Lake People G111 - Headphone Amp
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 107
Anyone experiment with switching the G111 down to low gain? I'm curious how it will handle IEMs in terms of noise floor and usable volume range. At the mid point gain setting I don't hear noise, but I never get the volume up more than 5 steps.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #18 of 107
I did a little IEM experiment last night - running G111 (medium gain setting) from BF2 DAC, plugged in Campfire Andromeda IEMs. I can faintly hear music playing with volume knob turned all the way down, full volume for listening at 2 clicks up from zero. So basically unusable for sensitive IEMs (not too surprised). And then with nothing playing I turned the volume up, and I hear static just before 9 o'clock, and the static gets louder as the volume increases. Each volume step with the stepped potentiometer I can hear the IEMs. So definitely too "noisy" overall for sensitive IEMs.

Today I'll try to open the box up and set the gain switches to minimum gain, and repeat the above experiment.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 107
I did a little IEM experiment last night - running G111 (medium gain setting) from BF2 DAC, plugged in Campfire Andromeda IEMs. I can faintly hear music playing with volume knob turned all the way down, full volume for listening at 2 clicks up from zero. So basically unusable for sensitive IEMs (not too surprised). And then with nothing playing I turned the volume up, and I hear static just before 9 o'clock, and the static gets louder as the volume increases. Each volume step with the stepped potentiometer I can hear the IEMs. So definitely too "noisy" overall for sensitive IEMs.

Today I'll try to open the box up and set the gain switches to minimum gain, and repeat the above experiment.
Looking forward to what you find out!

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #20 of 107
I posted a new review of the G111 on my YT channel:

Enjoy!

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 107
I recently acquired this lovely looking amp and so far I'm enjoying it very much. It's just physically well made like a black box. I have treble sensitivity and tinnitus so I am forever on the lookout for anything that will make my listening experience less painful - to that end I have purchased Denafrips Ares 2, Asgard 3 and a tube amp, before I stumbled upon the review by WaveTheory on G111. So far this one is proving to have the least treble glare, shouty vocals, shrill, shimmer, harshness. Effectively none to speak of. It makes me wonder what higher end Violectric models would be like, but at this price point G111 is a real winner especially from my perspective!

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 107
Oct 9, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 107
Pending. Shipped from Germany (I'm in midwestern US) but due to arrive early this week. Also expecting the A90D this week so we'll have a fun little shootout on our hands!

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #29 of 107
I have an enormous review pile right now but here are 2 pieces of the pile:

I'll be as quick as I can, but as I said, big backlog.

Attachments

• 20221010_191141.jpg
    20221010_191141.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #30 of 107
Some brief listening on the G111mk2... It crushes A90D. I think it's a noticeable upgrade from the mk1 as well, but can't say how much yet. I got utterly lost in the music a couple nights ago going Bifrost 2/64 -> G111mk2 -> HE1000se. I was quite surprised how well the G111mk2 controlled the Hekse. Was a stunning listen. Singxer SA-1 is inbound and a friend is sending me Lyr+ as well so in near future there will be a $599 amp shootout with A90D, G111mk2, SA-1, and Lyr+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back