La Figaro 339
Feb 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,736 of 6,903

Thanks O. Both 6C5 and 6J5G works in that version of 339. As I couldn't the wording I thought it's the 6C5. 

It isn't that tube amps are in general less popular. There's a resurgent interest in tube amps and it's steadily growing. It's more the fact that LF339 is made in China and not getting enough exposure. Nevertheless for those who have tried it, you'll find their glowing reviews. 
smile_phones.gif

I'm pretty confident that solid state dominates, but that doesn't mean a significant number of people still enjoy tube amps. And yes, I agree, I have noticed a resurgence in interest in tubes as of late after a previous wave of interest had crested. I think the fact that SS is so darn easy will almost always keep it in the dominant spot, but who knows? I for one love both SS and valves. Yes, the made in China may be partially to blame (although that is ridiculous). Too bad, the 339 is amazing.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,737 of 6,903
@UntilThen

When did you get the 339? I am glad you seem to be enjoying it. What headphones are you enjoying out of it most? I know you are a T1 fan, which I have never tried. I did enjoy the DT880 from the 339 when I had it. Also, since you have access to so many delectable tubes, it would be interesting to read about your favorite pairings. Depending on the mood and music, I have a lot of favorite combos, with the Bendix 6080WB/Tung-Sol 6S7J7T (mesh-plates) probably being at the top of what I have heard. I have not tried the EF80 variant of tubes yet, since I went with the EF86 adapters sold by Yuking instead. Finally, once you have more time with the 339, I would be interested in seeing how it compares to the Elise. The 339 very much has its own sound signature that makes it hold a unique place in my small collection of amps. 

@jono454

As aforementioned, your Chatham 2399 are synonymous with the Tung-sol 5998. Those are, in fact, a very nice pair of tubes I sold to Sonic Defender. I still regret having to sell them at the time, as they were tied for my second favorite power tube. Certainly, the dynamics and bass slam have been unmatched by any other tube I have heard on this amp. It is good to see they are still getting use! 

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3,738 of 6,903

@jono454

As aforementioned, your Chatham 2399 are synonymous with the Tung-sol 5998. Those are, in fact, a very nice pair of tubes I sold to Sonic Defender. I still regret having to sell them at the time, as they were tied for my second favorite power tube. Certainly, the dynamics and bass slam have been unmatched by any other tube I have heard on this amp. It is good to see they are still getting use! 

Agreed they sound absolutely wonderful =D.

Was hoping to find another set as a spare just in case anything should happen to the Chatham 2399's.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,739 of 6,903
  @UntilThen

When did you get the 339? I am glad you seem to be enjoying it. What headphones are you enjoying out of it most? I know you are a T1 fan, which I have never tried. I did enjoy the DT880 from the 339 when I had it. Also, since you have access to so many delectable tubes, it would be interesting to read about your favorite pairings. Depending on the mood and music, I have a lot of favorite combos, with the Bendix 6080WB/Tung-Sol 6S7J7T (mesh-plates) probably being at the top of what I have heard. I have not tried the EF80 variant of tubes yet, since I went with the EF86 adapters sold by Yuking instead. Finally, once you have more time with the 339, I would be interested in seeing how it compares to the Elise. The 339 very much has its own sound signature that makes it hold a unique place in my small collection of amps. 

Hi LJ,

Fancy finally getting my hands on a 339, especially when I had a hard time debating between it and Elise at the time of purchase back in Oct 2015. Well it was you who steered me towards Elise. 

A sale came up in the aussie forum. The price was too good to pass up on, even though I have already ordered Euforia and it's coming at the end of the month. The seller bought the 339 from Yuking about 4 years ago. It is in good condition and works without a hitch. I was given a choice of drivers and so I chose the Siemens EF80 with Yuking's nice adapters. Additionally I bought the RCA 5693 from the seller. I also believe this to be the version before the 2013 upgrade because I can see a bit of the 2 yellow parts through the top ventilation holes.

I only had the 339 for 4 days so I'll take my time listening to it before making any comparisons with Elise. 
wink.gif

This amp surprised me in that for all I read about it being warm and lush, it ain't particularly that. There's really good rhythm and pace. You can certainly get a more neutral and brighter tone with some tubes. Another surprise is that it pairs very well with 'mediocre power tubes', such as GE 6AS7GA and Svetlana 6H13C. Even RCA 6080 sounds good on it. 

My favourite at this point in time is the Siemens EF80 with Bendix 6080wb. Also like 5998 with it as power tubes but more so the Bendix.

To my utter surprise, I'm enjoying my modded HD650 with 339 and the above tubes combination. I even prefer the Senns to my T1 for this pairing. Simply put, I've never heard the modded HD650 sounded so good before. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Alright let me listen for a much longer time.

Cheers.

Ps... I would like to get my hands on the RCA 6SJ7GT mesh plates. Do you have a spare pair to sell? 

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,740 of 6,903
Might be premature to say that I prefer the HD650 over T1. 

In the last hour, my T1 is hitting all the right notes with 339 and EF80 with Bendix 6080wb. I like the tightness of tone and crystalline clarity. Both headphones are very enjoyable. T1 has a leaner tone and much more revealing. Wider soundstage definitely. Bass is taut and tight on the T1. I like it.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,741 of 6,903

Hi LJ,

Fancy finally getting my hands on a 339, especially when I had a hard time debating between it and Elise at the time of purchase back in Oct 2015. Well it was you who steered me towards Elise. 

A sale came up in the aussie forum. The price was too good to pass up on, even though I have already ordered Euforia and it's coming at the end of the month. The seller bought the 339 from Yuking about 4 years ago. It is in good condition and works without a hitch. I was given a choice of drivers and so I chose the Siemens EF80 with Yuking's nice adapters. Additionally I bought the RCA 5693 from the seller. I also believe this to be the version before the 2013 upgrade because I can see a bit of the 2 yellow parts through the top ventilation holes.

I only had the 339 for 4 days so I'll take my time listening to it before making any comparisons with Elise. 
wink.gif

This amp surprised me in that for all I read about it being warm and lush, it ain't particularly that. There's really good rhythm and pace. You can certainly get a more neutral and brighter tone with some tubes. Another surprise is that it pairs very well with 'mediocre power tubes', such as GE 6AS7GA and Svetlana 6H13C. Even RCA 6080 sounds good on it. 

My favourite at this point in time is the Siemens EF80 with Bendix 6080wb. Also like 5998 with it as power tubes but more so the Bendix.

To my utter surprise, I'm enjoying my modded HD650 with 339 and the above tubes combination. I even prefer the Senns to my T1 for this pairing. Simply put, I've never heard the modded HD650 sounded so good before. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Alright let me listen for a much longer time.

Cheers.

Ps... I would like to get my hands on the RCA 6SJ7GT mesh plates. Do you have a spare pair to sell? 

I agree on your decision to wait before making a full evaluation. The very first day I received the 339, I was struck by how powerful and punchy it could be, so I understand what you mean. 

Yes, in fact, when I typed my post to you, I was running GE 6AS7GA, which sounds fantastic with the HD650--they lend a very nice neutral and snappy character to the amp. Now, I am running with the 6H13C, and that was before I saw your post. My drivers atm are the Telefunken EF86 silver plates. I have always struggled to come up with the words for how these drivers sound, but they can best be described as lending a fullness and weighty dynamic punch, particularly in the mid-bass, to the Sennheisers. There is relative density and solidity to their impact, as compared with the more airy and delicate presentation from a mesh plate. 

I am eager to hear your impressions of the Euforia.

In fact, I should have asked, since I have always wanted to know, what does the 339 sound like compared to the Dark Voice 336? 

Edit: here is an example of the drivers I am using with the Svetlanas. These have the diamond bottoms and were not exactly cheap, a bit more expensive than what this one is selling for. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-EF86-TELEFUNKEN-audio-tubes-NOS-EF-86-/282359526912?hash=item41bdf07600:g:RD0AAOSwImRYefEf

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,742 of 6,903

In fact, I should have asked, since I have always wanted to know, what does the 339 sound like compared to the Dark Voice 336? 

I'll get the easy question out of the way first. 
wink.gif

DV336se can performed pretty well. Let's just forget about the price for a moment. I gave it the best tubes possible. Tung Sol 6SN7gt mouse ears and Bendix 6080wb. I thought it sounded very good.

However as soon as I switch over to La Figaro 339, the difference is great. 339 just sizzles with it's impact. Clarity, details, energy, soundstage and attack. It's just way ahead of DV336se. I just don't feel like going back to DV336se after that. 
bigsmile_face.gif

My 2 favourite tube combinations on LF339 are:-

Siemens EF80 and Bendix 6080wb
RCA 5693 and Tung Sol 5998

I can't decide which I like better. They are both very good.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #3,744 of 6,903

I'll get the easy question out of the way first. 
wink.gif

DV336se can performed pretty well. Let's just forget about the price for a moment. I gave it the best tubes possible. Tung Sol 6SN7gt mouse ears and Bendix 6080wb. I thought it sounded very good.

However as soon as I switch over to La Figaro 339, the difference is great. 339 just sizzles with it's impact. Clarity, details, energy, soundstage and attack. It's just way ahead of DV336se. I just don't feel like going back to DV336se after that. 
bigsmile_face.gif

My 2 favourite tube combinations on LF339 are:-

Siemens EF80 and Bendix 6080wb
RCA 5693 and Tung Sol 5998

I can't decide which I like better. They are both very good.

Found these on eBay, are they similar to what you have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Matched-Pair-RCA-USA-5693-Hi-Fi-6SJ7-Metal-Vacuum-Tubes-100-/122358504246?hash=item1c7d229b36:g:FPgAAOSwcLxYLzOU 

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,745 of 6,903
  Found these on eBay, are they similar to what you have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Matched-Pair-RCA-USA-5693-Hi-Fi-6SJ7-Metal-Vacuum-Tubes-100-/122358504246?hash=item1c7d229b36:g:FPgAAOSwcLxYLzOU 

Those are the 5693 and are great

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,747 of 6,903
Matt,

I just saw this now. I am listening to the 339 paired with the Holo Audio Spring DAC I am loaning as I type this, using Focal Utopia as headphone. This is a very beautiful pairing and rivals that of the Zana Deux, which is more than twice the price. I hope you can enjoy this amp as much as I continue to do. It is so unique that it would be irreplaceable for me.

The Gungnir Multibit/339 pairing is outstanding. I would personally recommend modding your HD650 eventually but there is no rush. Either that, or try to trial an HD600, which I have just now finally acquired for use with the 339/ZDS.

Do not make the stupid mistake of buying too many tubes (unless you have money to burn). I would suggest going slowly, reading through the vast treasure of wisdom saved on this thread and the relevant tube rolling threads in order to target specific tubes. The only tubes at this point I would like to try that I have not tried would be Mullard 6080 or GEC 6AS7G/6080. But I honestly do not care to spend any more than I already have. You can enjoy this amp without spending too much. But you will want to replace the stock drivers ASAP.

Thank you for the advice Liu, and sorry for my late response! I ordered the amp over a month ago from Shenzhenaudio and they told me that they were notified that La Figaro company was on holiday until February 13th, and wouldn't be able to build the amp until then. They asked if I still wanted to place my order and just wait, or try to order again after the 13th. I had to dial down my excitement and kind of forget about the 339 since it seemed like so long of a wait, but I did place my order anyway since I've decided it's the amp I want :)

Anyway, I just got an email today from the seller that they shipped my amp with its tracking number, so I'm getting excited again. I was checking out the vaunted Tungsol 5998s and RCA 5693s on ebay. Not much offerings and the ones that are available are very expensive so I came back to the forum to recheck other suggested pairings. Sounds like I need to replace stock ASAP. I know you've offered a bunch of pairings you liked as have others, just got to dig back a bit and find those posts haha!  Thanks so much for sharing your favorite tube pairings at least I feel I have options that won't break the bank. I'll re-read through your posts and others for favorite tube pairings, the Bendix sounds compelling, haven't checked their price though :)

I didn't pull the trigger on the Gungnir MB, I'm really close but had an expense on the house to deal with so I'm holding off. Maybe I should research the HoloAudio Spring DAC as well, but I'm pretty unclear with how DACs even work, I've got a computer science degree but the audiospeak of DAC technology is over my head currently. I'm a newb to all this audiophile stuff, really I have no personal comparisons to quality, I'm going off the compelling arguments by everyone on headfi and headfonia reviews but I feel like everyone here is very passionate about their choice with the Figaro 339 and that says a lot. I'll keep reading your posts and learning as much as I can. Now that I know the 339 is on its way I'll be tenaciously lurking on this thread lol.

Have a great evening!

-Matt

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3,750 of 6,903
Hi, yes the LF339 is a good high-end amp, get it from www.yuking09.com/product/la-figaro-339/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back