La Figaro 339
May 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,945 of 6,903
Telefunken EF 86's arrived today. I am immediately very impressed with how they sound "out of the box." I will need more time to formulate coherent impressions, but it seems fairly certain even now that the EF 86 adapter is a fairly compulsory addition. 

Some photos:

May 8, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,946 of 6,903
  Compared to neutral sounding SS amps, the LF 339 has more bass presence. Not much though IMO. Slightly more noticeable kick drum sound, bass guitar tone while remaining natural. Treble sounds just a few decibels softer than on SS amps IMO. The low end impact from this amp is especially good for the DT880 as it has less emphasised bass. HD800 would be great too, if I only had the money.. would be my end game setup.

In terms of general sound, there is more separation between instruments in the soundstage, and more air/micro-detail than other SS amps I have used in the 300 dollar range.

I have just yesterday noticed new detail in albums that I have listened to.. 300 times (literally). First time trying them out with the 339. The detailed timbre of vocals, nuance of guitar tone, location of instruments more defined etc. This is using the Grado GS1000i which are a 32 ohm headphone.

So if this is the general consensus is that the LF 339 is too warm with boosted bass and a treble roll off, then I'm out. While the soundstage and dynamics sound good, I like a fairly flat & accurately detailed sound signature. Does everybody here generally agree with the above (bold) description of the sound signature, or are there any tubes that are able to add enough clarity & flatness to the sound? Thanks!

May 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #2,947 of 6,903
So if this is the general consensus is that the LF 339 is too warm with boosted bass and a treble roll off, then I'm out. While the soundstage and dynamics sound good, I like a fairly flat & accurately detailed sound signature. Does everybody here generally agree with the above (bold) description of the sound signature, or are there any tubes that are able to add enough clarity & flatness to the sound? Thanks!

I dont have much time to reply now, but no one said "too warm." That is your interpretation. "Too" is not a neutral adverb in this sense; it is pejorative, implying excess.

I do not think it is "too" warm. I find it just right.

If you want an absolute "neutral" otl amp, you might want to go Valhalla 2. You might honestly be happier with starting slow anyway.

May 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #2,948 of 6,903
   the LF 339 is too warm with boosted bass and a treble roll off

I definitely wouldn't characterize it like that. I have heard specific tube combinations that make it sounds that way, but it's highly customizable depending on which tubes you use.

Sorry, not the answer you want, but your question doesn't have a black-and-white answer.

May 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,949 of 6,903
More on the neutral side, with a suggestion of added tube warmth. Not as warm as other tube amps. Tubes can add to the warmth or make the sound more SS (solid state). I prefer a neutral sound as well and I quite like the amp.

May 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,950 of 6,903
More on the neutral side, with a suggestion of added tube warmth. Not as warm as other tube amps. Tubes can add to the warmth or make the sound more SS (solid state). I prefer a neutral sound as well and I quite like the amp.

I could not agree more!

May 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,951 of 6,903
Liu, try the stock power tubes if you like and see if they make the sound more neutral

May 9, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,955 of 6,903
if ur in that boat u should try its sibbling.. The darkvoice 337...they sound more neutral then teh 339.. More ss like..probably of of the most ss sounding tube amp existing.. But with the beautiful traits of a good tube amp almost no ss amp has.. Maybe an idea? Its a powerhouse with the right tubes.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back