La Figaro 339
Dec 17, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #3,721 of 6,903
Hi guys, I bought of my 339 a couple of years ago.

I think my right volume is a bit dirty hence I'd be sending it for servicing with my local technician.

Since my amp is the older generation , can anyone advise me on how to "update" it to be more reliable and maybe also which parts can be updated to enhance the sound.
Values of the component and location of it so that I can tell my technician would be good.

Appreciate your assistance.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3,722 of 6,903
First off, I wanted to thank all the members who contributed their knowledge and experience on this Figaro 339 thread, ie adeadcrab, UltraInferno and especially Liu Junyan, such amazing info you all have really helped me on my journey to assemble a fantastic headphone system. I'm a new member and audiophile newbie but have been lurking on head-fi over the last 2 months. I've been researching heavily on putting together a great headphone/amp/DAC and it is this thread that has solidified my decision. I have not made any purchases yet but have come to the conclusion of purchasing the Senn HD650 headphones, with the Figaro 339 amp and Gungnir MB DAC. I've been reading these threads for close to a hundred hours about others insight and experience, this is a combination that I feel confident will deliver an amazing experience and won't destroy my savings account :D

I'm still reading through this thread and others to educate myself better, and I still have to learn more about tube rolling (but I have seen great recommendations in this thread). I was thinking of going with Svetlanas for cheap as I get started, and be diligent for good deals on ebay for better tubes. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and happy to be a part of the community!

-Matt

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #3,723 of 6,903
enjoy

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,725 of 6,903
Matt,

I just saw this now. I am listening to the 339 paired with the Holo Audio Spring DAC I am loaning as I type this, using Focal Utopia as headphone. This is a very beautiful pairing and rivals that of the Zana Deux, which is more than twice the price. I hope you can enjoy this amp as much as I continue to do. It is so unique that it would be irreplaceable for me.

The Gungnir Multibit/339 pairing is outstanding. I would personally recommend modding your HD650 eventually but there is no rush. Either that, or try to trial an HD600, which I have just now finally acquired for use with the 339/ZDS.

Do not make the stupid mistake of buying too many tubes (unless you have money to burn). I would suggest going slowly, reading through the vast treasure of wisdom saved on this thread and the relevant tube rolling threads in order to target specific tubes. The only tubes at this point I would like to try that I have not tried would be Mullard 6080 or GEC 6AS7G/6080. But I honestly do not care to spend any more than I already have. You can enjoy this amp without spending too much. But you will want to replace the stock drivers ASAP.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,726 of 6,903
This thread is so quiet now.
tongue.gif
  I'll share a photo. This amp sounds really good with these tubes on a modded HD650.

Siemens EF80 and Bendix 6080wb

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #3,727 of 6,903
Am now the owner of Sonic Defender's La Figaro 339 =D

Very happy with how it pairs with my HD800's.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,729 of 6,903

Nice. What drivers are those?

Here's a top view running EF80 and Tung Sol 5998.

RCA Radiotron and JAN 6080. 

So far my favourite combination has been the RCA Radiotron and Chatham 2399. Also have the Mullard's i've yet to try...saving the best for last =)
Very much new to tube rolling but enjoying every bit of it! 

Any suggestions on where i might find a pair of Tung Sol 5998 ?

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #3,730 of 6,903

RCA Radiotron and JAN 6080. 

So far my favourite combination has been the RCA Radiotron and Chatham 2399. Also have the Mullard's i've yet to try...saving the best for last =)
Very much new to tube rolling but enjoying every bit of it! 

Any suggestions on where i might find a pair of Tung Sol 5998 ?

You don't need the Tung Sol 5998. Your Chatham 2399 is the same.

I know your JAN 6080 is RCA but what tube is the RCA Radiotron? 

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3,731 of 6,903

You don't need the Tung Sol 5998. Your Chatham 2399 is the same.

I know your JAN 6080 is RCA but what tube is the RCA Radiotron? 

I sold Jon my 339. The RCA Radiotrons are driver tubes, and very nice. I told the story before, but I met an older gentleman who was a ham radio buff. He knew so much about tubes. He had even bought out a decommissioned radar installation full of military tubes and tube testing gear that NATO would use. Anyway, he used this insane tube tester that could test absolutely every single aspect of a tubes performance to military reliability specifications and matched me a perfect set of Radiotron tubes and now Jon has them. I miss the 339, but I didn't have any high Z headphones left and I hated to see it and those nice tubes just go to waste so I sold it. Glad it is being enjoyed as it deserves it. Plus it is only 4 hours away from me so nice to know it isn't far from home.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #3,732 of 6,903
Thanks Sonic. That must be the RCA Radiotron 6C5G. The warmer version of 339 as offered on the yuking site.

I won't be able to use that as I have the version of 339 that uses 6sj7. I do like both the RCA 5693 and EF80 with adapters as drivers.

You would no doubt miss the 339. It's great sounding. I have amass quite a lot of power tubes from tube rolling on Elise and these comes in handy now on 339.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #3,734 of 6,903
  Thanks Sonic. That must be the RCA Radiotron 6C5G. The warmer version of 339 as offered on the yuking site.

I won't be able to use that as I have the version of 339 that uses 6sj7. I do like both the RCA 5693 and EF80 with adapters as drivers.

You would no doubt miss the 339. It's great sounding. I have amass quite a lot of power tubes from tube rolling on Elise and these comes in handy now on 339.

Yes, it is indeed the 6C5G variant of the 339. I absolutely do miss the 339 believe me, it really has a fantastic sound signature. It is always surprising to me that the 339 doesn't have more of a following here. I suspect tube amps are in general less popular, which is surprising, but even so I still would think the 339 would command more attention. Oh well, for those who try it there seems little doubt about how much they enjoy it so it will just be a small club! 

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,735 of 6,903
I think I can see VT-94 in the photo, so should be 6J5G.

Thanks O. Both 6C5 and 6J5G works in that version of 339. As I couldn't the wording I thought it's the 6C5. 

Yes, it is indeed the 6C5G variant of the 339. I absolutely do miss the 339 believe me, it really has a fantastic sound signature. It is always surprising to me that the 339 doesn't have more of a following here. I suspect tube amps are in general less popular, which is surprising, but even so I still would think the 339 would command more attention. Oh well, for those who try it there seems little doubt about how much they enjoy it so it will just be a small club! 

It isn't that tube amps are in general less popular. There's a resurgent interest in tube amps and it's steadily growing. It's more the fact that LF339 is made in China and not getting enough exposure. Nevertheless for those who have tried it, you'll find their glowing reviews. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back