La Figaro 339
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #5,596 of 6,903
I fortunately have my amp back from the amp doctor. Things has changed a bit and i sold my lcd 3f. I am experimenting with the below setup with Tung sol 5998 and Tung Sol 6sj7g. The sound is awesome. 3d sound and punching bass. It seems OTL could drive low ompedance headphones. Anyone has similar experience?

20201228_220552.jpg

Been using my La Figaro to drive my HE-500 for two years now, which are also lower impedance. There are numerous posts about this combo earlier in this thread. This amp was said to be one of the best to synergize with the HE-500.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #5,597 of 6,903
Received my Telefunken 6080. They are very special, they have a sound to themselves. Dynamic, transparent and very detailed are the first adjective that comes to mind. But I need to burn them more in, they are fresh tubes and decades long dormant before finally electrically waking up in the 339!
I will really try describe them later when I know them more.

Notice the left one is taller, and has black plates, while the right one is a little bit shorter and has grey plates. That is also why I don't want to describe them as they are maybe unmatched. Logically the black plates must have been manufactured earlier than the grey plates.

I will receive another black plate and another grey plates soon so I can use them by pairs.

I can tell for sure that I am very interested in hearing matched pairs in the next days.
I tried them with the smoked GEC L63 that are very linear and detailed themselves.

Oh and I wish you Happy new year everyone ! :darthsmile:

Cheers!

50776781036_0fc1dd54a3_k.jpg

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #5,598 of 6,903
Received my Telefunken 6080. They are very special, they have a sound to themselves. Dynamic, transparent and very detailed are the first adjective that comes to mind. But I need to burn them more in, they are fresh tubes and decades long dormant before finally electrically waking up in the 339!

Notice the left one is taller, and has black plates, while the right one is a little bit shorter and has grey plates. That is also why I don't want to describe them as they are maybe unmatched. Logically the black plates must have been manufactured earlier than the grey plates.

I will receive another black plate and another grey plates soon so I can use them by pairs.

I can tell for sure that I am very interested in hearing matched pairs in the next days.
I tried them with the smoked GEC L63 that are very linear and detailed themselves.

Cheers!

Nice picture! Are those GEC L63 interchangeable with 6sj7? Thought tung sol 6080 are warm and dark?

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #5,599 of 6,903
I have some problems with my 5998s. I have 3, and all have a similar phenomenon.

There is a buzz when I cold start the LF 339i. Mostly regular buzz but sometimes w/ random noise. To kill the buzz, I need to turn off the 339i, adjust the 5998s physically (just a little bit, like pulling it up or down), and turn on the amp. Then it is usually (95%) dead silent. If not, repeat till it is dead silent.

One thing I noticed that is that sometimes the 2nd time I turn on the amp, there might be 1-2 second of the buzz but then it can suddenly stop. The stop sometimes comes with 1 clear electric popping sound.

I actually leave the amp on for a few minutes and the buzz does not go away. I also tried to clean the pins (e.g., using brasso) but not helping.

Are my tubes dying?

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #5,600 of 6,903

Cheers!

Great pic and tubes! Your description of their sound matches the Telefunken house sound I know :) The grey glass L63 are beautiful tubes too, one of, if not my favourite drivers. I notice you have the volume knobs all the way to the max! I dont go past 9 o'clock on mine personally; are you running through preamp?

Nice picture! Are those GEC L63 interchangeable with 6sj7? Thought tung sol 6080 are warm and dark?
The L63 is not interchangeable with the 6SJ7, it is a different socket wiring. These are telefunken 6080 instead of Tung Sol, very rare German tubes! Granted, I wouldn't describe the Tung Sol 6080 as overly warm or dark, I think it is quite neutral actually with a nice treble presentation :)

I have some problems with my 5998s. I have 3, and all have a similar phenomenon.

There is a buzz when I cold start the LF 339i. Mostly regular buzz but sometimes w/ random noise. To kill the buzz, I need to turn off the 339i, adjust the 5998s physically (just a little bit, like pulling it up or down), and turn on the amp. Then it is usually (95%) dead silent. If not, repeat till it is dead silent.

One thing I noticed that is that sometimes the 2nd time I turn on the amp, there might be 1-2 second of the buzz but then it can suddenly stop. The stop sometimes comes with 1 clear electric popping sound.

I actually leave the amp on for a few minutes and the buzz does not go away. I also tried to clean the pins (e.g., using brasso) but not helping.

Are my tubes dying?
A slightly poor connection between pin and socket could possibly be causing this, since you say adjusting the tube physically stops the noise. How loose are the sockets/ how easily does the tube slot in? Some tube pins are inherently slightly different physical sizes/orientations that can cause a poor connection; I had a Mullard 6080 that wouldnt light unless I tilted it severely to the left, half the pins out of the socket. does this happen with any of your other tubes? It may be worth investing in some socket savers too :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #5,601 of 6,903
Great pic and tubes! Your description of their sound matches the Telefunken house sound I know :) The grey glass L63 are beautiful tubes too, one of, if not my favourite drivers. I notice you have the volume knobs all the way to the max! I dont go past 9 o'clock on mine personally; are you running through preamp?

The L63 is not interchangeable with the 6SJ7, it is a different socket wiring. These are telefunken 6080 instead of Tung Sol, very rare German tubes! Granted, I wouldn't describe the Tung Sol 6080 as overly warm or dark, I think it is quite neutral actually with a nice treble presentation :)

A slightly poor connection between pin and socket could possibly be causing this, since you say adjusting the tube physically stops the noise. How loose are the sockets/ how easily does the tube slot in? Some tube pins are inherently slightly different physical sizes/orientations that can cause a poor connection; I had a Mullard 6080 that wouldnt light unless I tilted it severely to the left, half the pins out of the socket. does this happen with any of your other tubes? It may be worth investing in some socket savers too :)

Thanks for the tip! Oh yeah, I just learned that, unlike 7308 (and other small tubes) where pins are directly connected inside the vacuum space, they are connected to the "base" where the pins we see are like the "extender / wrapper". So it is likely that the connection between the (actual) pins and the base are loose.

If so, not sure a socket saver will help in this case, but will definitely try!

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #5,602 of 6,903
It's a modified 339 to be compatible with 6J5 drivers.
And it's not Tung sol 6080, I never tried them actually!

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #5,603 of 6,903

Thanks! I run my 339 as a pure power amp. I have a preamp/DAC before it. When the power on the 339 is maxed, the volume knobs are zero resistance so have negligible influence on sound. Also The tube runs much better imho, with lower hum, lower issues if they might have them I found out.
Because my DAC/preamp is high class in its day, it has no audible noise floor, even when I max out the 339 volume.
I have with my remote access to bass and treble adjustments, and volume of course. It's the best setup I have tried for headphone listening sessions. Also I love the house sound of this English brand, I have a loudspeaker system as well, so that may be the reason why ^^

50732454748_507c372e66_k.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #5,606 of 6,903
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #5,607 of 6,903
And here it is my La Figaro with GEC 2293 dual power tubes with adjusters. Looks weird but sounds really nice with TS 6as7g mesh:wink:

20201231_000839.jpg

Love it and will try sometime very soon in the future.

btw, can anyone explain how the adapter works? e.g., connect pins to pins? making a parallel circuit? double the currents?

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #5,608 of 6,903
Dec 31, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #5,610 of 6,903
Wow, this one is king of adapters:wink:
Actually there are only 2 EF86 adapters, the others are socket savers since I tube roll a lot. The savers save your amp sockets from getting loose over time due to the pins coming in and out of the amp. I suggest everyone get a set that tube rolls. It looks like you have a set under your 2293 adapters. Did you do that because the adapter didn't sit right? I have a set of 2293 adapters but waiting on a set of tubes to arrive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back