La Figaro 339
Mar 3, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #3,752 of 6,903
shows up as 730/750 for me on yuking09, depending on the input tubes selected. I bought my amp from ebay and had issues with shipping. I recommend buying directly from the company.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,757 of 6,903
i recommend you read the thread

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3,758 of 6,903
Hello,

Well beside. Triode vs pentade... I doesnt understand something

Well what version offer the lowest output impedance ?

The tube doesnt seems to be cheaper..

Is there any adapter between 6c5 to 6j4p ? Or it s impossible ?

Thx in advance

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #3,759 of 6,903
Well I received the 339 amp today. Just unpacked it and wanted to share my initial impressions with where I ordered from, shipping experience, and out of the box impressions. I bought the amp from shenzhenaudio.com, a Chinese audio retailer. I was considering buying directly from Yuking, but saw that shenzhen could ship for $100 less so I decided to take the risk. Overall it took 7 days for the package to reach Montana, US, coming all the way from China. I thought this was very acceptable. Also, the packaging was very well protected, they used a meticulously wrapped styrofoam outer layer over the box, with reinforced thick foam padding inside the box. All parts were in excellent shape, no shipping damage due to very good packaging. I researched the seller before I bought and found one person who disliked their experience, so it made me a little wary but after judging my own personal experience, the seller was top-notch. Prompt and respectful communication, even though I was e-mailing someone in China they spoke competent English, were polite, and punctual to return my messages. I spoke specifically with someone named Kerwin, I'd highly recommend purchasing from them if you are considering this amp, it was a very smooth experience and I saved $100 in shipping.

Speaking of saving $100 in shipping costs, I'm surprised I was able to do this, because this amp is HUGE. I mean, the pictures don't do it justice, it is 50% bigger than I was imagining it on my desktop. It is heavy too, but I was more prepared for the weight than I was the pure size. It is making me consider storing it in an alternate spot as it takes up a lot of desk real estate which I have in limited supply. It does look sexy though, the brushed silver aluminum finish has no flaws, I inspected it over thoroughly and there are no defects in its finish, quality construction is there.

So...I have yet to plug the thing in and hear it lol. There is ZERO documentation so I'm trying to figure out what I need in the chain to connect it too my computer, I'm researching this thread to find out other's source/cable/dac recommendations but I'm just figuring this out as I go along. Hell, I don't even know what type of cables I need to connect this to a source. I don't know the type of headphone input in the front either, I think it's 1/4" stereo but I can't tell it looks a little different lol. I wish I wasn't such a audio noob. Excited to be on this journey though!

Will post more updates as I make progress on getting this thing set up :)

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,760 of 6,903
Well I received the 339 amp today. Just unpacked it and wanted to share my initial impressions with where I ordered from, shipping experience, and out of the box impressions. I bought the amp from shenzhenaudio.com, a Chinese audio retailer. I was considering buying directly from Yuking, but saw that shenzhen could ship for $100 less so I decided to take the risk. Overall it took 7 days for the package to reach Montana, US, coming all the way from China. I thought this was very acceptable. Also, the packaging was very well protected, they used a meticulously wrapped styrofoam outer layer over the box, with reinforced thick foam padding inside the box. All parts were in excellent shape, no shipping damage due to very good packaging. I researched the seller before I bought and found one person who disliked their experience, so it made me a little wary but after judging my own personal experience, the seller was top-notch. Prompt and respectful communication, even though I was e-mailing someone in China they spoke competent English, were polite, and punctual to return my messages. I spoke specifically with someone named Kerwin, I'd highly recommend purchasing from them if you are considering this amp, it was a very smooth experience and I saved $100 in shipping.

Speaking of saving $100 in shipping costs, I'm surprised I was able to do this, because this amp is HUGE. I mean, the pictures don't do it justice, it is 50% bigger than I was imagining it on my desktop. It is heavy too, but I was more prepared for the weight than I was the pure size. It is making me consider storing it in an alternate spot as it takes up a lot of desk real estate which I have in limited supply. It does look sexy though, the brushed silver aluminum finish has no flaws, I inspected it over thoroughly and there are no defects in its finish, quality construction is there.

So...I have yet to plug the thing in and hear it lol. There is ZERO documentation so I'm trying to figure out what I need in the chain to connect it too my computer, I'm researching this thread to find out other's source/cable/dac recommendations but I'm just figuring this out as I go along. Hell, I don't even know what type of cables I need to connect this to a source. I don't know the type of headphone input in the front either, I think it's 1/4" stereo but I can't tell it looks a little different lol. I wish I wasn't such a audio noob. Excited to be on this journey though!

Will post more updates as I make progress on getting this thing set up :)

That is good news you have received the amp without any apparent physical blemishes and will likely be helpful information for others. That is also a very long distance. If in your position, I would feel anxious to listen to it. Certainly that should be tested ASAP.

As far as connections, I am afraid you will encounter no little amount of debate. Of course, you will indisputably need RCA interconnect cables. I use relatively inexpensive ones. These are connected to the output of an external DAC (mine is Schiit Audio Yggdrasil and was for a long time less expensive ones).The DAC receives a signal from my PC by means of AES, which is the strongest input on my DAC. However, most people use a USB cable to output a signal from their conputer to the DAC, as I did also for several years (this is usually the most convenient yet noisiest and least pleasant option). Some use CD transports and vinyl rigs as well. I sometimes use CD, but my transport is a piece of junk. Prior to my current Lynx sound interface, I used a Sonore microRendu as a source, which was very good but which did not allow for a direct AES signal.

I am assuming you already knew/own some of the above. You will probably need to spend some more, but you can easily keep costs down and still get really good sound. Another excellent Chinese company is audio-gd, which is competitive price and value wise with the likes of Schiit. If you have absolutely nothing, I would suggest starting slow, as diminishing returns kick in quite fast in this hobby.

As for tubes, a lot of information already exists on this thread and on the 6AS7G thread.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #3,761 of 6,903
Liu, once again thanks for the insight! This is a really dumb question but why does the front headphone out have 3 slits in it? It looks like a 1/4" jack but slightly different. Was trying to read through this thread and google but haven't seen anyone mention it yet, maybe it's so obvious to most. Wish there was a manual so I wouldn't have to prostrate myself before the audiophiles here with my mundane questions lol. 

I don't have a DAC yet and was just hoping to play it directly from my computer initially.  I'm assuming I can plug an RCA to 1/8" stereo cable from the back of the amp to my headphone input on the PC? Probably going to pick up a lot of interference and substandard sound from the PC source without a DAC but at this point I just want to test this thing out and need to figure out the right cable to buy. What do you think of the Yggdrassil? Seems to be the end game for most when it comes to DACs. I was thinking the Gungnir MB to save money but have no base to compare to. I know you've tried a number of DAC's, would love to hear your thought on overall preference. You and others have provided a ton of info on tubes and favorite tube combinations, I'm compiling a list of those, not sure what tubes would pair best with classical music which is my favorite but I'm still working my way through the thread so hopefully someone has commented on that.

Do you watch movies through your computer while listening through your amp, or just strictly music? I use my computer for multiple forms of digital entertainment so was curious if the amp performs well with other media using sound? Hope your week is treating you well!

-Matt

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,762 of 6,903
Liu, once again thanks for the insight! This is a really dumb question but why does the front headphone out have 3 slits in it? It looks like a 1/4" jack but slightly different. Was trying to read through this thread and google but haven't seen anyone mention it yet, maybe it's so obvious to most. Wish there was a manual so I wouldn't have to prostrate myself before the audiophiles here with my mundane questions lol. 

I don't have a DAC yet and was just hoping to play it directly from my computer initially.  I'm assuming I can plug an RCA to 1/8" stereo cable from the back of the amp to my headphone input on the PC? Probably going to pick up a lot of interference and substandard sound from the PC source without a DAC but at this point I just want to test this thing out and need to figure out the right cable to buy. What do you think of the Yggdrassil? Seems to be the end game for most when it comes to DACs. I was thinking the Gungnir MB to save money but have no base to compare to. I know you've tried a number of DAC's, would love to hear your thought on overall preference. You and others have provided a ton of info on tubes and favorite tube combinations, I'm compiling a list of those, not sure what tubes would pair best with classical music which is my favorite but I'm still working my way through the thread so hopefully someone has commented on that.

Do you watch movies through your computer while listening through your amp, or just strictly music? I use my computer for multiple forms of digital entertainment so was curious if the amp performs well with other media using sound? Hope your week is treating you well!

-Matt

Matt,

Feel free to ask.

That is a 1/4 inch headphone jack.

As for your idea of outputing a signal from the headphone jack on your computer, I suppose it might allow you to test to see if it works. In that case, you could equally output a signal from your phone. But that would be double-amping, which would result in lower fidelity and distorted sound. You will want to find another source. The Gungnir MB is very good. From Schiit's lineup, you could also opt for the entry-level Modi MB, which would be far better than where I began. Obviously Gungnir MB is much better, and as far as DACs are concerned, could very well be end-game for a headphone setup. Other ones to look at would be NAD M51, possibly audio-gd's newest singularly 19, Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Meier Daccord, or I guess a Chord DAC. Too many options really. Or if you have a CD player, that would work for testing purposes as well.

I do not watch many movies on my PC, mainly music and some games occasionally. The HD800, which I sold, were amazing for movie watching (and games). As tubes (and capacitors) have a finite life, I prefer to save my tube amps for music only. I do have a little solid state amp for other applications.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,765 of 6,903
I'll get the easy question out of the way first. :wink:

DV336se can performed pretty well. Let's just forget about the price for a moment. I gave it the best tubes possible. Tung Sol 6SN7gt mouse ears and Bendix 6080wb. I thought it sounded very good.

However as soon as I switch over to La Figaro 339, the difference is great. 339 just sizzles with it's impact. Clarity, details, energy, soundstage and attack. It's just way ahead of DV336se. I just don't feel like going back to DV336se after that. :bigsmile_face:  

My 2 favourite tube combinations on LF339 are:-

Siemens EF80 and Bendix 6080wb
RCA 5693 and Tung Sol 5998

I can't decide which I like better. They are both very good.

I missed this post. I highly appreciate it.
I have always been curious about the comparison with the 336, whether, for instance, the 339 was just a super 336 (or just one per each channel).

The amp never ceases to amaze me. I had an outstanding listening session last night using the HD600, driven by RCA 6AS7G/Telefunken EF86 drivers. I agree on the Bendix and 5998. I am stupid for selling my Chathams, but another owner here is able to use them, so that takes off some of the sting. I have yet to hear the EF80. RCA 5693 is very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back