La Figaro 339
Nov 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #1,126 of 6,903
Quote:
After all of one day with my new amp, murphy's law struck!  I turned on the amp, let it heat up and went to look for something to listen to, only I couldn't get sound out of the left channel.  To equalize the volume I had to turn left up to about 2:00 when I had right at 10:00.  My first thought was that the amp had been damaged in shipping or built wrong, but I tried the headphones on my old amp and only got sound out of the right.  Then I wondered if the amp somehow blew the left channel and took the adapter off and tried it out of my PMP.  The sound was thin (obviously), but both channels work just fine.

There's obviously a problem with the adapter or the cord.  I tried a new adapter and had the same problem, but I only have the one screw on adapter so I don't know that I had a connection on both channels.

The headphones are a year old, so they're under warranty.  Should I send them to Beyer and let them diagnose the problem, or should I buy a new screw on adapter and see if that's all that I really need?  Thanks.

Beyer DT990/600? I had the exact same issue. Left channel only has 30% of its sound. there's nothing wrong with your headphone, try it on another amp. And there's nothing wrong with your amp either.
I've owned the 339 for almost 2 years now I think and the DT990/600 is the only headphone that ever had that problem, so I sold it. Try pulling out the plug just a bit, you'll hear the headphone is fine.

They're just not all compatible it seems. With my other Beyers (T70, COP, DT770 PRO LE there is no problem at all)

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,127 of 6,903
I've tried it on several amps now.  My old amp, which used to work fine, doesn't have any left channel sound.  I tried it on a Pioneer, again, no left channel sound.  With the new amp (which I'm assuming now is alright), I get about 50% of the sound from the left that I should.

Then I took the 1/4" adapter off and tried it in several devices.  Straight out of the sound card I get about the same 50% sound.  Around the same out of my cell phone.  Oddly enough, using my PMP, everything sounds equal.  I tried to call the service center, but kept getting a busy signal.  Turns out they sit about 5 miles from Long Island Sound, who knows how long recovery efforts up there will take.  I feel really bad for everyone up there, and realize that my headphone issues pale in comparison to what they're going through.

I'm not sure what to do now, though.  If I could use Senns, I might buy a pair and wait for the service shop to reopen, but the oval shape bothers my jaw.  I'm considering ordering another pair of DT880s and selling one, once both are in working condition.

EDIT:  Would it damage the amp to run one pot at 10:00 and the other pot at 2:00 in order to equalize the sound until the headphones can be fixed?  I'd rather bite the bullet and buy a new pair than take a chance of damaging anything.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,128 of 6,903
Since the 339 is really two amps in one box it should not damage anything to run them at different volume levels.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,129 of 6,903
You're probably right.  I found a shop down the street from me, though, that repairs professional and home audio equipment.  I'm going to see how much they'll change to recable the headphones before I start running my amp at high volumes to compensate for a bad connection.  If its a good shop, odds are they'll sound better when I get them back than they did before.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,130 of 6,903
Good luck with the repair. Everyone seems to love the 339, so it would be good to have the system all functioning normally.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,131 of 6,903
Quote:
You're probably right.  I found a shop down the street from me, though, that repairs professional and home audio equipment.  I'm going to see how much they'll change to recable the headphones before I start running my amp at high volumes to compensate for a bad connection.  If its a good shop, odds are they'll sound better when I get them back than they did before.

You don't have any other headphone to test the amp with? even earbuds with a plug?
Or do you have one of those Grado/sennheiser 3.5mm to 6.3mm cables?

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,132 of 6,903
I love the amp and the way it sounds with aftermarket tubes, but I still must say that the customer support at La Figaro is absolutely wretched.  This is hardly a post to bash the product, it's just to warn those that are on the fence about what they could possibly be getting into, and how they may have to spend extra money in order to be satisfied with their product.

My LF339 arrived about a month and a half ago non-fully functional (After a month of waiting for it to be shipped and delivered) because I received a dead input tube, so I could only get sound out of one channel (swapped input tubes to be sure it was just the tube).  Along with this, being a U.S. resident, I still received power cords that were not compatible with U.S. standards.

I sent an e-mail the day after receiving the amp asking for a replacement tube, and possibly cords that matched the U.S. standards, in which I was assured I would receive soon after the e-mail was sent.

A month and a half later, I still have no replacement input tube nor compatible power cords.  It's not a huge deal, since I've found alternate methods which increased the amount of net money spent on the amp, but when I buy a product, I expect it to work right out of the box, especially after a month long wait for the product itself...
I can only imagine the hell I'll have to go through if I ever have an issue with the amp, and my warranty is still active.
Can't say I'm really a satisfied customer, and I'd think twice about ever ordering another LaFigaro Product, not because the quality of the product isn't there, but because the communication as well as process at which things are done for the customer are the worst I've ever experienced.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,133 of 6,903
They only come with local power cords, don't wait for your new cables. They cost like $5 ...
Broken input tube? That sucks, but you have to get other ones anyway :wink: Personally I bought replacement tubes before it arrived to prevent this situation (experience I suppose)

A US or EU based company couldn't get away with that, I agree. But don't forget you're buying a Chinese amp. If you'ld buy this quality over here you would easily pay $1K.
Also, use Google translate to Chinese :wink:

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #1,134 of 6,903
Quote:
They only come with local power cords, don't wait for your new cables. They cost like $5 ...
Broken input tube? That sucks, but you have to get other ones anyway :wink: Personally I bought replacement tubes before it arrived to prevent this situation (experience I suppose)

A US or EU based company couldn't get away with that, I agree. But don't forget you're buying a Chinese amp. If you'ld buy this quality over here you would easily pay $1K.
Also, use Google translate to Chinese :wink:

I agree that the quality of the amp suggests the price of the cost would be $1k+.

I also had my TS 5998 and RCA 5693 prior to receiving the amp lol, but that wasn't my point.  The point is that if you pay for a new product, you expect to get a functional one, or at least a quick fix/replacement to make it functional.  Also, to your point about the power cords, like I said... it's not a big deal, but seriously if you're going to support shipping to other countries (at such an inflated rate) you should support the correct power cords as well so that the amp can function out of the box.  As I stated above, I'm not bashing the product at all, just saying the CS is not ideal from my experience, and another user's who also bought around the same time as myself.

Chinese or not, $hitty service is $hitty!

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #1,135 of 6,903
I did try my earbuds on the old amp and they worked fine.  Wasn't sure if I sure try earbuds with tubes.  I have a pair of AD700s put away somewhere that I've been meaning to sell.  Never did like them.  I'll see where I put them for now.

Verdict with the earbuds--amp works perfectly fine, but sounds like crap through earbuds.

I contacted the audio repair place.  They told me its not worth their time to re-cord or fix the ends on headphones.  I know the drivers work because my PMP plays sounds evenly.  It seems to depend on where the connector hits the lead.  My sound card and the 339 get some sound out of the right channel.  My old Onkyo and my parents Pioneer get nothing.  Anyone know where I could get it recabled?

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,136 of 6,903
I did find a local repair shop thats willing to re-cable the headphones if I get the correct cable and some detailed directions (which I'm sure I can find on here).  He said that it sounds like the end connector came loose (obviously), but that the wires inside most headphones are too delicate to try soldering a new end on, so it would be a complete re-cable (anyone know if this is true of Beyer?).  First couple places wouldn't even talk to me for a small job like headphones--told me to just replace them.

Unless there's a significant advantage to re-cabling, though, I'll probably just wait for the official repair shop to open again.  They're five miles inland so my guess is they probably just need power.  Since they're still under warranty it should be covered and even if they say I snagged it so its not covered, their fee was only $50 to re-cable to factory specs and they know what they're doing.

In the meantime, I'll can use my IEMs and PMP.  And I can always sell my AD700s and buy something different so I have two headphones to choose between.  I'll give it a few days, though.

EDIT:  It sounds like Beyer is back up in business.  I can't get anyone on the phone, but their voicemail says they've moved offices to help accomodate their customers.  I'm not sure if this was a planned move or if they setup a temporary space to get out of the disaster zone.  Anyway,  I'll give things a few days to settle down then send the headphones in for repair.  I'll admit that now would be a good time to pick up new cans, but I'd rather get something because I want a change, not because I need something to fill in for two weeks.  Besides...I need money for tube rolling.  At the moment, my amp just taunts me.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,137 of 6,903
Been a long time since I posted in this thread.

Quote:

Beyer DT990/600? I had the exact same issue. Left channel only has 30% of its sound. there's nothing wrong with your headphone, try it on another amp. And there's nothing wrong with your amp either.
I've owned the 339 for almost 2 years now I think and the DT990/600 is the only headphone that ever had that problem, so I sold it. Try pulling out the plug just a bit, you'll hear the headphone is fine.

They're just not all compatible it seems. With my other Beyers (T70, COP, DT770 PRO LE there is no problem at all)

I don't have this problem with my LF339+DT990-600, nor with LF339 +any other headphone that I own either. I've listened to my friend's DT880-250 on this amp as well with no issues. I haven't been using my DT990 with the 339 much though, I've since preferred listening with an SS amp when using the beyer. My favorite pairing with the 339 is now the grado sr325is!

Anyway my 339 has only exhibited 3 problems in the past two years, and 2 of them are my fault (lol)

Problem #1: The black transformer housings now have a "melted" appearance on top. This happened after I left a guitar amp physically on top of the 339 while it was on. Although it's wavy and crumpled in appearance, it is not friable and it's actually not quite noticeable. ME = SORT OF IDIOT

Problem #2: One of my stock 6N13P power tubes literally let off smoke and made a small hole in the base's seal. I was playing switch-da-toobs and put the power tubes where the driver tubes should be and vice versa. Result? A mini heart attack but thankfully I cut off the power early and there appears to be no audible difference upon AB'ing. ME = FULL BLOWN IDIOT

Problem #3: Okay this one isn't my fault at all. The right green led indicator sometimes doesn't light up. Light blunt force is usually needed to shake the innards and turn this light on. This solution may, in some highfalutin' elitist circles, be considered UTTERLY STOOPID as well >_> I've always put off my plans to simply open up the 339 and fix/solder what's wrong..

Is there a guide somewhere that teaches which tubes one can substitute for any given tube? Not just a list of suggestions, but how to reliably know which tubes are viable for use with the 339 and which are not. Yup, upgrade time!

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,139 of 6,903
Just turned on my 339 and the left tube went popopopopopop with fireworks! Awesome
rolleyes.gif

Edit. amp is ok! Phew! Made me cancel my decision to sell my spare tubes

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,140 of 6,903
Thanks for the tip, Ultrainferno! I'll check the thread out right away.

And glad to hear the important part of the 339 remains unscathed! Maybe tube-rolling has advantages more than sonic choice after all :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back