La Figaro 339
Aug 14, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3,151 of 6,903
Glad your problem went away, but as far as the wiring and soldering on your amp, should not be that sloppy whether standard or a reference amp.  I was going to purchase one liked the circuit and the attention to detail, but after seeing a standard run of the mill production job, I would have to re-flow almost every solder joint.  I can see some cold solder joints just scanning the pics and looks like it was put together by a new worker or unskilled at the very least.  If I would have received one in that condition it would be back in china post haste.  Hope it works out for you.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,152 of 6,903
  Glad your problem went away, but as far as the wiring and soldering on your amp, should not be that sloppy whether standard or a reference amp.  I was going to purchase one liked the circuit and the attention to detail, but after seeing a standard run of the mill production job, I would have to re-flow almost every solder joint.  I can see some cold solder joints just scanning the pics and looks like it was put together by a new worker or unskilled at the very least.  If I would have received one in that condition it would be back in china post haste.  Hope it works out for you.

That is not good to hear, as until now I was under the impression that what I got was OK. Not nice and precise (like the pictures) but Ok. (I have 0 experience with soldering.)
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3,153 of 6,903

I wanted to post my impressions of the tubes I got, but I always postponed it, plus I also can't write about the sound in detail. Sorry about that, and the postponing.

Svetlana =C= 6H13C
RCA 6AS7G
Ken-rad 6AS7G
These are not the best for me, the highs are too rolled off, don't like them. Keeping them because I feel they will be good with the HD800s that I am currently waiting for it.

Did you think the 6H13C were too rolled off at the high end also?

Quote:

With input tubes it's more hard to notice difference.
I didn't like any of the above ones. They sounded a bit too "muddy".

I notice this with input tubes. Some will slightly distort vocals or muddy the sound (Sylvania 6SJ7WGT), and the 'better' tubes will be more lifelike (5693). Power tubes have a more pronounced effect on sound.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #3,154 of 6,903
Originally Posted by adeadcrab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you think the 6H13C were too rolled off at the high end also?

Yes they were too. I also thought they sounded thinner or less rich compared to the 6as7gs.
I tried to like them but I always ended up with the RCA 6080s instead at that time (until I got better.)

Later I was afraid the 5998s would have that kind of sound, but no they are completely different - for the better. :)

The best budget combo I think is the Mullard 6080WA + RCA 6J5

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,155 of 6,903
ok guys
here i go again
what is the reason for an amp to loose sparkle, prescence and all that?

my tubes are fine, the amp is fine, my ears are fine, headphones are fine
my bet still is bad electricity or something similar

this has happened since i started with my rolls HA43 pro, so is not the amp

im pretty sure is not my brain or my ears because is so drastic

i have read similar posts on guitar forums...

sooooo

what do you guys think

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #3,156 of 6,903
Tubes can be more dull sounding or quieter when they are going bad.... is it both channels or is the worse sound isolated to one channel?

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3,158 of 6,903

The problem went away with time. I don't understand how or why, but I didn't do anything. It seems it just needed to burn in. The amp works and sounds good. :)
I also noticed that my 339s internals are not like the pictures that are posted here by Yuking, but those are all premium or reference edition I think.
Mine is only the standard one. :frowning2:

I wanted to post my impressions of the tubes I got, but I always postponed it, plus I also can't write about the sound in detail. Sorry about that, and the postponing.

I have these pairs of tubes now:

Svetlana =C= 6H13C
RCA 6AS7G
Ken-rad 6AS7G
These are not the best for me, the highs are too rolled off, don't like them. Keeping them because I feel they will be good with the HD800s that I am currently waiting for it.

RCA 6080:  the first tube I liked, tho a bit too bright maybe. Perfect for gaming.
Just an example, with the RCA 6080 I could hear if the terrorists planted the bomb in CS:GO much much further away than with all the 6AS7Gs.
When I had the 6AS7Gs in, all my friends could hear the bomb ticking with their very cheap headphones, but I couldn't and I was like "What? Where is it??" Then they mocked me for buying an expensive amp and headphones and not even hearing the bomb lol.

Mullard 6080WA: better than RCA 6080, the best price/performance tube IMO.

Tung-sol 5998: Great tube! Better than mullard with a bit more bass and clarity.

Western Electric 421A: My favorite. Sounds (a bit) better than 5998. This is whats currently in my amp.

As long as I use the HD650, I will probably only use the 421A and if they die the 5998. They are the best, but unfortunately also expensive.

Now for the input tubes. I have:

RCA 6C5
Hitachi 6J5GT
Tronal 6J5GT
With input tubes it's more hard to notice difference.
I didn't like any of the above ones. They sounded a bit too "muddy".

RCA 6J5: The first input tube I liked. It is also the cheapest!
Hytron 6C5GT (dead after 1 day use) I liked these. R.I.P. :frowning2:
GEC CV1067: What I currently have in my amp. Sounds right. Never compared to the 6J5 though. :)

Now I'm waiting for the HD800 and I'm also upgrading my ODAC to the Violectric DAC V850 (that should arrive next monday). I'm curious how my tube preferences will change due to these upgrades. :)

I have same spec amp and HD800's. Only got it yesterday though. When it arrived it had a couple of smashed tubes and one of the power switches was broken. Not just cosmetic either, the thing didn't work. 

I ordered a new switch yesterday (KCD1-104 6Amp 250V 10Amp 125V if anyone is interested :wink: ). it arrived today, replaced it and it all seems to work well. In fact I had already tested amp by just wiring the switch connections together as a temporary fix. Shown in next photo.

New switch fitted:

I currently got RCA 6C5's and RCA 6AS7G. Since both tubes and headphones are new hard to make a definitive comment on the sound. At the moment it sounds good but a little 'edgy'. From what I've read this should smooth out as the new stuff is burned in. Your comments about the tubes are interesting though. I got a few others to try out, including 6J5 and 6080WA. Might have a look at the 5998 and 421A at some point too.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #3,159 of 6,903
Components in the amp itself (resistors), as opposed to the tubes need 50+ hours to settle in.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #3,160 of 6,903
I have same spec amp and HD800's. Only got it yesterday though. When it arrived it had a couple of smashed tubes and one of the power switches was broken. Not just cosmetic either, the thing didn't work. 

I ordered a new switch yesterday (KCD1-104 6Amp 250V 10Amp 125V if anyone is interested :wink: ). it arrived today, replaced it and it all seems to work well. In fact I had already tested amp by just wiring the switch connections together as a temporary fix. Shown in next photo.

New switch fitted:

I currently got RCA 6C5's and RCA 6AS7G. Since both tubes and headphones are new hard to make a definitive comment on the sound. At the moment it sounds good but a little 'edgy'. From what I've read this should smooth out as the new stuff is burned in. Your comments about the tubes are interesting though. I got a few others to try out, including 6J5 and 6080WA. Might have a look at the 5998 and 421A at some point too.

Not good about the switch and tubes. Was this likely a customs issue?

Could you explain what you mean by edginess? I actually think I know what you mean. It did go away with tube burn in and some tube rolling. It sounds like you have some decent tubes, but Im not familiar with the 6C5s.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,161 of 6,903

They should pack the amp better... It's good you could fix it fast.

Did you by any chance take pictures of the inside too?

The tubes I mentioned was used with the HD 650 only. So they may be different with the HD 800.
There was a post in this thread some time ago by Yuking where he recommends 6AS7G with L63 for the HD800. Maybe you could try to get some L63s.

Hope the edginess you mention goes away with burn-in.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #3,162 of 6,903
Yea I got some of those as well. :D

They are all NOS tubes though, so I need to burn them in before I swap them around.

No I didn't take pictures of the inside. I will do if I open it again.

Yea was quite lucky it was only the switch. I think proper polystyrene packing like big brand name products would be better (rather than the foam it came in). Really think and with a larger box.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #3,163 of 6,903
OK I removed the plate and took some photos. I might re-flow a few of the points but most of them look OK to me, if not as tidy as the custom variants. Need a decent soldering iron first. Mine current one is crap.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,164 of 6,903
  OK I removed the plate and took some photos. I might re-flow a few of the points but most of them look OK to me, if not as tidy as the custom variants. Need a decent soldering iron first. Mine current one is crap.

Other than your soldering complain I must say very well laid out chassis. point to point wiring is done to perfection!

Enjoy music 

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,165 of 6,903
Not good about the switch and tubes. Was this likely a customs issue?

Could you explain what you mean by edginess? I actually think I know what you mean. It did go away with tube burn in and some tube rolling. It sounds like you have some decent tubes, but Im not familiar with the 6C5s.

Sorry I just saw your post. It got lost in all the pictures. :D

Sort of a slight harshness on the edge of the music notes.... I think it might have just been playing music before the tubes warm up actually. I now warm them up for 15 mins beforehand.

Just trying out G&E L63 and Thomson 6080WA. Seems to sound a bit darker. Need to listen more though.

I haven't got my DAC yet either, so I'm a little hesitant to draw conclusions. But overall it all sounds very good. 

No idea about the damage. The box clearly got squashed quite badly. The poor little driver tubes were like pancakes. Not that I care though since I wasn't going to use them anyway. :wink: 

Edit:

Think I'm starting to prefer the L63/6080WA now they warmed up properly. Seems a little warmer, darker and full bodied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back