La Figaro 339
May 9, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #3,331 of 6,903
Just an update: I did it. It was actually an easy job, as Yuking said, but it required a lot of learning on my part that will turn out helpful in the end, I think. The biggest setback was that the capacitors were not draining despite the amp being turned off and unplugged for several days, so I got shocked a couple times, and there were some big sparks. This required more research as to the reasons why and how to solve it. 

But I am very happy to say it's fixed and sounds just like new. This amp sure is special. Have RCA 6AS7G and Tungsol 6J7 mesh-plates in now, driving modded HD650s--such a rich, seductive tone with a beautiful decay. Zana Deux Super ships out this week so should be interesting to compare the two. What's certain is that I freaking love this amp. Oh, and I grabbed a pair of Bendix 6080 for $77 
ph34r.gif

Happy listening!

May 11, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #3,332 of 6,903
Has anyone compared the valhalla2 with the 339.
Headphone hd650 and hd800s.
I use these with my burson amp but I'm thinking of getting into tube amps.

Schiit is known for value for money items and in terms of power both supply more than 800mW. Is the 339 worth the premium over the schiit.

May 11, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #3,333 of 6,903

Schiit is known for value for money items and in terms of power both supply more than 800mW. Is the 339 worth the premium over the schiit.

May 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #3,334 of 6,903
I had both for a time. I preferred the 339 and returned the Valhalla 2, even though I originally thought I would keep both for their contrasting signature. The Valhalla 2 is certainly an amazing value and pairs quite well with HD800 without compromising too many of its strengths. The Valhalla 2 is very neutral for an OTL, and because it has a very low output impedance, it sounds faster than than the 339. The 339 is unapologetically lush and wetter than the Val2, which I thought could be too dry for my tastes. As a consequence of its higher output impedance, the 339 affords more bass. Plus, I found with a cheap tube combination, I could satisfactorily approximate the Valhalla 2's neutrality while retaining that addictive lushness and decay I love so much in the 339. Both are outstanding amps, but the 339 is more special to me.

More to add the later...

May 12, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #3,335 of 6,903
The output impedance is not necessarily what gives the 339 more bass. It's the massive capacitance / capacitors under the hood.

May 12, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #3,336 of 6,903
Perhaps both. Forgot to add that the 339 works well with low impedance headphones. If you're talking about your Grados, yeah, you're right. But when you're talking about high impedance headphones (Sennheisers, Beyers), the high output Z interacts with the high impedance loads across the FR of the headphones to convey moooaaaar bass. The Valhalla 2, by contrast, aims for speed at the expense of bigger punch that the 339 achieves easily with high impedance headphones, but which can come across as being slightly slower sounding.

Agree that the caps are nice and big which is why I was probably shocked long after the amp was turned off.

May 16, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,343 of 6,903

Some more thoughts on the two...

1. Valhalla 2 is more impervious to tube rolling
    1. the stock tubes are excellent and aftermarket tubes make a marginal difference.
  2. Whereas the Valhalla 2 is more spacious, the 339 is more intimate. This is one key reason why the HD800 pairs well with the Valhalla 2. 
  3. Both are equally resolving. This says a lot for the Valhalla 2, which is half the price. For higher resolution within the Schiit line, consider the Mjolnir 2.
  4. 339 has much much much more range of tonality--not even close. The Valhalla 2 is pretty much monochromatic neutral.
  5. The 339 changes character more drastically with different tubes. However, it will always retain a certain lush and intimate signature.
    1. The beauty of the 339 is that you don't need to go full retard by purchasing a million tube combinations to be satisfied. There are certain well-tried sets that seem to work the best. See this thread for more details. The Bendix 6080 and Amperex EF 86 Mesh Plates I am listening to now is incredibly smooth relaxing; the Chatham 2399/Tungson 5998 with any driver tube is more punchy and forward. The RCA 6AS7G plus Tungsol/RCA 6JS7 or Telefunken EF86 is perfect for me lately, though the Bendix is interchangeable with the RCA power. The GE 6AS7GA works well for me with the HD650, sounding slightly more neutral. This is the tube that made me sell the Valhalla 2, as its neutrality become redundant and didn't do much better than the 339.
  6.  The 339 is a more risky purchase. You are buying a Chinese product from someone who primarily speaks Chinese. Your warranty is one year, but this is tentative. When I had to fix my amp, I was sent links on how to solder and was implicitly told to fix it myself. Understandable given the vast distance to cover and the realistically minor nature of my amp's problem.
  7. The Valhalla 2 comes with a five year warranty, by contrast.
  8. The 339's dual mono configuration allows for double volume knobs. I LOVE THIS FEATURE. It allows for you to purchase tubes that are not perfectly matched. Moreover, I had an ear infection where one ear wasn't up to speed with the other. This is the only amp that made me able to enjoy the sound without blowing out my other ear. Seriously, this level of control is addicting. 
  9. The 339 looks better. While I appreciate Schiit's aesthetic very very much, the 339 is the most beautiful amp I've ever owned. I love the wide and symmetrical chassis. You have no idea how many times I've taken pictures of this amp for absolutely zero reason whatsoever and haven't sent it to anyone. I still look at it all the time. 
  10. Both are well built, but the 339 is heavier, has a bigger power supply, has bigger caps, and has point-to-point wiring. I think Schiit did everything they could to maximize performance for cost, though, and there is nothing wrong with the build on the Valhalla 2 for 350 dollars.
  11. The Valhalla 2 lacks dynamics and punch. The 339, certainly, changes character depending on tubes, but is more capable of being punchy and rendering dynamics more widely. The Valhalla 2 will always seem like it's floating and soft. 
Both are fantastic amps. If your sole headphone is the HD800, I would actually go with the V2, as it compromises less of its strengths. But if you're driving other headphones, the 339 is more versatile. For me, the 339 is much better than the V2.

We will see how I take to the 339 after I receive the ZDS. The interesting thing about the ZDS is that it's supposed to be, like the Valhalla 2, a relatively neutral and resolving OTL. This is why I suspect I'll still have a place for the 339 in setup. I've had people who own ZD's ask me about lush amps to complement their ZDs, and they have considered more expensive options. However, I think I'll be set with the 339. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back