La Figaro 339
Aug 20, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,166 of 6,903

Sorry I just saw your post. It got lost in all the pictures. :D

Sort of a slight harshness on the edge of the music notes.... I think it might have just been playing music before the tubes warm up actually. I now warm them up for 15 mins beforehand.

Just trying out G&E L63 and Thomson 6080WA. Seems to sound a bit darker. Need to listen more though.

I haven't got my DAC yet either, so I'm a little hesitant to draw conclusions. But overall it all sounds very good. 

No idea about the damage. The box clearly got squashed quite badly. The poor little driver tubes were like pancakes. Not that I care though since I wasn't going to use them anyway. :wink: 

Edit:

Think I'm starting to prefer the L63/6080WA now they warmed up properly. Seems a little warmer, darker and full bodied.

Kaleb how was your amp shipped? Express or normal? And was it direct from Yuking himself?

I bought from an ebay reseller, normal shipping and my amp was also damaged on arrival.

In unrelated news I have bought the last of Old Guy Radiolas 6SJ7 mesh plates as I like the sound so much. Clean and detailed. Currently using the stock power tubes with them.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,167 of 6,903
Yes it was ordered directly from his website. Not sure if it was express or normal (can't even remember if there there was an option). It has the original box etc... I think normally it would be fine but with the rigours of shipping stuff half way around the globe I guess the risk of damage is always present. Thankfully in my case it was just a couple of cheap tubes and an easily replaceable switch.

I haven't tried any mesh plates yet. I might have a look around for some. 

I managed to blow up my cheap Thomson's 6080's by turning the amp off then on again too quick. Must remember not to do that again. :D. They glow properly but just don't produce any sound. Currently running GE 6J5GT and RCA 6AS7G Black Plates. Sounds pretty decent. Got a pair of Mullard 6080's on the way to replace the Thomson's too. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3,170 of 6,903
That is normal

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,171 of 6,903

Sorry I just saw your post. It got lost in all the pictures. :D

Sort of a slight harshness on the edge of the music notes.... I think it might have just been playing music before the tubes warm up actually. I now warm them up for 15 mins beforehand.

Just trying out G&E L63 and Thomson 6080WA. Seems to sound a bit darker. Need to listen more though.

I haven't got my DAC yet either, so I'm a little hesitant to draw conclusions. But overall it all sounds very good. 

No idea about the damage. The box clearly got squashed quite badly. The poor little driver tubes were like pancakes. Not that I care though since I wasn't going to use them anyway. :wink: 

Edit:

Think I'm starting to prefer the L63/6080WA now they warmed up properly. Seems a little warmer, darker and full bodied.

That sucks about your package. I was very nervous myself, but everything arrived without damage. As I said earlier, I experience the same sort of edginess you did initially. Once I learned the characteristics of this very unique amp, and became accustomed to its idiosyncratic volume controls, I experience a very smooth, but full and holographic audio experience. It is by far the best amp I have owned, for the HD650s in particular, and it has sounded lovely with the HD800s. 

I am not sure of the input tubes to which you are referring. I just picked up some mesh-plate Telefunken EF86s (requires an adapter), and they are very very good. 

Have you gotten your DAC yet? Which DAC were you looking at? 

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,172 of 6,903
It's def a great amp. :D

Yes my amp is the 'other' spec one. L63, 6C5, 6J5 etc... Not many people seem to have it, so it's a little harder finding tube recommendations.

I have the DAC also now. Went for a Chord 2Cute. Seem to be an awful lot of good reviews. Bit pricey though. I won't be buying any more gear any time soon. :wink:

Here is my set up now. Complete with Motorola 6J5GT and Mullard 6080WA. The best it has sounded so far.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,173 of 6,903
  It's def a great amp. :D

Yes my amp is the 'other' spec one. L63, 6C5, 6J5 etc... Not many people seem to have it, so it's a little harder finding tube recommendations.

I have the DAC also now. Went for a Chord 2Cute. Seem to be an awful lot of good reviews. Bit pricey though. I won't be buying any more gear any time soon. :wink:

Here is my set up now. Complete with Motorola 6J5GT and Mullard 6080WA. The best it has sounded so far.

Nice setup. I love the 339 with the HE-500 as well. If you ever get the chance to try it out, do. I am curious as to how your tubes differ from mine.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #3,174 of 6,903
Hi all I need help, no sound coming from tube amplifier - 339 La Figaro.

Initial problem, crackling sound heard through headphone.
Later, only one side got sound.
Now, totally no sound (left and right).

All connections checked
Tubes removed and refitted (using stock tubes)
Dac (MYTEK DIGITAL), settings checked

Still no sound

Thank you in advance

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #3,175 of 6,903
Take to repair shop, could be resistors.. or anything really.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #3,176 of 6,903
Try different tubes first as well
Could be resistors.
Are your cables connected correctly? (laugh all you want but everyone has been there lol)
Bypass DAC and feed straigt into 339 with an mp3 player
Check another headphone (crackling could be a bad contact at the plug)

Then take it to the shop or open it up and measure (don't do this if you have 2 left hands like me, it could be painful, very painful)

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,177 of 6,903
No updates yet? 
beerchug.gif
redface.gif

I say it might be resistors as when I had the amp looked at, they were bent out of place and needed re-soldering. I had an intermittent crackling issue similar to what you have reported.

Might also be the left/right channel cables, that which connects the RCA plug to the potentiometer. The cable itself might have been damaged in transit, or the soldering work may be undone at the potentiometer (volume).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back