Lab 1 The latest version High End iem fom Final Audio Design and My First impression
Oct 5, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #37 of 55
Hi, how do you guys compare the LAB1 with the FI-BA-SS? thanks.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #38 of 55
Picked up the Lab 1 today. On overall sound quality (across different music genres), comfort (weight, size and fit) and versatility (consistently good on high end DAPs and iOS devices), the Lab 1 is really hard to beat, universals or customs.

They are also very easy to travel with -- small and unassuming, the rubber cable is flat and rolls up easily. Build quality is great, really nothing to complain about, well, except for the low grade and, quite frankly, ugly case. Also, not sure why it comes resting on a bed of faux fur. IMO, the kitsch eccentricity is so not like the minimalistic industrial-like design of the Lab 1.

If like me, you like the MH335DW and Ref 1, I think you would be very happy with the Lab 1. It's not as forward or engaging but the soundstage and clarity is astonishingly comparable and it's a lot easier to listen to for long periods without feeling any fatigue or the slightest discomfort.

Very pleased to be one of one fifty. :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 55
  Picked up the Lab 1 today. On overall sound quality (across different music genres), comfort (weight, size and fit) and versatility (consistently good on high end DAPs and iOS devices), the Lab 1 is really hard to beat, universals or customs.

They are also very easy to travel with -- small and unassuming, the rubber cable is flat and rolls up easily. Build quality is great, really nothing to complain about, well, except for the low grade and, quite frankly, ugly case. Also, not sure why it comes resting on a bed of faux fur. IMO, the kitsch eccentricity is so not like the minimalistic industrial-like design of the Lab 1.

If like me, you like the MH335DW and Ref 1, I think you would be very happy with the Lab 1. It's not as forward or engaging but the soundstage and clarity is astonishingly comparable and it's a lot easier to listen to for long periods without feeling any fatigue or the slightest discomfort.

Very pleased to be one of one fifty. :)

It's actually quite befitting of FAD and Takai in general, as every major FAD product is steeped in arcane Japanese wackiness. Honestly, if I don't immediately go "what the ****?" upon experiencing some aspect of a FAD phone, it probably isn't very FAD-esque to begin with

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #40 of 55
It's actually quite befitting of FAD and Takai in general, as every major FAD product is steeped in arcane Japanese wackiness. Honestly, if I don't immediately go "what the ****?" upon experiencing some aspect of a FAD phone, it probably isn't very FAD-esque to begin with

You're probably right. This is my first encounter with FAD, hopefully not the last (next up is the Piano Forte X), and the Lab 1 sure is a great start.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #41 of 55
Had a chance to listen to the fabled Lab1s at the Fujiya-Avic Show today, very enchanting sound.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #45 of 55
Does anyone have experience of pairing the lab1 with the teraplayer? I imagine from the impedance of 8 ohms it doesn't pair well at all?

Actually, the LAB sounds very good when paired with the Tera-Player. I can't explain why, as I was expecting poor performance, but was very pleasantly surprised by how well they paired. I guess there is more to good sound that just output impedance vs phone impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back