La Figaro 339
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #6,558 of 6,903
I think this is a kind of cooler, as the amp is getting really hot. What are Your stock driver tubes?
These are the stock driver tubes.

So I just got back and turned the amp on, my mullard 6080s started to spark and click. I immediately turned it off. Is it safe to turn it back on? I am worried now.

edit* I have the 220v volt version and am in the Uk which I am thinking may be the cause now?

I did a google at the time and thought this would be fine but now I'm thinking I just need to return the unit as the preamp doesn't work anyway and get the voltage taken up. Would be another month plus wait but seems like I have to suck it up for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_162043.jpg
    IMG_20211009_162043.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #6,560 of 6,903
Do You know the type? As for sparkling and clickingsome noises when starting may be normal, do not know how noisy it was in Your case?
These are the tubes. Russian 6kk4 I think.

So the mullard were sparking as if they were going to set on fire. The clicks were way louder than normal and I could see literal sparks and it seemed like it was gonna set on fire that was my instinct.

Would the slight voltage change from my UK socket be an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_163408.jpg
    IMG_20211009_163408.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #6,561 of 6,903
I does not seem Your La Figaro accepts 6sn7. As for sparks I have not experienced anything like that. I would defer to others experience.

Check if all tubes/cables are properly installed. If the amp is European voltage there should be no problem with UK socket.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #6,562 of 6,903
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #6,563 of 6,903
I does not seem Your La Figaro accepts 6sn7. As for sparks I have not experienced anything like that. I would defer to others experience.

Check if all tubes/cables are properly installed. If the amp is European voltage there should be no problem with UK socket.
Yes thanks mate, I will sell those tubes off and get some new ones.

I am thinking I potentially had them seated wrong as well. I know the mullard are compatable.

Also, yes, I thought that as well with the voltage. I will wait for others advice before turning it on and making a very expensive mistake. Thanks for your help.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #6,564 of 6,903
That is you issue @Starvingforschiit , you cannot use your 6SN7 tubes in the 339i. They use 6SJ7 and equivalents. Search back in this thread for proper tubes.
Thanks I will do mate. Hopefully the sparks don't mean anything as well, but it was pretty worrying.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #6,565 of 6,903
Here is a good start in the link below.
Member @UntilThen putvthis together showing different combinations he used when he had the amp,
He is a well respected member on here who does a LOT of tube/amp rolling and many of us live through his experiences. 😁
Please be aware some of the driver tubes (the outside ones) may need adapters But RCA 5693 and any 6SJ7 is a direct plug in.

I would not use the tube if it is sparking. Are both doing it as it looks like lightning in a bottle? It can blow a component in the amp if the tube is damaged. Be careful and use the stock tubes if you do not have any other 6AS7/6080 tubes handy.

Post in thread 'La Figaro 339'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/la-figaro-339.502306/post-13657762

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #6,566 of 6,903
Here is a good start in the link below.
Member @UntilThen putvthis together showing different combinations he used when he had the amp,
He is a well respected member on here who does a LOT of tube/amp rolling and many of us live through his experiences. 😁
Please be aware some of the driver tubes (the outside ones) may need adapters But RCA 5693 and any 6SJ7 is a direct plug in.

I would not use the tube if it is sparking. Are both doing it as it looks like lightning in a bottle? It can blow a component in the amp if the tube is damaged. Be careful and use the stock tubes if you do not have any other 6AS7/6080 tubes handy.

Post in thread 'La Figaro 339'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/la-figaro-339.502306/post-13657762
Thanks I will read up today. Where would I buy an adapter if I need one as well?

Also, yes they both did it like that. It was like lightning ye, the tube looks the same as before strangely but I'm no expert.

The thing is, I was using the tubes before so I think it was something with the amp rather than the tubes. They were also 60 pound each so for them to be broken now is a bit depressing as they are only a couple months old to me. I can use the stock ones but I invested in these recently. Is there any chance they are fine or am I just being hopeful?

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #6,567 of 6,903
Thanks I will read up today. Where would I buy an adapter if I need one as well?

Also, yes they both did it like that. It was like lightning ye, the tube looks the same as before strangely but I'm no expert.

The thing is, I was using the tubes before so I think it was something with the amp rather than the tubes. They were also 60 pound each so for them to be broken now is a bit depressing as they are only a couple months old to me. I can use the stock ones but I invested in these recently. Is there any chance they are fine or am I just being hopeful?
Adapters you can get either on eBay or from a member here on Head-Fi named @Deyan.

I would go back and try your 6080s in your Darkvoice if you still have it.
If the stock tubes work in the 339i without sparking, then it may be the tubes unfortunately.

I had a 6080wb tubes spark purple lightning after I had dropped it and it fried a capacitor in my Euforia that needed fixing so be careful.

If you are having issues and cannot use the preamp out I guess it would be best to send back.
If you got from Shenzen audio then the replacement shouldn’t take to long if hey have the stock but supply chains the way they are these days there might be a delay.

It really is a great amp if you didn’t have these issues. I like this amp so much I have 2 of them. One is in my office and the other powers my vinyl record player with the preamp out.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #6,568 of 6,903
Adapters you can get either on eBay or from a member here on Head-Fi named @Deyan.

I would go back and try your 6080s in your Darkvoice if you still have it.
If the stock tubes work in the 339i without sparking, then it may be the tubes unfortunately.

I had a 6080wb tubes spark purple lightning after I had dropped it and it fried a capacitor in my Euforia that needed fixing so be careful.

If you are having issues and cannot use the preamp out I guess it would be best to send back.
If you got from Shenzen audio then the replacement shouldn’t take to long if hey have the stock but supply chains the way they are these days there might be a delay.

It really is a great amp if you didn’t have these issues. I like this amp so much I have 2 of them. One is in my office and the other powers my vinyl record player with the preamp out.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion.

So I just put the 6080 in the darkvoice and it started to spark again. So those tubes must indeed be fried. I am a bit apprehensive to put the stock tubes in the Figaro now as I am sure it was the amp that did them in.

I should return it, but I have to pay postage and it takes a month so ill try everything I can to not do that for now, but I will if I need to. I was listening last night and it was amazing. I actually was using it for about 30 minutes, came back a couple hours later and the tubes fried. Very strange.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #6,569 of 6,903
I would recommend trying the stock tubes again, tubes can die after a short period of use, it’s happened to me too. Of course a bad tube can damage the amp so sending back is the safest option. But the worst thing is the amp will damage the stock tubes which you don’t care about since you need to send it back anyways?

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #6,570 of 6,903
I would recommend trying the stock tubes again, tubes can die after a short period of use, it’s happened to me too. Of course a bad tube can damage the amp so sending back is the safest option. But the worst thing is the amp will damage the stock tubes which you don’t care about since you need to send it back anyways?
Can't disagree with your logic, they seem to be working fine. Interesting. Maybe I just got really unlucky with those tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back