La Figaro 339
May 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,812 of 6,903
Thanks for that write up and the confirmation! Your first review was the reason I got that tube amplifier in the first place.

A wine critic recently told me he cannot really enjoy his favourites anymore as he needs his sense of taste to try new wines.

I appreciate your dedication and the sacrifices - let's revisit this again in five years :)

May 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,815 of 6,903
Hello everyone.

What is your volume knob position when listening to HD800? Mine is around 2-3 o'clock and i'm wondering if rolling tubes change the gain.

On my setup 2-3 o'clock would blow my ear drums. I usually have mine set to between 7-9 o'clock, with the latter being plenty loud for most recordings. Currently listening to knob at 8 and would not desire it higher.

Some tubes have higher gain than others, but not by that much. I would check the output levels of your DAC and also ensure your settings of your source are set to maximum volume.

May 8, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,816 of 6,903
On my setup 2-3 o'clock would blow my ear drums. I usually have mine set to between 7-9 o'clock, with the latter being plenty loud for most recordings. Currently listening to knob at 8 and would not desire it higher.

Some tubes have higher gain than others, but not by that much. I would check the output levels of your DAC and also ensure your settings of your source are set to maximum volume.

Same. Have mine set around 8-9 o'clock position.

Putting it at 2-3 o'clock i fear i may never be able to hear again.

May 9, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,817 of 6,903

When i connect my Bimby which has 2V output volume is around 2-3 oclock with HD800. Last night i tried with my mojo in line level mode (3V) and volume was around 10 oclock.

Are these volume knob positions with HD800 or different cans?

May 10, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #3,818 of 6,903
When i connect my Bimby which has 2V output volume is around 2-3 oclock with HD800. Last night i tried with my mojo in line level mode (3V) and volume was around 10 oclock.

Are these volume knob positions with HD800 or different cans?

I don't have the HD800 on hand, but when I did, I had the volume pot well below 12 o'clock using Gumby as DAC. Currently am using Yggy as DAC, which (like the Gumby) shares the Bimby's 2V RMS from single-ended outputs.

Have you tried other tubes? What tubes have you tried? I wonder if yours are close to dead?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #3,822 of 6,903
Hello everyone, I hope you are well and 'still' enjoying your La Figaro 339. :)

I have a bit of upgrade to my setup since Feb. 2017. Gosh has it been that long since I had the 339? Anyway, I've since acquired Yggdrasil and HD800 to my setup.... and a couple of GECs, namely the 6as7g and 6080 brand new tubes.

I actually gave the 339 to my son but got it back for a few weeks because I wanted to hear how it sounds with the new additions. Yggy is a month old and have been left powered on always, so she's really burn in, as is HD800. By the way I tried HD800 and my modified HD650 with this setup and prefer the HD650.

This setup now sounds incredible and La Figaro 339 isn't going back to my son for a while. :ksc75smile: In fact, I'm thinking of getting a new black version. Will see. So many tube amps more to try but this amp is really good. Amazing value. I can't believe how little exposure this amp has in Head-Fi. This should be selling like hot cakes.

Tubes in use are Mullard EF86 and GEC 6as7g. Lovely sounding tubes, these pair. The best I've heard in LF339 and i've used quite a few, including Bendix 6080wb, Cetron 7236 and TS 5998 with RCA 5693 and these EF86.

Edit:- listening with HD800 now and it's quite incredible too. This setup now sounds organic and fatigue free. So comfortable and revealing the tone. It's amazing.

20170625_190120.jpg

20170625_190205.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,823 of 6,903
Hello everyone, I hope you are well and 'still' enjoying your La Figaro 339. :)

I have a bit of upgrade to my setup since Feb. 2017. Gosh has it been that long since I had the 339? Anyway, I've since acquired Yggdrasil and HD800 to my setup.... and a couple of GECs, namely the 6as7g and 6080 brand new tubes.

I actually gave the 339 to my son but got it back for a few weeks because I wanted to hear how it sounds with the new additions. Yggy is a month old and have been left powered on always, so she's really burn in, as is HD800. By the way I tried HD800 and my modified HD650 with this setup and prefer the HD650.

This setup now sounds incredible and La Figaro 339 isn't going back to my son for a while. :ksc75smile: In fact, I'm thinking of getting a new black version. Will see. So many tube amps more to try but this amp is really good. Amazing value. I can't believe how little exposure this amp has in Head-Fi. This should be selling like hot cakes.

Tubes in use are Mullard EF86 and GEC 6as7g. Lovely sounding tubes, these pair. The best I've heard in LF339 and i've used quite a few, including Bendix 6080wb, Cetron 7236 and TS 5998 with RCA 5693 and these EF86.

Looks great. What is the volume knob position with GEC 6as7g and HD800?

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #3,824 of 6,903
Looks great. What is the volume knob position with GEC 6as7g and HD800?

With both HD800 and HD650 and these tubes, my comfortable listening position is 7pm ... 6pm being minimum. Increasing it to 8pm is loud. I dare not turn it up to 9pm - ear damage will occur.

GEC 6as7g gain is similar to RCA 6as7g of which I bought a new pair too. The RCAs sounds really good too..... just not up to the GECs standard. If you don't compare you wouldn't know.... :smile_phones:

I've yet to roll the GEC 6080 in.

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #3,825 of 6,903
I would like to buy a pair of Tung Sol 6SJ7gt mesh plate but I cannot find any now. If anyone has a pair to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back