Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #121 of 729
Quote:

Yes I know, that was my point. The specs show the G109 putting out around 1000mW into 25 ohms so its well under the maximum.

So what am I'm missing here?.. You would damage your ears if you output 100 mW into a TH-900 yet the G109 outputs 10 times that into the TH-600 and my ears are just fine. Do the headphones actually restrict how much power they get or what? I've seen maximum input power specs like you mentioned, 100 mW for the DT880-600, so in that case the G109 is putting out roughly 600 mW, 6 times the maximum, so why don't they sound overpowered? If anything they sound underpowered connected to weaker amps and devices. If something like the DT880-600 has a maximum input power of 100 mW, why do they sound so bloody great out of amps that are much more powerful than that?

Amp makers , give MAX output power .

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php?id=2&lang=eng&typ=3&nr=g109s 

Headphone don't only need power , it's also about current and voltage .

When you use an amp they are not always outputting their max ouptut power , in fact most time they output only a fraction of it . When you turn  the volume pot you are increasing or decreasing , power / current / voltage , there is also gains etc .

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #122 of 729
Quote:
Amp makers , give MAX output power .

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php?id=2&lang=eng&typ=3&nr=g109s 

Headphone don't only need power , it's also about current and voltage .

When you use an amp they are not always outputting their max ouptut power , in fact most time they output only a fraction of it . When you turn  the volume pot you are increasing or decreasing , power / current / voltage , there is also gains etc .

Yes, that was my understanding. So for example with the G109 it is only outputting ~ 600 mW into 600 ohms when the volume pot is maxed out. Well, the 600 ohm Beyers can EASILY handle the volume pot being maxed out on the G109. On the highest gain setting its quite loud but can still handle it. On low and medium gain, max volume sometimes isn't even loud enough.

So once again I ask... why do some headphones have very low maximum input power when 6 or even 10 times that much power still works just fine? (BTW thanks for your response and I'm not just asking you but anyone who might know the answer).

EDIT: Actually, after more testing, there's some sub-bass distortion from the 600 ohm Beyers with the G109 on its highest gain setting (+14db) and the volume pot turned up past 80% or so. Max volume is fine on medium and low gain settings (+8db and -4db).

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #123 of 729
Quote:

Yes, that was my understanding. So for example with the G109 it is only outputting ~ 600 mW into 600 ohms when the volume pot is maxed out. Well, the 600 ohm Beyers can EASILY handle the volume pot being maxed out on the G109. On the highest gain setting its quite loud but can still handle it. On low and medium gain, max volume sometimes isn't even loud enough.

So once again I ask... why do some headphones have very low maximum input power when 6 or even 10 times that much power still works just fine? (BTW thanks for your response and I'm not just asking you but anyone who might know the answer).

EDIT: Actually, after more testing, there's some sub-bass distortion from the 600 ohm Beyers with the G109 on its highest gain setting (+14db) and the volume pot turned up past 80% or so. Max volume is fine on medium and low gain settings (+8db and -4db).

On the G109 their is selectable gain and pre gain , it depend also about the voltage in the line input . Some "DACs" , CD player etc don't output the standard 2.0 V rms .

And i don't think that turning everything at 100 % strictly equal => putting 600 mW into a 600 ohms headphone . But i don't have enough knowledge in how amp works etc .

The distorsion can also come from gains ...

Well with O² , the 6.5x gain about 16 dB it distord the sound with a 2.0 vrms line in , so peraphs high gains with O² are disigned to be used with low output sources , like a DAP .

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #124 of 729
Alright well I think I've found the amp to power my HE500s :)

Now it's just going to be deciding between a 103s or 109s. There is about $250 difference between the two in Oz, so I think I'll go the 103 and then I'll have a bit of cash left to buy a DAC. It seems, from this thread, the oDAC pairs well.

Now just got to sell my JDS c5 or ALO rxII!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #125 of 729
Alright well I think I've found the amp to power my HE500s :)

Now it's just going to be deciding between a 103s or 109s. There is about $250 difference between the two in Oz, so I think I'll go the 103 and then I'll have a bit of cash left to buy a DAC. It seems, from this thread, the oDAC pairs well.

Now just got to sell my JDS c5 or ALO rxII!

I would recommend listening to the Audio-gd SA-31SE as well, before taking the plunge. I have the SA-31, and it matches the HE500s perfectly.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #127 of 729
Fit & finish will be better on the Lake People amp....

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #129 of 729
Congrats.. I haven't heard the G103.. but having owned the G109 & V200.. the latter two were absolutely spectacular with the HE-400/500 (and planars, in general really).

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #132 of 729
I'm not sure if the prices have changed since I posted them. Yeah just send them an email and they'll let you know.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #134 of 729
Yeah, I got a response and a price list from them!

They say that there's an Australian Distro for them. I emailed the Aus distro to see if they stock them because they revamped their site recently and I can't find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back