La Figaro 339
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #6,481 of 6,903
Stunning pictures Galapac. No is the answer to your question because I am keeping the Mullard EF86 & Siemens EF80 and both EF80 to 6SJ7 and EF80 to 6SJ7 adapters because I will get another LF339i later. :L3000: :ksc75smile::gs1000smile::thinking::relaxed::rolling_eyes:
Great! Enjoy your journey with the Odyssey and Destiny!

@Yetiman72 - You can pick up EF86 or EF80 adapters for your 339i if you are interested in trying different tubes. Enjoy your amp1

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #6,482 of 6,903
Great! Enjoy your journey with the Odyssey and Destiny!

@Yetiman72 - You can pick up EF86 or EF80 adapters for your 339i if you are interested in trying different tubes. Enjoy your amp1

OD or DO are killing me slowly with ecstasy.

Where will Yetiman get his adapters? Best to wait for Yuking to make them again because they look gorgeous.

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #6,483 of 6,903
HI
I just bought a LaFigaro 339i amplifier newly.
I want to ask, what kind of modification are worth making inside for a better sound?
I found a picture of this, but I would appreciate more detailed help.

Thx Akos

Attachments

• La Figaro 339 tuning.jpg
    La Figaro 339 tuning.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #6,484 of 6,903
Not directly related to LF339i but since this is my main hp amp, I just want to share here.

TL;DR: MQA is a commercial success but not necessarily better than other sources. It is worse in objective measurement, but this is not the point because tube amp is objectively worse than other IC amps. Tidal charges the premium but other services like Qobuz is equivalently good if not better.

I used to think Tidal MQA was the best source if you don't have the FLAC files generated by yourselves. Big mistake! I just started to use Qobuz hi-res for a few days, and the experience was way consistent than the songs in Tidal MQA.

At least it is true for my Bendix + 6SJ7GT + LCD3, on the songs such as

-- Du pre's Elgar cello. I am more touched by the Qobuz than Tidal (particularly the lows).
-- Sutherland's Turandot. The high pitch is way more consistent in Qobuz.
-- Various organ music: clarity and layering. Less nuisance in some frequencies.

I can go on and on but I have ditched Tidal in all my devices.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,485 of 6,903
Good it went well. Seems like something simple like soldering, but would be good to know.
The amp is home and running👍

It was soldering and he sad he streghten it up at many places.

It sounds very good to me and always have but i hope it will be reliable to in the future.

Thanks for the tips!

Attachments

• 20210615_214805.jpg
    20210615_214805.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #6,486 of 6,903
It was soldering and he sad he streghten it up at many places.

It sounds very good to me and always have but i hope it will be reliable to in the future.
This is exactly what i have done as well. Seems factory soldering is not top quality.

No worries with reliability once soldering
is well done. Just enjoy music:)

Glad it ended happily:)

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #6,487 of 6,903
Hi guys, I decided to pick up a black 339i after reading through this thread, it arrived today but unfortunately when the volume reaches the halfway point it starts to hum on both channels getting louder as I turn up the volume, and the chassis gets really hot almost too hot to touch, it came with only stock tubes, is this normal?
Cheers Marty

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #6,488 of 6,903
Hi guys, I decided to pick up a black 339i after reading through this thread, it arrived today but unfortunately when the volume reaches the halfway point it starts to hum on both channels getting louder as I turn up the volume, and the chassis gets really hot almost too hot to touch, it came with only stock tubes, is this normal?
Cheers Marty
Sounds like the tubes need some burn in

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #6,490 of 6,903
Cheers Marty
339i gives me hum if I turn up the volume too much; I keep the volume at 9-10 o'clock and my DAC at -20 to -15dB.
Lately I have been using my 339i as a preamp out to both the 789 and my old school Meier-Corda Arietta! Cetron/Tung Sol 7236 power tubes + Mesh 6SJ7GT driver tubes = clean sound with just a hint of tube warmth.
I volume matched both solid state amps and keep the volume also less than halfway to avoid the hum from the tube amp. It is just too powerful of an amp - I think the hum is inherent.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #6,491 of 6,903
Yes I think you’re right, I was planning to have it turned up full and use the volume on my jolida dac, Then I tried it with my dragonfly and I only needed the volume up 1/4 to get decent volume into my he-500’s, great news 🙂 now I’ve ordered some new valves (Mullard 6080) and some yellow mullard mesh plates & ef86 adapter’s

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #6,492 of 6,903
Cheers Marty
The volume has nothing to do with fever. Buzzing checks the ground to determine whether it is external interference.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #6,494 of 6,903
Plenty of recommendations in the thread! :)

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #6,495 of 6,903
Hello everyone, have had the 339i for a bit now and have gotten used to the stock tubes; which to me sound good. Any recommendations for best tubes for this amp? I'm pairing them with a HD6XX for context.

It all depends on what You expect from the sound (what music You listen to and what type of sound You prefer). If You would like more warm sound RCA 6as7g are good for power tubes. Tung Sol 7236 and 5998 are the opposite only to name a few. For driver tubes even more possibilities. I really liked stock driver tubes but this is really subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back