Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #331 of 729

Only if you want a blue LED rather than green and less money in your bank account :wink:

Ha ;D Heard the V200 has more depth and definition. There are certain things that bother me with the G109s, like the warmth, the soundstage and the fact that I have to plug and unplug my headphones all the time... I didn't do this with my K701s and one day when I turned it off, my right driver died.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #332 of 729
The warmth and soundstage will be near identical given the similarities in circuit and components.  If these are an issue then you need to look for an alternative to the Violectric/Lake People house sound.
An alternative you could consider is the G109-P rather than S.  I believe that this has a "soft start" delay which the S model doesn't.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #333 of 729
  The warmth and soundstage will be near identical given the similarities in circuit and components.  If these are an issue then you need to look for an alternative to the Violectric/Lake People house sound.
An alternative you could consider is the G109-P rather than S.  I believe that this has a "soft start" delay which the S model doesn't.

Yep, the P version has relays built in. I'm not sure if you're right about the sound, heard different experiences. Mybe someone from Violectric/LakePeople can chime in to clear up the sonic differences between the G and V series.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #334 of 729
I lack experience, but from my modest research the V200 is warmer and smoother at the top than the more neutral G109. Apparently the V200's more robust components make it more detailed and resolved, but almost unanimous impressions state that its soundstage is intimate though well defined. I would not know how this latter impression compares to the G109. How is the soundstage on it?

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #335 of 729
  Yep, the P version has relays built in. I'm not sure if you're right about the sound, heard different experiences. Mybe someone from Violectric/LakePeople can chime in to clear up the sonic differences between the G and V series.

You can ask different people and you will get different answers. I doubt Lake-People/Violectric designs V series to sound differently than the G. The most obvious differences are G is designed for professional use and V for audiophile/home use. Technically the differences are power output and other non SQ-related features/convenience.

If those differences are worth the extra cost is up to you. If you worry about G109-S damaging your headphone if you accidentally turn on/off the power while plugged in, then G109-P is worth the upgrade. For me the only reason I would want to upgrade from G109-S is if I need more power.

I wish the G series has a counterpart for V281 in terms of power output.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #337 of 729

If you worry about G109-S damaging your headphone if you accidentally turn on/off the power while plugged in, then G109-P is worth the upgrade. For me the only reason I would want to upgrade from G109-S is if I need more power.

This is the first I've heard about powering on/off with the 109s damaging headphones.  Is it the whole driver flex thing that old schiit amps used to destroy cans with?  I've owned my amp for several years and haven't had any damage leaving them plugged in, turning the volume all the way down and turning on/off.

I couldn't see any driver flex either.  Here's what I'm talking about, some one did this with their schiit amp:

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #338 of 729
This is the first I've heard about powering on/off with the 109s damaging headphones.  Is it the whole driver flex thing that old schiit amps used to destroy cans with?  I've owned my amp for several years and haven't had any damage leaving them plugged in, turning the volume all the way down and turning on/off.

I couldn't see any driver flex either.  Here's what I'm talking about, some one did this with their schiit amp:

It's similar but I think the DC offset in G109-S is very low (I don'tt know the exact value) possibility of damage is low. But the relay add a layer of protection. I believe someone already reported this happened to his phone several posts ago.

Anyway, I already have the habit of pulling headphone plug out before turning of the power and my G109-S is connect to a UPS.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #339 of 729
A Schiit Lyr destroyed a driver in my Beyer T50's - I will never use their products again.
My G109S however has been a joy to use and I don't experience any loud switch-on/off noise when used with my HE-4's.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #343 of 729

Roy,

You must be the person who bought the last in-stock G109s (if you bought it online from Violectric US). And I bought the G109p, also the last in stock.

That's funny. I did purchase from Violetric USA. Arthur was a great guy to deal with. How are you liking the amp?

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #344 of 729
Roy,
I don't have it yet; it's scheduled for delivery Monday. So I'm rearranging things in my home office to make room for it and doing a general late-spring cleaning.
Associated equipment is an NAD 356 BEE integrated amp, Schiit Bifrost with Uber option for USB and I run JRiver 20 on a Win 8.1 computer.
Cans are my new favorite Sennheiser HD650, Audio Technica ATH M50, and AKG Q701 (my least favorite).

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #345 of 729
  Roy,
I don't have it yet; it's scheduled for delivery Monday. So I'm rearranging things in my home office to make room for it and doing a general late-spring cleaning.
Associated equipment is an NAD 356 BEE integrated amp, Schiit Bifrost with Uber option for USB and I run JRiver 20 on a Win 8.1 computer.
Cans are my new favorite Sennheiser HD650, Audio Technica ATH M50, and AKG Q701 (my least favorite).

Very cool. I'm also using a bifrost uber for my dac. I'm not familiar with your amp but the lake people amp is a clear upgrade compared to my lyr. I'm really enjoying this amp. I just sold off some headphones. I'm currently using a fostex th600 and have an hd600 coming in on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back