, but for everything else it's a monster.

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #40 of 107
Absolutely spot on the A90D. It's not made for people that want to listen to music but to Twitch, gaming and Discord. Also explains the crowd hellbent on hyping it to death.

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #41 of 107
Yes. It does very well. LP has emphasized hi-z performance for awhile now. It will rival some tube amps as far as bass presence and treble control goes, but combine it with the cleanliness of solid state.
Having tried it before with a different setup, one that must have been underpowered from the source, I have hooked up my 880's (600 ohm) to the G111 and Chord Qutest...sublime. (If you like everything on the neutral/transparent side of things).
Highly recommended setup.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #42 of 107
Hi guys,
if I may ask some help, maybe if even the venerable @WaveTheory and @Ichos would like to partecipate:

I'm in the market for an amp primarily for my Arya SE and ZMF Aeolus, feeded probably by the EF400 as a DAC (I don't love its amp part, it makes thing fatiguing compared to the K9 Pro). Initially I was orbiting toward the Lyr+, which here cost almost twice as much as the G111 mk2, making probably not a good choice from a value standpoint.
There is also the Vio HPA V202 which cost around the same as the Lyr+ and double the G111. But I guess, at this point, one could go directly to the V222, even tho I would prefer to stay on a lower price tier.

I do like a warm presentation and was considering a tube amp, but I guess I could always take a minor one and put it between the EF400 and the G111 as a preamp to have the tube coloration, while still having the juice from the G111.
I'm not sure how much changes between the Vio HPA V202 and the G111 in terms of presentation and sound quality. I don't think I'll need the extra power.

So, is the G111 the best choice? Does the Lyr+ and the V202 makes sense at double the price if you don't have hard to drive cans?

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. I may say I'm actually pretty satisfied with the K9 Pro as an amp and AIO, I'm just very curious to see how things actually improve if I use a good dedicated amp.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #43 of 107
Hi guys,
if I may ask some help, maybe if even the venerable @WaveTheory and @Ichos would like to partecipate:

I'm in the market for an amp primarily for my Arya SE and ZMF Aeolus, feeded probably by the EF400 as a DAC (I don't love its amp part, it makes thing fatiguing compared to the K9 Pro). Initially I was orbiting toward the Lyr+, which here cost almost twice as much as the G111 mk2, making probably not a good choice from a value standpoint.
There is also the Vio HPA V202 which cost around the same as the Lyr+ and double the G111. But I guess, at this point, one could go directly to the V222, even tho I would prefer to stay on a lower price tier.

I do like a warm presentation and was considering a tube amp, but I guess I could always take a minor one and put it between the EF400 and the G111 as a preamp to have the tube coloration, while still having the juice from the G111.
I'm not sure how much changes between the Vio HPA V202 and the G111 in terms of presentation and sound quality. I don't think I'll need the extra power.

So, is the G111 the best choice? Does the Lyr+ and the V202 makes sense at double the price if you don't have hard to drive cans?

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. I may say I'm actually pretty satisfied with the K9 Pro as an amp and AIO, I'm just very curious to see how things actually improve if I use a good dedicated amp.
If you like a warm presentation then the G111 is not for you.
Both the V202 and the Lyr+ (as solid state) are warmer with a more analogue and musical presentation

Now I find it strange that you think the EF400 amp as fatiguing and you prefer the K9 PRO.
Maybe something bothering you with your headphones and not the amp?
Just wondering.

In the end given that you already have two solid state amplifiers I would advise for the Lyr+ so you can have a little tube fun.

Actually the Lyr+ is one of the best amplifiers you can buy, solid state or hybrid.

I have a review ready for publishing next week.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #44 of 107
If you like a warm presentation then the G111 is not for you.
Both the V202 and the Lyr+ (as solid state) are warmer with a more analogue and musical presentation

Now I find it strange that you think the EF400 amp as fatiguing and you prefer the K9 PRO.
Maybe something bothering you with your headphones and not the amp?
Just wondering.

In the end given that you already have two solid state amplifiers I would advise for the Lyr+ so you can have a little tube fun.

Actually the Lyr+ is one of the best amplifiers you can buy, solid state or hybrid.

I have a review ready for publishing next week.

I've actually been confused for some weeks as every time I used the EF400 (as an AIO) with the Arya SE I would end up unsatisfied, with some sensation of fatigue in the upper voice register of singers like Thom Yorke and some guitars and piano tone. I always needed to listen at lower volume than my K9.
With less transparent and easier cans (or maybe it's just based on the tonal balance) the effect was lesser, but still present. In the end I find myself using the Arya less and less as the EF400 was my every day use amp on my work desk.

Last week I decided to try to use the EF400 as a DAC to the K9 line in, just to see if the shout and fatigue was still there, and it was not. Tried also switching from the EF400 hp out to the K9 with the EF400 as a DAC, volume matched, and to my surprise the K9 feeded by the EF400 (via RCA) sounded a lot more like itself as an AIO in terms of presentation and balance, but with better details and staging.
Tested both with the Arya and the Aeolus.

So, either the EF400 amp part enhances some frequency range I'm a particularly sensitive to, or it is defective to some extent.

So you see the lyr+ as a reasonable alternative for double the price? Looking forward to your review (as always)!!!

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #45 of 107
I've actually been confused for some weeks as every time I used the EF400 (as an AIO) with the Arya SE I would end up unsatisfied, with some sensation of fatigue in the upper voice register of singers like Thom Yorke and some guitars and piano tone. I always needed to listen at lower volume than my K9.
With less transparent and easier cans (or maybe it's just based on the tonal balance) the effect was lesser, but still present. In the end I find myself using the Arya less and less as the EF400 was my every day use amp on my work desk.

Last week I decided to try to use the EF400 as a DAC to the K9 line in, just to see if the shout and fatigue was still there, and it was not. Tried also switching from the EF400 hp out to the K9 with the EF400 as a DAC, volume matched, and to my surprise the K9 feeded by the EF400 (via RCA) sounded a lot more like itself as an AIO in terms of presentation and balance, but with better details and staging.
Tested both with the Arya and the Aeolus.

So, either the EF400 amp part enhances some frequency range I'm a particularly sensitive to, or it is defective to some extent.

So you see the lyr+ as a reasonable alternative for double the price? Looking forward to your review (as always)!!!
Very strange...
I am still puzzled by your findings but I guess that we all hear differently.
I think the EF400 as smooth and warm sounding, definitely warmer than the K9 PRO.
Are you using OS or NOS?

The Lyr+is a very versatile amp but you are going to break the fully balanced output of the EF400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back