La Figaro 339
Sep 22, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #6,541 of 6,903
Old question from a old user --- what is THE headphone for 339i?

I tried and sold (or selling) after a few easy modifications such as pads and cables:

Ether Flow Open: great tonality. Nothing wrong but the soundstage is a bit thin in orchestral music -- all instruments are separated clearly but all in the same line.
LCD-3f: great for pop / rock, but the tonality is likely wrong for classical (particularly the strings), even after EQ
HE560: Great all rounder but not as great as other setups (e.g., HE6+speaker amp). You can basically hear the limit of HE560
HD800: Again nothing really wrong about it, great (and most importantly, "right") sound, but bass extension is pretty limited (even after EQ)
HD6xx: great all rounder, but it is not as competitive as HD800 anyways. I actually love it for its performance at the cost.

FWIW, I am comparing (fairly or unfairly) with Stax lambda pro, and GL1200 ribbon. I think STAX has the right sound for the strings (basically mid to high frequencies) with little EQ. GL1200 is great but also experimental.

Any help?
For me, DT1990 or T1.2.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #6,542 of 6,903
My new 339i amplifier has an unpleasant loud electrical hum in my headphones. You can also hear it loudly with the mute button completely muted, but you can hear it clearly in the quieter parts or silences of the music.

It’s a really unpleasant noise, because anyway the voice is breathlessly amazing.

It can also be heard with original tubes, but also with Mullard and RCA.

Is there a way to eliminate this?

I have similar experience. My amp hums a bit when turning on, and then stays in a lower level (but you can still hear it). Various tubes have slightly different levels of humming.

There are two things I found in my setup

-- Interference. Your other gears might cause this issue. Try to put your LF isolated (e.g., far away from other gears and no input source) and check if you still have this hum. In my setup it is the old CD player.

-- Headphone / cable microphonic. My Focal headphone is more microphonic than Audeze. Some cables are more microphonic than others due to cross talk. Changing the headphone cable might help (don't need to be expensive ones).

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #6,543 of 6,903
Grado GS1000i, Focal Clear Professional and LCD-X 2021 are all great on the 339i.

I think you're asking what is the headphone for hp4fun!

Focal FTW! (and yes you are right -- it is more about me + headphone than the 339i itself)

In a post a few months ago I declared Stellia was a mismatch. The main complained was about the stuffy sound.

Recently I bought the EQ software and it had the preset for Stellia so I tried it. Turns out it removed all the nuisance and the hp sounds right for most of the instruments I listen. I like the Focal sound better than the Hd800 sound. French vs German again!

Given the Focal headphones I heard all share the same signature, I think Focal Clear is definitely a better option than Stellia (open back) and cheaper.

ps: I also EQ the Audeze because the no hp beats Audeze for the bass. Basically I bump up the 1k-8k range and now it is less recessed and more enjoyable for vocal. And yes, using the same EQ, Figaro 339i still sounds amazing (more than other amps).

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6,544 of 6,903
Hi
These are photos of the inside of my new amplifier. I ask you, what would be the suggestions for tuning the device in the future?
Oil paper capacitors? Others? Black gate capacitors?

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_151025.jpg
    IMG_20210930_151025.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210930_151028.jpg
    IMG_20210930_151028.jpg
  • IMG_20210930_151030.jpg
    IMG_20210930_151030.jpg
Oct 4, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #6,545 of 6,903
Old question from a old user --- what is THE headphone for 339i?

I tried and sold (or selling) after a few easy modifications such as pads and cables:

Ether Flow Open: great tonality. Nothing wrong but the soundstage is a bit thin in orchestral music -- all instruments are separated clearly but all in the same line.
LCD-3f: great for pop / rock, but the tonality is likely wrong for classical (particularly the strings), even after EQ
HE560: Great all rounder but not as great as other setups (e.g., HE6+speaker amp). You can basically hear the limit of HE560
HD800: Again nothing really wrong about it, great (and most importantly, "right") sound, but bass extension is pretty limited (even after EQ)
HD6xx: great all rounder, but it is not as competitive as HD800 anyways. I actually love it for its performance at the cost.

FWIW, I am comparing (fairly or unfairly) with Stax lambda pro, and GL1200 ribbon. I think STAX has the right sound for the strings (basically mid to high frequencies) with little EQ. GL1200 is great but also experimental.

Any help?
Back when I had this amp the Elex was my favorite pairing. Sennheisers are good too but the Elex was particularly good.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #6,546 of 6,903
Hey guys.

I just got this amp after waiting a month, and unfortunately, I can only plug in one of the rcas successfully.

The female rca inner white circle moves in a way where I can't make a proper connection.

Super dissapointed obviously and have contacted shenzen, but I wondered if there was anyone else with experience with this?

I'd be extremely grateful for some help as I'd love to just quickly fix this and not have the faff of sending it to China.

Thank you

****update. So it's only the line-outs that I cant get the rca into, but i don't have any sound on the rca in? Does anyone know why this might be? I'm starting to think its just faulty now.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #6,548 of 6,903
Hey guys.

I just got this amp after waiting a month, and unfortunately, I can only plug in one of the rcas successfully.

The female rca inner white circle moves in a way where I can't make a proper connection.

Super dissapointed obviously and have contacted shenzen, but I wondered if there was anyone else with experience with this?

I'd be extremely grateful for some help as I'd love to just quickly fix this and not have the faff of sending it to China.

Thank you

****update. So it's only the line-outs that I cant get the rca into, but i don't have any sound on the rca in? Does anyone know why this might be? I'm starting to think its just faulty now.
Can You share a photo? I understand that RCA inputs are loose so that You can not insert RCA cable?

RCA out is for preamp. You should insert RCA cable to RCA in.

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #6,549 of 6,903
Thanks for replying. Basically yes, the rca inputs are too loose for the preamp section of the amp. Shenzen has asked for a video. At first, I was confused as I couldn't get sound through the headphone in either. However, I changed the pre amp tubes and they now work.

I still have my Darkvoice next to me and my pre amp tubes work in that, why could that be? They are standard Tung Sol 6sn7GTB with the brown base.

Its working now but only with the standard tubes which I am sure suck?

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #6,550 of 6,903
Basically yes, the rca inputs are too loose for the preamp section of the amp

That i do not understand, how inputs can be too loose for preamp section?

In order for the amp to work You need to insert rca cables into RCA input and turn it on. When headphones are plugged in You should hear sound. All 4 tubes should be in place obviously. Pre out has nothing to do with it, unless You are using La figaro as a preamp, which i understand is not the case?

What do You mean by preamp tubes? La figaro has 2 driver tubes and 2 power tubes.

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #6,551 of 6,903
I can take a picture when I am home. Essentially, the rca won't fully insert into the socket yes. I can use the main function and use it as a headphone amp now, I didn't realise it was a tube issue.

Apologies, yes I mean driver tubes. So I've gotten the amp to work now but the driver tubes I was using on my darkvoice don't work so I'm confused as to whether they are compatable now? They are standard Tung Sol 6sn7GTB with the brown base? It's cool if not I can sell them on, I just thought my older tubes would work, maybe foolishly.

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #6,553 of 6,903
I have mullard 6080s as the power tube, and Tung Sol 6sn7GTB with the brown base for drivers. I was using those on my darkvoice 336se. I have the La figaro 339i that I just ordered from Shenzhen.

I am pretty sure I need an adapter for my old tubes to work so I was wondering where I could get one as that seems to be the only issue now? The stock black tubes work. I only had the others in very briefly so it seems it went ok, although stupid.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #6,554 of 6,903
I have mullard 6080s as the power tube, and Tung Sol 6sn7GTB with the brown base for drivers. I was using those on my darkvoice 336se. I have the La figaro 339i that I just ordered from Shenzhen.

I am pretty sure I need an adapter for my old tubes to work so I was wondering where I could get one as that seems to be the only issue now? The stock black tubes work. I only had the others in very briefly so it seems it went ok, although stupid.

339 or 339i?

339i can only use 6sj7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back